Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:23 AM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPro View Post
If you Google XLR you get 24 million results. Now that you have clarified that it is a Forest River RV, I looked into it and there is no mention of dual batteries anywhere. With the residental refrigerator they install a dedicated inverter but it is connected to the single battery bank. If you can direct me to where you found this information I would be interested.

I was wrong to say no one has done this. I forgot about Alfa. They designed a dual battery bank with voltage monitors and controler, isolators and bypass switching but it never functioned effectivly. In all cases the customers had complaints so we modify those to only function as one bank.

Larry
Larry, obviously I was referring to a brand of RV so Googling XLR RV would have given you a pretty quick answer. I also have an XLR RV listed in my signature right below my name. If you saw my name and addressed me as such, you could have looked two lines lower to see my RV's brand. But, I digress...

Now, once again, XLR has a second battery for the inverter. I know people who bought this exact setup when ordering a new XLR. (I opted for the large two way fridge...) I've also been to the factory. I've talked extensively with those who work there including the plant manager. This is how they do it. Can't make it any more clear for you. Yes, it is technically on the same "bank" as the same 12v converter charges both and the tow vehicle also charges both. However they are in separate locations and the second battery is only installed from the factory if you order the residential fridge and inverter setup. This is why I questioned the OP as to whether this was his setup. Perhaps XLR is the only brand doing it like this and you've never run across it. They've only been going this route a few years and are a lower production brand so I can see where that is likely the case. However, just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist...

The good news for me is that since they have the second battery location available whether you order the residential fridge or not, and I didn't order it, I had the perfect spot for my second 6v. I even had the factory install cabling to connect the two in series so I could go 6v when I took delivery. I had my Lifeline AGM's drop shipped to my dealer and got a credit for the Interstate 12v group 24 that they usually send their rigs out with...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2015, 12:32 PM   #16

We had a fuzion 360 and had two 6 volt golf cart batteries for house power and a group 24 battery for generator starting. They were connected by a battery separator. We could run our house batteries down without worries of not starting the generator. The separator allows the house batteries to charge separate from the starting battery and vise versa. Also, if either battery bank becomes too weak, the separator allows power from the other.

We have the same setup in our Attitude 28sag.

Old 08-30-2015, 05:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
...technically on the same "bank" as the same 12v converter charges both and the tow vehicle also charges both. However they are in separate locations ...
Iím still not understanding fully your setup. If the batteries are in separate locations yet connected, it is still one bank as you described. When you are not plugged in and the generator is off, are the batteries still connected or do you have an isolator device between them?

Larry
I have a vast knowledge about PV solar, batteries and inverters. I'll try to provide the best answer if I know it and hopefully correct some "Campfire" talk. Full-time 1999-2004. Part time now. '92 Hawkins, 360AH Lithium Battery, 1480 Watts PV solar.
BatteryPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:48 AM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
I’m still not understanding fully your setup. If the batteries are in separate locations yet connected, it is still one bank as you described. When you are not plugged in and the generator is off, are the batteries still connected or do you have an isolator device between them?

Larry
Larry, as I said, I don't have the system. I have a 2 way fridge and a dual 6v setup. I'm not sure if the XLR residential fridge option has an isolator between it's two 12v batteries. I never asked. I just know it employs a second battery to feed the inverter. I can inquire the next time I speak with someone at XLR though if your want.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
Larry, as I said, I don't have the system. ... I'm not sure if the XLR residential fridge option has an isolator between it's two 12v batteries....
Hi Rodney,

If you don't know, why did you suggest I was wrong? If there is no isolator, then both batteries make up one battery bank. If there are isolators, then the batteries can be discharged independently then be joined together while charging. This is very inefficient way to power things in an RV as you never have full use from all batteries.

Larry
I have a vast knowledge about PV solar, batteries and inverters. I'll try to provide the best answer if I know it and hopefully correct some "Campfire" talk. Full-time 1999-2004. Part time now. '92 Hawkins, 360AH Lithium Battery, 1480 Watts PV solar.
BatteryPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:04 PM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Hi Rodney,

If you don't know, why did you suggest I was wrong? If there is no isolator, then both batteries make up one battery bank. If there are isolators, then the batteries can be discharged independently then be joined together while charging. This is very inefficient way to power things in an RV as you never have full use from all batteries.

Larry

Wow Larry, you sure have a lot of trouble with comprehension. I told the OP that some brands install a second battery if the residential fridge is ordered as an option. PERIOD. I made no mention of the setup, layout, wiring schematic, anything. Just that if the residential fridge was ordered, a second battery was wired in from the factory to the inverter. You're the one who went off on a wild tangent about how it may or may not be wired. I made no claim to have knowledge of the setup other than my initial statement that a second battery comes with the residential fridge option. Period. You told me no brand does this. THAT WAS INDEED WRONG. One last time. If you order a residential fridge from the factory, it will be wired for a second battery and your rig will come with two batteries in two locations. Sounded like the OP's situation. It wasn't. You never heard of it. Now you have. Let's let it go.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:02 PM   #21

Well I'm a little closer I think. I left everything alone for a week then put a meter across the batteries, the one I suspect is the house battery returned 12.6 volts without load, in fact the battery disconnect switch was to disconnect. The other which appears to go to the generator returned 12.5v. I left the disconnect "off" and tried internal lights all were dead as you would expect. Then I tried to start the generator, it fired right up. Connected the battery contactor and voila! Everything powered up.

Now the question is if I plug into shore power (110v through pigtail to 50amp inlet) will it keep the batteries charged? Battery disconnect switch on? Or off? Can I put a meter across the battery and detect a charge? If so how?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:05 PM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
Plug in to shore power and test each batteries voltage. They both should run up to 13.5-14.5 as the converter charges them.

Tags
battery