Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2005, 02:06 PM   #1

I watched a thread on the "other" site about Big Brother and potential new legislation that would effectively lower the legal age limit for youth ATV riders and their ATV's.. This post is not so much about the legislation but what I perceived as a bias towards ATV's and ATV riders in general.. A few of the posts aimed their sights squarely at those that choose to ride ATV's as somehow less than, I don't know, talented, able, or cool?? I mean statements like "teach ˜em to ride two wheels if you got real skills or it takes real skill to ride two wheels". [moderator edit] As if any of that would do any good or change the situation.. It would seem like the two wheelers would gladly feed us to the wolves in order to keep big brother off of their backs. Admittedly, there has been an explosion in the acquisition and use of ATV's on public and private land over the last decade or so and many of the users lack the mental capacity of a grape.. But, couldn't the same be said for many "two wheelers"? I for one find the outdoors to be just as enjoyable on an ATV and it is what my kids prefer at this juncture of their lives. The separation of enthusiasts is more detrimental to the whole than the few bad apples in either camp should we ever have to go to war with Washington or the greenies.. I hope the elitist attitudes on either side are just a minority and not shared by many.. I for one respect all riders (two wheels or four) equally and condemn those on either side that shed a bad light on "our" sport and land. Is it me? Or is there a division there?

\Noob

06 WW LE3305
TH_NOOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2005, 02:06 PM   #2

I watched a thread on the "other" site about Big Brother and potential new legislation that would effectively lower the legal age limit for youth ATV riders and their ATV's.. This post is not so much about the legislation but what I perceived as a bias towards ATV's and ATV riders in general.. A few of the posts aimed their sights squarely at those that choose to ride ATV's as somehow less than, I don't know, talented, able, or cool?? I mean statements like "teach ˜em to ride two wheels if you got real skills or it takes real skill to ride two wheels". [moderator edit] As if any of that would do any good or change the situation.. It would seem like the two wheelers would gladly feed us to the wolves in order to keep big brother off of their backs. Admittedly, there has been an explosion in the acquisition and use of ATV's on public and private land over the last decade or so and many of the users lack the mental capacity of a grape.. But, couldn't the same be said for many "two wheelers"? I for one find the outdoors to be just as enjoyable on an ATV and it is what my kids prefer at this juncture of their lives. The separation of enthusiasts is more detrimental to the whole than the few bad apples in either camp should we ever have to go to war with Washington or the greenies.. I hope the elitist attitudes on either side are just a minority and not shared by many.. I for one respect all riders (two wheels or four) equally and condemn those on either side that shed a bad light on "our" sport and land. Is it me? Or is there a division there?

\Noob

06 WW LE3305
TH_NOOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 02:33 PM   #3

Since you followed that thread, then I'm sure you saw my posts over there too. I was pretty disgusted with what I was reading, especially from our fellow RVers. I thought we were all in this together (well, maybe in a perfect world?) regardless what we rode, 2 wheels vs. 4 vs. 4 legs as in horseback, or what we camped in, tent, bed of truck or a trailer/moho, we just all enjoy recreating outdoors. If all of us as a whole do not stand together, we are going to lose more than what age we can allow our children to ride...look at the open spaces we have lost, regardless if you want to just camp and hike or camp and ride. It all comes down to another right taken away.

And no, it isn't you, the division was obvious. I guess I just wish everyone would see that a right is a right is a right, regardless if you feel it's wrong.

I'm getting away from your topic....I'll stop now
Old 10-21-2005, 03:45 PM   #4

I noticed the bias of the bike riders against ATV's too. What really got me was the moderator (dedmiston) put in his anti quad .02 cents and then closed the thread before I could respond.

In light of the feelings of the bike riders on that forum who are going to the Dove Springs Rally, I'll be keeping my quad riding family home this November. I don't need there holier then thou attitudes.

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 04:23 PM   #5

I have not read the thread yet...it is 5 pages and was started this morning; so I guess I'll get reading.

If it is what I think it is...I agree that we need to stand united, not divided, the powers that be would love to know that we are knocking one another and not them.

Without further a-due (sp?), let me get reading.

2004 Suzuki LT-Z400LE
Aaron H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 04:45 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by high desert:
I noticed the bias of the bike riders against ATV's too. What really got me was the moderator (dedmiston) put in his anti quad .02 cents and then closed the thread before I could respond.

In light of the feelings of the bike riders on that forum who are going to the Dove Springs Rally, I'll be keeping my quad riding family home this November. I don't need there holier then thou attitudes.

Wes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, that's all the more reason to go to the Rally.
1. Last year, there was no Holier Than Thou attitudes between the bike rides and the ATVers. Everyone got along fine.
2. You should go to set an example for the various bike riders that may have issues with ATV riders. Show them that not all ATVers are reckless.
3. The worst thing is that you're willing to cave into pressure from someone else. If enough people do that, we don't need to worry about the govt, we'll destroy ourselves.

Please don't let the opinions of a few people ruin what's going to be a good time.

2007 Rally site
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 06:32 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by diirk:
[QUOTE]In light of the feelings of the bike riders on that forum who are going to the Dove Springs Rally, I'll be keeping my quad riding family home this November. I don't need there holier then thou attitudes.

Wes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with Dirk. No problems that I noticed, everybody was cool. Like dirt bike people are any less reckless than quad people? It's just the same old stuff. Ford guys don't like Chevy guys, skiers don't like snowboarders, fly-fishermen hate non fly-fishermen and the Tatum sand buggy people don't like the Funco buggy people, blah,blah, blah. The more you ignore the "my stuff is better than your stuff" people the happier you'll be.

Of course my stuff IS really better than other people's stuff, so in general it is easier for me to feel sorry for them.

Flame on!!!!!!!

04 WW SLC3505 For Sale
brianzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:17 PM   #8

I couldn't agree with Eric more...and Aaron! I thought you'd out and about with your rig this weekend! Did you get my PIR offer, buddy?

I have NEVER noticed any inequality mentalities between 2,4, or even 3 wheelers. I have noticed some between the 600cc and below vs. the rails- but only tempered with the respect of the two classes and what damage they could do to each other. I was very surprised at the veracity displayed with all the posters...NOT the kind of experience we've had, but then maybe we're a sheltered bunch.

And I certainly agree that parents need to be more of the discipline that the government, but then again, I see which way it can go if they don't step up to the plate.

My $0.02...
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 08:10 PM   #9

If I recall, all our gatherings are about 50/50
and we all have a great time

1st annual......

Another gathering at Dove Springs, May 2005...

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 08:38 PM   #10

Bless you Howie...my sentiments exactly! One question: are all of you enjoying the desert together? OH MY! How dare you!

Seriously, looks like it depends what kinda crew you hang with...you CAN choose you friends...and I choose you guys!
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 06:22 AM   #11

It's not so much the 2-wheel vs 4-wheel thing that gets me, because I could go on and on about what Lampshade and WWFan said...there is always going to be some petty controversy. What I'd like to see (my $.02) is when you come across this, be the bigger person, remind the other person, group, etc. that there is a bigger picture here, and yet we all have our opinions, let's not knock eachother down. My beef is the fellow RVers (not us riding ppl) from all over the US who are so opposed to bikes in general that they will be the ones who will hurt our sport by not standing together because it all comes down to the same thing....RECREATION (well and some other things too)

Can't we all just get along....
Old 10-22-2005, 06:35 AM   #12

That's a good point. It seems that in many cases, the same blue-hairs that hate TH's also dislike ATV's, motorcycles or anything else that may disturb their sweet little Yorkie named Muffin. Then add to that the Green's that invade our forums and post their whiney garbage.

Also, I think that in some cases there may be folks intentionally instigating disagreements on our forums just to create some discension in the ranks.

2007 Rally site
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 04:40 PM   #13

Hey now whats up with this whole 2 vs. 4 wheel thing? I just bought a bike with training wheels (quad) and now this!!<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In light of the feelings of the bike riders on that forum who are going to the Dove Springs Rally, I'll be keeping my quad riding family home this November. I don't need there holier then thou attitudes </div></BLOCKQUOTE> High Desert, that is no reason to deprive your family from such a family fun filled event because of a couple peoples comments.
Oh, and BTW I agree with diirk when he says " Please don't let the opinions of a few people ruin what's going to be a good time."

CP

2005 Attitude 26'FSAK
Crime Pays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:08 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Crime Pays:
Hey now whats up with this whole 2 vs. 4 wheel thing? I just bought a bike with training wheels (quad) and now this!!<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In light of the feelings of the bike riders on that forum who are going to the Dove Springs Rally, I'll be keeping my quad riding family home this November. I don't need there holier then thou attitudes </div></BLOCKQUOTE> High Desert, that is no reason to deprive your family from such a family fun filled event because of a couple peoples comments.
Oh, and BTW I agree with diirk when he says " Please don't let the opinions of a few people ruin what's going to be a good time."

CP </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definately... And I know any of my comments about Skiiiilz should be taken with a grain of salt... It's my lame attempt at levity... 2 or 4, we all need to make sure we are careful.

Hey, uh... CP... Can I date your Avatar!

Jamman is offline   Reply With Quote