Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2017, 01:06 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fencing for rear ramp to use as a patio?

I saw the THor Outlaws have an option for fencing around the rear ramp, in order to use it like an elevated patio (attached pix show rear patio on Outlaw MH).
I haven't done any research, so maybe this is already very popular?
Has anyone tried installing a fence like this on their rear ramps?
Do-able?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thor rear patio-1.jpg
Views:	1202
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	154669   Click image for larger version

Name:	thor rear patio-2.jpg
Views:	1318
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	154670  

baloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2017, 06:56 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Whoops -- nevermind. I did a search on this site and found many responses and ideas.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Steve,

Just in case there was too much info/options...here's our low cost alternative:

Name:	IMG_0405.jpg
Views:	1275
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	155017

6 panel SuperYard pen surround the ramp well
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00020L78M?th=1

Folds-up when not in use so there's is no loss of front-to-rear depth in the garage like the fixed mount ramps.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:06 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Steve,

Just in case there was too much info/options...here's our low cost alternative:

6 panel SuperYard pen surround the ramp well

Folds-up when not in use so there's is no loss of front-to-rear depth in the garage like the fixed mount ramps.

Best luck
Steve/Kim,
JUST saw your response. Looks like a good idea! Certainly good enough for the little that we will be RVing.
Is the fencing held down in any manner, besides its own weight?

I had called a Thor dealer, and they told me that they did a patio-fence conversion for someone with a pre-2014 Outlaw. They ordered Lippert's (LCI) fencing, and Lippert required that they change the entire ramp door because of some difference in structural requirements (!?) -- to the order of $5000! Lippert, BTW, will NOT sell their fencing to individuals -- they deal only with authorized dealerships. I emailed them and they confirmed this.
Just for others' information, here is a link to their product (Toy Hauler Ramp Door Party Deck ). (Also see attached pic from their broachure.)

The Parts Guy said that it was because the original older doors lacked some internal bracing because: 1) there was a difference in a ramp supporting a moving/momentary weight like a car, versus bearing under a sustained weight; and 2) the edges where the fencing would bolt into did not have bracing underneath, such that through-bolts would deform the inner and outer door skins when cinched tight.

Me, I am sceptical of this theory -- sounds too much like a $tealer-dealer.
I saw on other threads on this Toy Hauler site that others have put jacks and other types of supports underneath the ramp doors as a safety precaution.
That is what we will also do.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lippert_Party_Deck.jpg
Views:	1203
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	155054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lippert_Party_Deck-2.jpg
Views:	982
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	155055  

Old 03-16-2017, 08:05 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I knew Lippert (LCI) would not sell direct to the public. I had called/asked myself about the old fence style - made of aluminum tube and netting.

Name:   attachment-7.jpg
Views: 1438
Size:  39.9 KB

So...if you really wanted their system, the "trick" would be to find a dealership willing to order the fence system for you. Then a DIY install would be easy.

Or, call Tweety's RV about this:
http://tweetys.com/mor-ryde-mrd54-02...tio-steps.aspx
Or call Dyer's RV about this:
http://www.dyersonline.com/mor-ryde-...tio-steps.html

A fence system install, or for all of us that have a deck mod on the ramp, these are really very easy to do. $TEALER-DEALER is right. The ramp system is a box steel frame covered top and bottom - capable of carrying over 2,700 lb on ours. The ramp edge is totally box-framed and easily accepts the mount points for these things.

Not having little kids, we don't use the fencing very often...so the SuperYard is an easy compromise. It could be clamped down, but we just use bungies at the ends by the door opening to keep it from slipping around. Plus, our ramp design has a fold-up kick-out panel hinged at the end, so the Super Yard cannot slide off the end unless lifted up-over the kick-out.

Another member here actually made a pretty simple DIY ramp fence from PVC pipe and netting...light weight and cheap.

Name:	attachment-8.jpg
Views:	2034
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	155068

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote