Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #1

fresh water tank ?

New to this fifth wheel toy hauler, actually my new toy hauler will not be ready from the factory for another month. My question: do people travel with there fresh water tank full? I would think they dont. I know i will be traveling to a few places that do not have water hook ups, or any kinda hook up. Could i fill my water tank with a garden hose at a truck stop close to my destination? The tank in the trailer holds 100 gals.
thanks
aspeyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #2

It depends on your trucks GCWR and GVW, and how much CCC your TH has left over after everything is loaded. 100G of water weighs 834#. I nearly always travel with a full fresh water tank. This allows us to dry camp anytime we decide to stop, and my truck 5er rig has the capacity to haul the weight. When you travel with an empty tank you cannot stop anywhere and use the restroom in your RV, wash up, etc.
This is yet another reason to observe weight limits for both truck and trailer.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I seldom ever carry more than a quarter of a tank of fresh water. Just enough to get us to our location.
However it all depends on where you are going.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:45 AM   #4

As far as GCWR i will not be overweight. Pin weight, i may be over 500lbs. all these numbers drive me crazy! i will not really know the true numbers until i weigh it. Anyone know a good place to weigh truck and trailer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
It depends on your trucks GCWR and GVW, and how much CCC your TH has left over after everything is loaded. 100G of water weighs 834#. I nearly always travel with a full fresh water tank. This allows us to dry camp anytime we decide to stop, and my truck 5er rig has the capacity to haul the weight. When you travel with an empty tank you cannot stop anywhere and use the restroom in your RV, wash up, etc.
This is yet another reason to observe weight limits for both truck and trailer.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:22 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
It depends on the destination for us. On a short weekend trip to a CG with full hook ups the fresh water is empty. On a long trip like our yearly snowbird trek to Fl and back the tank always starts out full so we can shower along the way. The convenience is worth the weight to us.

You would think your 5er was designed to handle the weight. If your tow vehicle is up to it and you want/need to go full or water, why not?
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:46 AM   #6

is the water tank on most 5er on one side or both sides ( equal weight distribution) of the trailer. I have heard people say hauling with full tanks can damage your trailer, is this true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
It depends on the destination for us. On a short weekend trip to a CG with full hook ups the fresh water is empty. On a long trip like our yearly snowbird trek to Fl and back the tank always starts out full so we can shower along the way. The convenience is worth the weight to us.

You would think your 5er was designed to handle the weight. If your tow vehicle is up to it and you want/need to go full or water, why not?
Old 02-16-2011, 08:04 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeyrer View Post
is the water tank on most 5er on one side or both sides ( equal weight distribution) of the trailer. I have heard people say hauling with full tanks can damage your trailer, is this true?
Sorry to say I can not answer that never having owner a 5er. If we had the need for a big pick up it sure looks like the way to go though.

The fresh water tank in our class A is right in the middle but not sure on 5ers. I would think that since the idea of a fresh water tank is to have portable water the design would take into consideration that you would be hauling it. Hopefully a 5er owner can clear this up for us.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #8

I almost never travel with it more that 1/4 full.

I fill up as close to the riding as I can

At 8.34 lb per gallon with a 100 gallon tank it seems wasteful to me to carry this load on the truck, tires, suspension etc.

Uncle Dave
Uncle Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #9

The tank is usually centered port/starboard, but fore/aft depends on the design dept. I did own an old 92 Dutchmen 5er that had the tank at the RF corner, towing that with a full tank made quite a difference in how the rig handled.
If you have sales literature it should display tank locations.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #10

thats what i was thinking. anyone ever fill there water tank at a Flying J truck stop? or rest area? or another brand truck stop? I know flying j has a rv dumping station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
I almost never travel with it more that 1/4 full.

I fill up as close to the riding as I can

At 8.34 lb per gallon with a 100 gallon tank it seems wasteful to me to carry this load on the truck, tires, suspension etc.

Uncle Dave
Old 02-16-2011, 10:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeyrer View Post
thats what i was thinking. anyone ever fill there water tank at a Flying J truck stop? or rest area? or another brand truck stop? I know flying j has a rv dumping station.
Flying J has dump and water.

I go to glamis many times a year and fill up at red rock about an hour away from the dunes.

No need to tow a thousand pounds of water over the banning pass.

If you cant do it that way - well then you cant.
But if all possible I try to go as easy on my gear as is feasible.

That extra 834 lb makes difference in tire life if you end up turning hard- more weight is tougher on the sidewalls in a solid axle rig and repeated tight turns results in earlier sidewall cracking.

UD
Old 02-17-2011, 07:52 AM   #12
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
Flying J has dump and water.

I go to glamis many times a year and fill up at red rock about an hour away from the dunes.

No need to tow a thousand pounds of water over the banning pass.

If you cant do it that way - well then you cant.
But if all possible I try to go as easy on my gear as is feasible.

That extra 834 lb makes difference in tire life if you end up turning hard- more weight is tougher on the sidewalls in a solid axle rig and repeated tight turns results in earlier sidewall cracking.

UD
You may be right about the tire wear but our tires always die of old age, not wear. I ike to know where my water comes from and what it tastes like if I can.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I seldom ever carry more than a quarter of a tank of fresh water. Just enough to get us to our location.
However it all depends on where you are going.

Ditto.
hooverbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
You may be right about the tire wear but our tires always die of old age, not wear. I ike to know where my water comes from and what it tastes like if I can.
I totally get both points you make.

I use known water sources and really dont drink toy hauler water, but do wash dishes and shower with it.

The motorhome has a "real" filtration system in it and I do drink that water/coffee etc.

U.D