Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:09 PM   #1

Full timing in a 2011 Cyclone 3812

So we sold the house in preparation for our next chapter in life. We are currently in our new to us 3812 cyclone toy hauler. We had a 30 foot vlite and moved up to this beast. We are towing it with a 2008 f450. Great stable combination. Wanted to start a thread and update it periodically to share our experience.

So far we have learned we have way too much stuff and should downsize. My wife is very reluctant and I totally get it. We have been together 15 years and some of our stuff has been there since the beginning. I have learned to not push and she will figure out a happy medium.

The RV is awesome, initially the television orientation was not appealing but after a few days totally not a problem. 50 amp service is a must. We are currently on 30 amp and one AC is having a hard time keeping up during the day. I am still working but the wife stays home until the move so she is a bit uncomfortable but dealing with it. It is just the two of us and our pets and they are doing well with the change.

Our hope destination is Missouri and will plan on being out there sometime early next year.

If anyone has any advice we would definitely appreciate it. Besides normal maintenance we are totally new to living in an RV.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2015, 12:54 PM   #2

Well after the first few days in the RV the first issues we have encountered is a leaking sink. First it was the hot water. I tightened the lines and all was fine for a few days. This morning I woke to the sink leaking again from the cold water. This time I am going to get some liquid plumbers tape and use that to help the seal.

Also, finding that in the wonderful 100+ heat here in the High Desert of California 1 AC isn't keeping up. We have decided to tough it out as we hope the weather relaxes soon since we are going into October. If not man it is not going to be fun. Or I will have to move to a 50 amp service.

Other than that we are very happy so far. The space is working and we even have our computer set up on a desk in the garage area and it feels like a home more than a camper.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:53 PM   #3

So we have been in the toy hauler for a week. It is a huge step up from our previous RV. However we have had a couple of challenges to figure out.
First. The RV salesman told me they replaced the kitchen faucet. Well the faucet still leaked and for the price of getting someone else to fix it we bought the needed hoses, couplings, and a price fister faucet. It is pretty convoluted as far as installations go. But, it is a really nice and no longer leaks.

Also the satellite connections are a real pain! I ended up using the cable connection and had no issues. Now just to find a place to put the satellite tuner boxes so they aren't about to fall out of the cabinet.

We are enjoying the RV. I haven't figured out how to get the cats to not claw the carpet. I put up a scratching post they all use but I still catch them clawing the steps and other areas. Any suggestion would be helpful. Can't get rid of them.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:57 PM   #4

Glad it's going well. I would suggest watching lots of RV related videos on repairs because it will have to be done at some point.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:43 AM   #5

Thanks for the suggestion. I do quite a bit of my one repairs and maintenance as it is. However I do plan on getting more acquainted with the hydraulics and other systems that are totally new to me.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:11 PM   #6

Well as we continue to live in the RV we are happy and figuring life out. We utilize the camp ground showers because of the more hot water and space. We bought a rose bush for decoration figuring when we move to a home eventually we will plant it there. No excitement or updates but continuing to drive on with life.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:25 PM   #7

Cool man. Good luck and happy trails.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:48 PM   #8

We are continuing the living the RV lifestyle. We have learned a few thing. 1. Toilet paper doesn't go on the toilet. 2. Having a toilet snake for middle of the night toilet cleanings is essential. 3. Too much clutter in the RV makes it feel very small, extra space doesn't mean more stuff. Haven't had to move the RV yet but we expect to have a good time and enjoy being in it.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:16 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the updates. Interesting to hear about your living and learning...

If you are leaving your black tank valve open, that can cause a problem with your sewer clogging. It should be closed until your black tank is at least 1/2 full (or more) and that way when you drain it the paper and solids will flow out with the liquids. Use lots of water when you flush. Leaving the black tank valve closed also gives the solids time to break down so they do not clog the system.

It is not as important with the gray tank, but the same thing applies. You don't have as many solids, but you do have sediment. Some leave their gray open but I prefer having it closed until half full also.

You may already be doing this but having to do a regular snake sounds unusual.

Good luck and keep us posted.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:16 AM   #10

Update

Thanks for the advice. We are already leaving the black tank closed until almost full. To ensure proper draining as recommended. Same with gray. I was unclear, I had to snake the toilet because of the paper at 830pm. I was lucky because the attendant was still here and I borrowed their snake. Now I have one. Because next time it clogs I am sure it will be much later at night. So far 2 months of living in the RV and only one clog. Doing well I think. Also. I was not as thorough on the pre delivery and missed one of my vents not having a knob. The lift mechanism was broken but it was an easy fix.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:49 PM   #11

So we have replaced a few light bulbs, cleaned the inside it feels like every other day, and have had to relighted the door hardware. Overall life in the camper isn't bad. We aren't impressed with the lower quality electronics but overall we are very happy. Not sure what to expect when towing, only towed it home and that went great. I am sure we will continue to enjoy it.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:34 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Glad you are enjoying your RV. We are out in ours now for a couple of months and and enjoying it also. We are mostly in one place (Milledgeville, GA) until right before Christmas then we head for Charlotte, NC for a few days.

When we had our trailer (29 feet bumper to to hitch) we pulled it with a 2006 Tundra with the towing set-up and it worked great. (Our dry weight was only 3850 lbs.) We had the stabilizer on the tongue and sway brake. Not too much sway even out west in the wind with big trucks blowing by. You've got enough truck so that pulling for you should not be a problem.

Thanks for the update.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:52 PM   #13

Still enjoying the wonders of living in an RV. One of the changes we most recently made was to purchase 2 1500 watt heaters. Put one in the garage and one in the living room. Cut down tremendously on propane usage. We were consuming 7 gallons a week, cut down to just two. Where we are at we have a flat fee not charged for electricity so this works for us.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:13 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
we looked at the Cyclone 3812, but found the TV location to be unsuitable for us, in fact almost all the toy haulers we looked at were either 90 degrees from the seating location or a neck crick to high, so the choice came down to the TV location to be directly in front of the couch, and we found it in a 2007 All American Sport by Forest River, the next problem we had to over come was we didn't have enough truck for the 14,400 pounds of trailer, our 1992 dodge 1 ton diesel was to small and found the trailer pushing the truck at times, we solved that problem with a 1999 Freightliner Sport Chassis 4 door, its not the first truck to the top of the hill but I'm the guy that's kicked back with one hand on the wheel going down the other side of the hill with the exhaust break on, and we don't feel the bucking and chucking as we did with the one ton, one of the first things I did was to get rid of the dinette and benches we lost some storage under the benches but it gave me room to set up a desk area in its place, so after one year of living full time in our TH we have had to replace the HWT, fix the leaking outside shower, re caulk every thing outside, removed the peeling stickers from the outside, I'm sure I missed some small detail some where, the upgrade list is matching recliners to replace the couch, re seal the roof, add a second AC in the bed room

2007 Forest River fifth wheel toy hauler 385 RLTS, 1999 Freightliner FL-60 with Western Hauler bed, new 3126B CAT motor, new Allison MD3060 transmission, air ride rear suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote