Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:51 AM   #1

Furrion solar outlet

Anybody have an RV with a Furrion Solar Outlet...we don't really know exactly what we need to purchase to charge batteries. Should we spend the $500 to get the Furrion panel or will cheaper versions work and get an adapter? This feature is new to us.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 09:16 AM   #2

Wink Maybe . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mramsey3 View Post
Anybody have an RV with a Furrion Solar Outlet...we don't really know exactly what we need to purchase to charge batteries. Should we spend the $500 to get the Furrion panel or will cheaper versions work and get an adapter? This feature is new to us.
I don't know if I can help you out but my Rig came with a solar charging plug from the factory and I can't tell you if it is the same one that you are referring to. It is hooked up to add a solar panel to charge the batteries and I was told by Keystone (Fuzion) the following:
"The manufacturer suggests the model EL-10WMP-KF, and the price is $281.83 plus S&H. It is a 10 watt panel solely used to charge the batteries with the current wiring set up.

Another option we have available is the Samlex solar kit found at Samlexsolar.com model SRV-100-30A. The pricing on that is $705.49. It is a 100watt solar panel with all the needed wiring brackets and controllers. It is unclear on what it is able to power." Here is a pic of the battery charging panel.
Attached Images

lonewolftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:27 AM   #3

Thanks...we have the 2016 Fuzion 422 Chrome package. I'm sure they have the same outlet.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:20 AM   #4

solar panel

I spoke with the owner of Genuine RV, where we bought our camper in Nacogdoches, and he said the solar panel is pretty much useless other than making sure your batteries are charged while the camper is not being used at all. We have a Samsung residential refrigerator in our camper and thought a solar panel would keep the batteries charged enough for running it during the day while the generator was off (if we are dry camping). Apparently that is not the case.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:26 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
A 10 watt panel is basically useless except to keep a disconnected battery charged !
You know, you can buy 12volt 100 watt panels for110$!!! About a dollar a watt . 500 for 10 watts ? Really ? from what I've seen the dealer installed options are highly overpriced and not a quality controller either
To run residential refer and charge the batteries enough to get through the night it's my belief 200- 400 watts would be needed plus enough battery bank.
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:23 AM   #6

Wink Try. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mramsey3 View Post
I spoke with the owner of Genuine RV, where we bought our camper in Nacogdoches, and he said the solar panel is pretty much useless other than making sure your batteries are charged while the camper is not being used at all. We have a Samsung residential refrigerator in our camper and thought a solar panel would keep the batteries charged enough for running it during the day while the generator was off (if we are dry camping). Apparently that is not the case.
I added a third battery to the battery bay as there was enough room as I have the same Samsung frig. I did have to rewire the battery setup in parallel to make it more efficient. The dual setup that came with it is suppose to run the inverter for the frig 16 to 17 hours, so I am looking for an additional 8 hours out of a three battery setup. The second option mentioned in my earlier response, although pricey, does provide 100 watt access and can assist in more than just handling the frig. As always all it takes is 💰💰💰💰.
lonewolftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:30 PM   #7

The plug for the port is avail. I would recommend some larger panels with a controller. Its nice at few hundred watts to keep battery topped off during day of dry camping/ RZR riding.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:44 PM   #8

You need at least as many solar watts as you have battery amps. I prefer more solar watts than battery amps, since I do not tilt my panels for better gain. A typical boondocking system is 600 watts and 600 amps and then add as needed. There is a lot to learn and I have never found or heard of a dealer that knew much about Solar. Some think they do. You know what they say about dealers lips. There is a lot of good information on solar out there. Here is a link to help you with your learning Journey:

RV Electrical

Tags
solar