Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2006, 06:35 AM   #1

Thinking of moving up to a toyhauler from a TT and was wondering about gasoline fumes from the atvs seeping into the trailer area from the garage part. My wife has a bionic nose and can smell anything miles away. Do any of you have any problems with this.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2006, 06:35 AM   #2

Thinking of moving up to a toyhauler from a TT and was wondering about gasoline fumes from the atvs seeping into the trailer area from the garage part. My wife has a bionic nose and can smell anything miles away. Do any of you have any problems with this.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:22 PM   #3

Hi there CC!

This is a subject that comes up ever so often, and the major concensus is that it isn't a problem whatsoever. I've had two THs, and within minutes of removing any of the toys the smell is gone. I do have to say, though, my trick was to use 1/4" drip irrigation line, tee it off for however many toys you have, then hook the ends to the fuel tank breather lines and run the other end to the outside- seemed to work great- never a problem. I also would travel with a couple of the windows open to air out the rig.

I guess it would be pretentious for anyone to say it's virtually a non-issue, so if that bionic nose of your DWs is a Class I Certified Bionic Device, then you may have a problem. Otherwise, I wouldn't even worry about it.

Good luck!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:50 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Even with the leaky VW engine in my rail, by the time you drop the door, pull the toys out and around, cleanup, and put the door back up, the smells are all gone!
s@ndm@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:26 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
My Jeep doesn't leak at all and still, no smells. I would think if you are getting one with a garage it would be a non issue. However, I've learned to never say never.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:19 AM   #6

4 bikes, 1 quad, 2 extra gas cans, 1 full size bbq in ours. the only thing that you can smell on occasion is the bbq...
if you install roof vent covers, you can leave them open and the rig vents great. you shouldnt have a problem.

acjjkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:25 AM   #7

I've never gone to any great lengths to prevent fumes, just turn off the gas, put down a plastic drop cloth and load the toys. Once the toys are out the smell is too, I don't leave any windows or vents open either.
Naykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:32 AM   #8

I had gas spill out of my buggy tank. Wipe up the floor and after 10min of having a window open or the rear ramp open, the smell is gone.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:30 AM   #9

The best solution that mfgs. come up with is to turn off the fuel supply, then run the vehicle until the carb is dry, then load them. I have never done this. Mine leaks a little bit. Like everone else has said, once you open the door and wipe up the spill and smell is usually gone in a matter of minutes. Just tell your wife you'll drain the carb like the mfg says.

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:21 PM   #10

I kind of like the setup Patio Hauler uses, with slats in the garage floor. In addition to ventilation, you can hose the garage out and water/mud will sluce through.

Some dust can come up if you run on dirt roads, which I don't see as an issue for quads or dirtbikes, but it would be less than optimal if you wanted to haul roadbikes.

Anyhow, unless you spill two-stroke fuel or something, I think you will find fumes to be a non-issue.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote