Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2006, 02:16 PM   #1

The first couple of times we took our new TH out to my hunting lease, the wife complained that she couldn't sleep late because of all the light coming in through the front bedroom roof vent. Without really looking at it closely, the next time I was at Camping World I bought 3 of those pillow type vent shades. Got them home and found that the recess in my vents were not deep enough to hold this type of shade. So the next time I am at CW I return the pillow type and buy the tinfoil looking type that attaches with sticky back velcro (I knew this wouldn't work). Needless to say the first time I tried to remove the shade the sticky back velcro didn't hold to the vent shroud.
So my solution was to install snaps on the shades.

The reason it is bowed a little on the sides is when I did the first one I tried to mark the snap locations while holding the shade up in the air against the vent shroud (mistake). For the other two I removed the shroud and used it as a template to measure the snap locations. That worked much better and the two shades over the front and rear bed fit real tight.

This picture shows a snap attached to the shade.

When I tried to use the original shroud screws to mount the snap base, the shade snap would not snap on because the head of the screw was too fat so I replaced the original screws with ones with a flat head and this worked fine.

The second MOD was brought about because someone tried to break into my WW through a gas vent door on the rear of the trailer. I assume that because these doors had a lock on only one side of the door, the would-be theif just opened the butterfly latch on one side and pulled that side of the door out enough so he could grab the door with both hands and break the lock (which he did). After getting the door open he pushed in the wire mesh that was only held on with a few staples and had access to the trailer but never entered. Maybe he was too large to get through the opening or maybe he made so much noise busting the screen that he set my dog and/or my neighbors dog to barking and it scared him off. I'll never know.
As you can see from the first picture below, I replaced the wire mesh screen with an aluminum tight mesh sheet metal and I screwed it to the frame about every 4". If there is a next time the theif will have to make even more noise to get in. I also replaced the butterfly handle latches with locks.

The last picture shows a large hole I cut into the right side of this vent. I had to cut holes anyway for the support cables so I made this one large enough so I could get the head of an extinsion cord into the electrical outlet beside the gas vent opening. I lined the edge of the hole with rubber to protect the extension cord.

I know this is a rather long winded thread about minor mods but I thought someone out there might be able to use these ideas and maybe by explaining in detail I might save them some of the foopas I made during the process.

TB

WW FS2300
twinbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2006, 02:16 PM   #2

The first couple of times we took our new TH out to my hunting lease, the wife complained that she couldn't sleep late because of all the light coming in through the front bedroom roof vent. Without really looking at it closely, the next time I was at Camping World I bought 3 of those pillow type vent shades. Got them home and found that the recess in my vents were not deep enough to hold this type of shade. So the next time I am at CW I return the pillow type and buy the tinfoil looking type that attaches with sticky back velcro (I knew this wouldn't work). Needless to say the first time I tried to remove the shade the sticky back velcro didn't hold to the vent shroud.
So my solution was to install snaps on the shades.

The reason it is bowed a little on the sides is when I did the first one I tried to mark the snap locations while holding the shade up in the air against the vent shroud (mistake). For the other two I removed the shroud and used it as a template to measure the snap locations. That worked much better and the two shades over the front and rear bed fit real tight.

This picture shows a snap attached to the shade.

When I tried to use the original shroud screws to mount the snap base, the shade snap would not snap on because the head of the screw was too fat so I replaced the original screws with ones with a flat head and this worked fine.

The second MOD was brought about because someone tried to break into my WW through a gas vent door on the rear of the trailer. I assume that because these doors had a lock on only one side of the door, the would-be theif just opened the butterfly latch on one side and pulled that side of the door out enough so he could grab the door with both hands and break the lock (which he did). After getting the door open he pushed in the wire mesh that was only held on with a few staples and had access to the trailer but never entered. Maybe he was too large to get through the opening or maybe he made so much noise busting the screen that he set my dog and/or my neighbors dog to barking and it scared him off. I'll never know.
As you can see from the first picture below, I replaced the wire mesh screen with an aluminum tight mesh sheet metal and I screwed it to the frame about every 4". If there is a next time the theif will have to make even more noise to get in. I also replaced the butterfly handle latches with locks.

The last picture shows a large hole I cut into the right side of this vent. I had to cut holes anyway for the support cables so I made this one large enough so I could get the head of an extinsion cord into the electrical outlet beside the gas vent opening. I lined the edge of the hole with rubber to protect the extension cord.

I know this is a rather long winded thread about minor mods but I thought someone out there might be able to use these ideas and maybe by explaining in detail I might save them some of the foopas I made during the process.

TB

WW FS2300
Old 10-03-2006, 03:16 PM   #3

Excellent TB! We just recently got those vent pillows also...they really do work nice.

And I REALLY like the aluminum mesh you used on the side vent doors- that looks great! Good idea putting double locks on those doors- now the only thing you need to hook up is 220v to the screen mesh for the next time that basturd tries it!

Hey..I noticed you have the same dreaded caulk creep that all of us have. I gotta tell you I got a plastic putty knife and first carved 90* to the coach, then used it the regular manner to scrape it off the coach. Then I used some Simple Green (gawd I hate the smell of that stuff) to clean the gunky remains off and it looks good as new. Unless you wanna try to push it back in , this works great. I wish the Mfrs of these doors and windows would make butyl gaskets to seal these things with instead of that plumbers putty!

WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:26 PM   #4

Well WWFan, you know how us bubbas are, if it get to looking too bad, I'll just cover it up with duct tape.

TB

WW FS2300
Old 10-03-2006, 03:41 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by twinbubba:
Well WWFan, you know how us bubbas are, if it get to looking too bad, I'll just cover it up with duct tape.

TB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought you'd say you'd just have another beer until it went away on its own!
Old 10-03-2006, 05:44 PM   #6

Good mods TB

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:

Hey..I noticed you have the same dreaded caulk creep that all of us have. I gotta tell you I got a plastic putty knife and first carved 90* to the coach, then used it the regular manner to scrape it off the coach. Then I used some Simple Green (gawd I hate the smell of that stuff) to clean the gunky remains off and it looks good as new. Unless you wanna try to push it back in , this works great. I wish the Mfrs of these doors and windows would make butyl gaskets to seal these things with instead of that plumbers putty!

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I cleaned up the excess caulk on my TH also, but now it's oozing again. At this rate, in another year there won't be any caulk left.

I'm with you Sean...I wish they'd use butyl gaskets too.

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:55 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by high desert:
Good mods TB

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I cleaned up the excess caulk on my TH also, but now it's oozing again. At this rate, in another year there won't be any caulk left.

I'm with you Sean...I wish they'd use butyl gaskets too.

Wes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dang Wes...haven't you already put a year on that thing?! Sure seems like it, ey bud?!

TB: I meant to ask you: why the cutout in the the screen? You mentioned an extension cord? Inquiring minds waana know (what the heck you're using the extension cord there for, dang it!).
Old 10-03-2006, 07:40 PM   #8

When at my hunting lease I have a table set up in front of the wheels for my coffe pot and I plug a short extension cord in there for the coffee pot. That is one of the few things I don't like about my WW, the only external electrical plug is in the front storage.

Now you know.

TB

WW FS2300
Old 10-03-2006, 07:51 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Humm, I guess its because I keep mine inside that I don't see this as much but it does show up some, however, I just have a drink and don't worry bout it like the rest of you. Besides, mine doesn't look that bad. (clink)
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:27 PM   #10

We just recently got those vent pillows also...they really do work nice.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The light still came thru as opaque with those furry vent pillows from CW.

Always improving the mousetrap.... I took the furry vent pillows and unzippered them placing that aluminum bubble wrap into them.

Now they are truely light proof

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:30 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

TB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

TB.... don't those "no see ums" get still get thru that vent...

I love the looks of your mod

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:47 AM   #12

56Nomad, that is true, those little buggers could still get through but I usually don't leave it open at night with lights on inside.
I have considered backing the mesh up with that cloth screen material like the stuff on my back sliding screen door. You can buy that stuff by the yard at Home Depot or Lowes. In fact, I'm glad you brought that up, I have to make a trip to Home Depot this evening and I think I will go ahead and buy the material and get-er-done before my trip weekend after next. With the weather finally cooling off it might be nice to keep both those doors open for air circulation.

TB

WW FS2300
Old 10-10-2006, 03:08 AM   #13

56Nomad,
I bought the screen material this past weekend and covered the inside of both vent screens. Now those "no see ums" are "no prob lums".

TB

WW FS2300
Old 10-10-2006, 05:32 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by twinbubba:
56Nomad,
I bought the screen material this past weekend and covered the inside of both vent screens. Now those "no see ums" are "no prob lums".

TB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bwaaahahahahaha!!! Good deal there TB!