Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #1

fuel station fix

a lot of toy haulers have onboard fuel stations. we didnt use ours often. thats the problem. the fuel dries and the pump quits working.
to fix mine
i cut the wires going to the pump (note the color of the wires dont hook up backwards), remove the fuel supply line (i used a 1/2 bolt to plug the line to the tank), remove the screws holding the pump assembly in, remove the pump, take the top off of the pump (note the oring in the top dont mess it up), remove the pump gears, use a flat screwdriver to turn the motor and free it up, you can test the motor by hooking the wires up to a battery, if it runs re assemble the unit the way you took it out.
note: i had to use another clamp on the fuel line since the old one was a crimp kind. a alligator clamp will do fine

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to cdfdonnie
To prevent this problem keep the tank/s full and add a fuel stabilizer like Stabil. It not only helps the pump it keeps the carburetor on your gen-set from becoming all crudded up with varnish.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:39 AM   #3

true it helps. the problem was that you have to use the pump or over a period of time or the gas will evaporate inside the pump leaving a residue that gums up the pump. my pump is next to the gas cap. it is a good idea to periodicaly cycle the gas back in the tank to keep fresh gas in the pump.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:26 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to cdfdonnie
Very good ideal as well. I always keep Stabil in the tanks of everything I don't use on a regular basis. Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saw, Lawn Blower and my tanks on the RV. I also fog down the cylinders with Rislone during winter storage. This is an old boat winterizing trick that works very well to protect the cylinder walls from surface rust.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #5

mmmm....not sure if you needed to cut wires and such. The ethanol in gas makes the two gears in the top of the pump swell and tolerances in the gear well are tight. Normally, you can just remove the four bolts in the top, lift off the plate (careful of the O ring as you said), lift the gears out and sand them with some emery or rough grit sand paper, clean the residue off good, and replace them and it works fine. Remember to always drain the hose and pump completely before storage. That way the gears don't sit in gas. Always keep Sta-Bil in the system for sure, and use the pump once a month. (just like starting your gen once a month)

Tags
fuel