Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:30 PM   #15

IMHO, The best possible tires you can buy are BF Goodrich Commercial LT tires. Plus they are made in the USA.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2014, 01:27 PM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJerryP View Post
Something is wrong with the RV industry, and the consumers.
The idea that it is acceptable to buy a new unit, and then run to the tire store to spend a bunch of money on new tires is so insane...
I understand the idea behind it, and understand the thinking is justified for safety but really think about it.
What else are they cutting corners on???

In a word... EVERYTHING. These things are held together with glue and staples. If they actually built these things well to home quality, they'd be unaffordable to most buyers. So, you have to do your homework and know what your getting into. Should you have to, no. Is it the reality of the industry, yes. In my case, the next model year of my trailer, Goodyear G tires were offered as a factory option. I would have ordered them if they were available. At least Heartland is giving it's customers the option now. I only wish it was that way a year earlier...

Old 06-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Check with a Towmax STR tire dealer. They currently are warranted for 5years material/workmanship. Good luck.
I have filed a product safety complaint through the company that provides the tires to Forest River. A manufacturer's rep is supposed to contact me before the weekend. One of the things I have to provide is an estimate of the cost of the damage. I took my trailer to the repair shop for that yesterday. The service writer at the RV repair shop says that the tire people usually pay. Fingers crossed.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
In a word... EVERYTHING. These things are held together with glue and staples. If they actually built these things well to home quality, they'd be unaffordable to most buyers. So, you have to do your homework and know what your getting into. Should you have to, no. Is it the reality of the industry, yes. In my case, the next model year of my trailer, Goodyear G tires were offered as a factory option. I would have ordered them if they were available. At least Heartland is giving it's customers the option now. I only wish it was that way a year earlier...

My friend who has owned a lot of RVs over the years says they are all Junk but they are just different levels of Junk.... It seems often his analysis is spot on.
I have to say, my experience on this list has opened my eyes, and educated me a lot.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:32 PM   #19

40 complaints about Powerking Tires

Old 06-22-2014, 12:33 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJerryP View Post
Something is wrong with the RV industry, and the consumers.
The idea that it is acceptable to buy a new unit, and then run to the tire store to spend a bunch of money on new tires is so insane...
I understand the idea behind it, and understand the thinking is justified for safety but really think about it.
What else are they cutting corners on???
I was pretty down on my RV manufacturer when I 1st got mine and learned about the reputation of these tires. I was fortunate to change mine out for Michellin XPS Ribs, another quality commercial LT like the BFG's, before my 1st trip. I was pretty bitter about having to spend that much money until I finally decided that the Towmax tires are just sacrificial throw aways for delivery. Looking at the price to upgrade to the G614's that Heartland offers, I came out about even. I started out with fresh tires and some delivery driver didn't tow my rig with high dollar tires 2K mi at 75 mph, under inflated, and running over who knows what. I was also fortunate that I was able to trade my bombs for some concrete work on my RV carport. They are now happily cruising around town hauling form lumber.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:45 PM   #21

2,000 miles at up to 75mph on my new STR's @ 80psi. If they don't hold up, I'll get something else next time.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:01 PM   #22

Trlr GVWR = 13,800

Hitch wt = 2,070 (15%)

Weight on wheels = 11,730

Max load per tire = 3500# x 4 = 14,000

Designed safety margin = 16%
Old 07-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
I have filed a product safety complaint through the company that provides the tires to Forest River. A manufacturer's rep is supposed to contact me before the weekend. One of the things I have to provide is an estimate of the cost of the damage. I took my trailer to the repair shop for that yesterday. The service writer at the RV repair shop says that the tire people usually pay. Fingers crossed.
Curious how it all went.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
I would bet, given the amount of complaints and failures, that there is a corporate strategy that ensures that the company pays out little or nothing.
That is the biggest reason I put a TPMS on our rig. Isn't going to prevent a blowout but it will tell me when things are going sideways and I can stop before more damage is done.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Curious how it all went
It goes on slowly. The tire company seems to be open and interested. They sent a UPS man for the 2 tires and are analyzing them. Still waiting on parts cost for my repair estimate. I made temporary repairs and am back on the road.