Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2014, 06:30 PM   #1

Forest River Tire Problems - China bombs?

I had a blowout on my 2013 FR XLR 300X12 Thunderbolt. My first indication that something was wrong was when I noticed rubber chunks flying off the trailer when looking in the right side rearview mirror.

I called Coach-Net and they sent a guy out to put on the spare. There was some damage to the body. I was 375 miles from home with no spare, and running on 4 tires just like the one that blew up. I limped home, driving slow and stopping frequently. I was happy to get home.

I wasn't happy about the tire trouble. I felt like I had done everything right. My camper was not overloaded, I was driving 62mph, I had checked the tires that morning, the tires only had 6000 miles on them (my camper was new in April 2013). I didn't have enough tire left to do any fault analysis, but I felt like the parts of the tire had separated and the tire had come apart all at once.

I wasn't about to put the same poop back on my trailer, so I order 5 new Hankook F19 7.50R16 Load range G tires. I also initiated conversation with Forest River through my dealer to try and get them to help with the cost to repair the camper.

When the new tires came in, and I had them installed, I found that one of the take-off tires was about to come apart. There was a noticeable bulge in the side of the tire. On the inside of the tire, there was 2 large bubbles indicating to me parts of the tire were coming apart. This tire was on the opposite side from the blowout, and on the front axle.

The problem I found in the 2nd bad tire seem to clearly indicate quality control issues. I am now thinking that I should get some money for tires.

I have had several email exchanges with my dealer. They say it is a Forest River problem. Forest River says my unit is out of warranty, and they don't have an obligation to help. The Forest River Rep provided the number for a representative from the company that provided the tires. I called the number (Lionshead Tire 574.533.xxxx) and get a voice mail that only identifies an individual - not any indication that it is a business. I have not had any response from the message I left.

Today's lesson is that I shouldn't have taken delivery of the camper with the tires that were provided by the factory. I am going to continue to try to get some compensation for the damage to my unit, and the value of the tires I took off the camper . Advice and opinions are appreciated.
andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2014, 09:18 PM   #2

What was your date of purchase of the unit?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:22 PM   #3

April 2013.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:09 AM   #4

Then technically you are out of warranty. Unless Forest River makes an exception, no luck there. In all my warranty dealings with them, they are very fair and helpful.
Now, your recourse would be insurance because this is a collision. Insurance has almost always paid for blowout damage. Other option is that tire company.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:06 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
It's no secret that all ST tires are prone to failure, all we need to do is read the many forums available. Every trailer I have owned with ST tires had tire issues, boat trailers, enclosed trailers & travel trailers.
The first thing I did with our current rig (42' triple axel TH) was change the wheels and tires, Lite Truck tires are IMO the only way to go.
Sorry to hear about you tire issue and hope all works out well for you.

My advise to anyone purchasing a trailer new or used is not to accept the unit with ST tires.
soundman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:46 AM   #6

My dealer says that this is a factory issue. They have given me the numbers for both Forest River and Lionshead Tire & Wheel (who supplies the tires to Forest River). FWIW, I now have the right number for Lionshead. The first time they sent it to me there was a typo error.

Yes, I am out of warranty by 1 1/2 months. Still, I expect tires that will last more than a year of easy use. I hope that the tires will not fail in a way that damages my trailer. I expect that the tires and wheels would have been balanced before installation.

The fact that tire problems on trailers seems to be a chronic seems would indicate that there is no margin of error in the formula used to select the correct size tire and/or there are some serious quality control issues with the tires being provided.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
The fact that tire problems on trailers seems to be a chronic seems would indicate that there is no margin of error in the formula used to select the correct size tire and/or there are some serious quality control issues with the tires being provided.
Definitely, both of the above.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:28 AM   #8

I tried using a magnifying glass on one of the pictures, but was unable to make out the date code. What is the date code on your tires?

Thanks, Dan
Pelledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:59 AM   #9

Ahhh another China bomb tire thread. Do some research and you will find literally hundreds of posts about Chinese ST tire failures. They are cheap junk! The best solution is installing quality LT tires and go. The next option if you have 7000 pound axles is to install 17.5 inch commercial tires. On really heavy trailers this one change has eliminated most tire problems for many people.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:53 PM   #10

I believe the date code is 2412. Not sure what month or if that is part of the code, but year is 2012. My trailer was purchased in april 2013.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:23 PM   #11

Those were made 24th week of 2012. When was the unit built? No matter because they were only a couple years old when they let go. Don't get me wrong, I agree a tire should last longer, but when a mfg puts on good, pricey parts, I hear people complain about the price. Not saying you are, just in general.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:06 AM   #12

Check with a Towmax STR tire dealer. They currently are warranted for 5years material/workmanship. Good luck.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:48 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Good job posting pics. Luckily we did enough research before using our rig that we swapped to Goodyear G614's as soon as we got home from the dealer. However, most people wouldn't think they would need to swap out brand new tires. The more people that post problems and dramatic pictures, the more it will be common knowledge and people will start swapping them out before the problem happens...
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
Good job posting pics. Luckily we did enough research before using our rig that we swapped to Goodyear G614's as soon as we got home from the dealer. However, most people wouldn't think they would need to swap out brand new tires. The more people that post problems and dramatic pictures, the more it will be common knowledge and people will start swapping them out before the problem happens...
Something is wrong with the RV industry, and the consumers.
The idea that it is acceptable to buy a new unit, and then run to the tire store to spend a bunch of money on new tires is so insane...
I understand the idea behind it, and understand the thinking is justified for safety but really think about it.
What else are they cutting corners on???
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote