Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:21 PM   #15

Simple Tom...there's this jolly 'ol feller that will let me know!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2006, 09:56 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ah...seven days......I understand!

Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:36 PM   #17

I recently did the same mod to my trailer except it was the 70 Amp Progressive Dynamics unit. I stayed with the 6 AWG wire already in the trailer but after tracing it all out I re-wired it removing removing over 14 feet of wire to reduce the voltage drop. I also installed the tri-metric battery monitor. It's kind of a nerd thing but I love it. I have 6 T105's and I know exactly whats going on with my batteries now. The first trip out my friends made fun of me. The second trip they stopped laughing and started asking when I wasn't having any battery problems and they were. I got 2 trips under my belt with this new set up and the most amps I've seen the charger send back to the batteries has been about 55 (and that drops off quick). If you run your generator periodically you will love it. Just one other tip - I did have to buy a little bit of wire and the high strand count wires are much more flexible. West Marine was a good source for wire and they have tools in the store to cut and terminate the large lugs on the big wire sizes.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:08 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Well, got the converter in, haven't changed the wire yet. Will have to run new wire as the old stuff goes through the wall so will just see how this does with the 8 gage for now. Also had to change out the AC box for a 20 amp version. You wouldn't believe what WW had in there for an outlet box. Had to install new box, outlet and all. Then naturally they had to change the wiring from one converter to the other so had to think about that for a minute or two but its working!

Just had to throw in the last pict to show how close things are with the slide out on the Terry, just for grins. Since these thumbs are all I can put in without going through the approval process and uploading to iRV2 you'll have to go to my picts if you want to see the larger version.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:31 PM   #19

Tom, that looks great. 80amps, that ought to do you. Take a look in the List of Popular TH Modifications thread. I installed my transfer switch and 55amp converter a week or so ago and used it during the holidays for 5 days. So far it has lived up to being the best mod I have done. 55amps with the Honda gen running for an hour in the morning and an hour at night is all it took for the whole 5 days we were at Glamis. I just smiled when ever the wife needed to nuke something or the kids needed to blow dry their hair as they just started the Onan and I sat their drinking my coffee. That transfer switch is the bomb. I will never have to unplug the adaptor and plug or unplug that 50 amp cord from the 50 amp receptacle again!

Griz

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:40 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
You know Griz, I thought about that and I may change my mind but right now, either I am hooked up or I'm on generator so, a transfer switch isn't on my list of needs right now, who knows what tomorrow will bring. Sounds good for your applic though.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:50 PM   #21

Sounds like we both got what we need. That 80amp charger of yours should charge your batts in about 45 min and run all your 12 volt needs at the same time. I was very surprised with what basically doubling the amps did for the amount of time it took to charge mine. I think with the stereo and TV and Inverter and fridge and what every else running that poor little 30 amp probably had only about 15 amps or less going to the batts. Now the 55 runs everything and still has the capacity to charge the batts in about an hour. I was very very happy for the 5 days....almost in a trance from happiness.

06 LE 3505
Old 01-05-2007, 09:01 PM   #22

I really like this idea...a DLS-75 and a ATS is in our near future. Tom: obviously, it's no big deal to replace the wiring to the batts. As far as the ATS, I'm just a lazy SOB....and it was confirmed tonight when after our winds took out all the power in town and we had to bunk up in the SLC that I figured that out. Of course, I had to reconfigure the supply when the outside temp said 39*, which is EXACTLY the point where I determined I need to order the darn thing TOMORROW!

Not to mention I need to get aransfer switch for the house so we can run it off the genny when this cr@p happens...
Old 01-06-2007, 08:07 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Well, unlike you I just haven't seen the need yet to have the ATS, maybe later. Now the ATS for the house might be worth it. I didn't know it got that cold out there. We are warmer than you right now.

As for the Bat wiring, since it runs through the wall to somewhere inside the trailer before going to the bat it'd be impossible to change it out. I'll have to run a separate wire underneath to the bats and put it in conduit so thats why I figured I'd take it in steps. Is your converter, breaker box and all still in an electrical compartment about halfway down the side of the trailer like mine?

I figure it has to work better than my old Iota 30amp converter with just a standard charge rate, mine was old enough that it didn't have the hot charge jumper to boost the voltage either. I did put a meter on and checked the voltage in boost and reg mode, works like a charm, put 14.6 volts out in boost and 13.6 in normal.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:54 PM   #24

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:
I really like this idea...a DLS-75 and a ATS is in our near future. Tom: obviously, it's no big deal to replace the wiring to the batts. As far as the ATS, I'm just a lazy SOB....and it was confirmed tonight when after our winds took out all the power in town and we had to bunk up in the SLC that I figured that out. Of course, I had to reconfigure the supply when the outside temp said 39*, which is EXACTLY the point where I determined I need to order the darn thing TOMORROW!

Not to mention I need to get transfer switch for the house so we can run it off the genny when this cr@p happens... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sean that's a funny story...Boy was that wind blowing or what!. We had a great big pine tree fall in the neighbor hood. I have a tree that I will be taking out in the back yard that didn't fair well during the last wind storm.

I was almost hoping the power would go out now that I have my dad's 1973 Honda Gen all restored and working great. Plus having the little 2000i I think we would have been able power a few lights and the heater along with the Direct TV and with a fire we would have been camping at home.

I like your Idea of the 75 amp IOTA. I would have gone bigger but wanted to still run off the Honda so the 55 was about my max draw for the little guy. I will say this though....any converter bigger than the stock 30 is a breath of fresh air to the charging circuit. Wait till you use that transfer switch, it's quite the gismo. Even if you very rarely use it its still cool to listen for the change over click. For the $150 I think I would have done this mode from the get go if I would have realized how cool it was. I'll even use it at the house in the summer because I need a 100ft extension cord to plug the trailer in and it pops my 20 amp home breaker trying to use the AC in front of my house.

Anyway their real easy to install and where all the wires go is all labeled so you can't screw it up!.....So stop being lazy and Git Er Dun.

Griz

06 LE 3505
Old 01-07-2007, 04:03 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Yeah Sean, like Griz said, get'er done!