Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:14 PM   #1

Elctrical issues. Need some insight

I tried the search function but couldn't find anything that pertained to my issue.
I have a 2017 Attitude 28ibg. Everything works fine off shore power, but only some things work off gen power.

On gen power none of my outlets work, nor does the main A/C. The microwave still works as does the A/C in the bedroom. I pulled the cover off the power panel and have power to only one side of the breaker panel on gen power, but the entire panel is hot on shore power.

Sorry, but this makes absolutely no sense to me.
I'm hoping someone might know, or have some insight to what the heck is going on.

Hauling my rig back to Eclipse for more warrantee work is a real pain.
I would much more prefer to fix it myself as long as it's a simple fix, but right now I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance, Andy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2016, 07:22 PM   #2

Do you have an inverter ? Sounds classic. Like it's not turned on.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:27 PM   #3

No inverter.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:34 PM   #4

sounds like one of the two breakers on the generator has tripped. Check the breakers at the generator.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:36 PM   #5

It sounds like you have a 50 Amp service. IF that is correct it sounds like one leg of your generator feed is not working.

If you have a 120/240 VAC split phase generator it could be a breaker on the generator or one leg of the transfer switch is not making contact.

If you have a 120 VAC generator then there should be a combiner link on the generator side to feed the generator to both L1 & L2 of your 50 Amp panel the same way a 30 Amp to 50 Amp adapter works.

I would be reading my generator manual as a start. If you do not have a paper copy find the model number and Google is your friend. Most operator manuals are on line and will have the specifications. If the generator has a dual breaker shut if off and back on when you are checking the model number. That might solve your problem.

You should also find the transfer switch anyway. With the generator off and the shore cord unplugged tighten the screws that clamp the wires into the terminal blocks on the transfer switch. They loosen over time. Don't over tighten that just brakes things.

Figure out what you have and come back with more information for more suggestions. Include what you found out so far at that point.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:40 PM   #6

Ok, so what I have is an Onan 5500 gen. I do have 50 amp service. Found the 2 30 amp breakers on the gen...one was popped. All is well.

Thanks
(feel kinda stupid now. LOL)
Old 08-27-2016, 07:41 PM   #7

Two votes for one of the AC breakers has tripped on the generator. Open the generator door pull the cover off the generator and check the breakers. I have had them trip on occasion during transfer switch going from shore to generator
Old 08-27-2016, 07:49 PM   #8

Thank you guys for the help. Still a little green (very green) to the whole RV thing, but learning.

Thanks again, Andy
Old 08-28-2016, 10:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayovan View Post
Thank you guys for the help. Still a little green (very green) to the whole RV thing, but learning.

Thanks again, Andy
Glad the problem turned out to be a simple solution. We were all new at this once. Most of the problems we encounter will have been experienced by one or more on this board. Don't be afraid to ask questions, that's how we learn.

Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote