Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:12 AM   #1

Fusion Battery Question

Why do I have two batteries in my Fuzion? Do they power different systems?

When I bought the unit in June one had been replaced a couple of months earlier (Feb 15) but now after a few days sitting days the generator won't turnover, the solenoid just clicks.

I was thinking about splashing out on an Optima Blue Top any thoughts? What CCA?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2015, 09:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737Captain View Post

When I bought the unit in June one had been replaced a couple of months earlier (Feb 15) but now after a few days sitting days the generator won't turnover, the solenoid just clicks.

I was thinking about splashing out on an Optima Blue Top any thoughts? What CCA?
The two batteries are likely 12 volt (you did not say) and are connected in parallel. Look to see if the positive from one is connected to the positive of the other with a jumper cable. If so, these two batteries are working together supplying power to all the loads.

Your batteries are likely damaged and that is why they will not hold a charge and crank the generator. This is very common for brand new RVís because someone left a load on and the battery went to zero volts and was left there until someone noticed. This causes permanent damage. I recommend everyone ask for new, fresh batteries before you take delivery if buying a new RV.

Another possibility is that you have something turned on that is draining the batteries.

The Optima blue top AGM battery is not the best choice for deep cycle use (IMO). There are much better AGM batteries with higher capacity, lower cost and longer life. I am speaking from many years experience in the battery business working on thousands of RVís power systems. I recommend you consider a pair of 6 volt deep cycle batteries for the best performance in your Fuzion.

CCA only has to do with starting an engine. You should be looking at the amp hour (AH) capacity of the replacement battery. The higher the number, the more energy storage you will have. A common RV size is 200 to 225 AH in a 6 volt battery.

Larry

I have a vast knowledge about PV solar, batteries and inverters. I'll try to provide the best answer if I know it and hopefully correct some "Campfire" talk. Full-time 1999-2004. Part time now. '92 Hawkins, 360AH Lithium Battery, 1480 Watts PV solar.
BatteryPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:37 PM   #3

Thanks Larry, I do indeed have two 12v batteries but don't think they are in parallel. One set of leads disappear into what looks like the original wiring harness the others set appear to head toward the generator, this is the older one.

How can I test the batteries to have a definitive idea of their health?

I notice on your profile you show Lithium Ion Battery. What's the story with those?
Old 08-27-2015, 10:23 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Do you have a residential fridge in your rig? If so the second one is to run the inverter that powers the fridge when you are off shore power. Generally, new RV's don't come with two 12v batteries unless the unit has the residential fridge option.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:22 AM   #5

No it's a standard RV fridge.

I think I'll take both batteries out and run them down to have them load tested. Then the question is what to buy.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:29 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
The best deep cycle batteries in the industry are Lifeline AGM. Since yours aren't wired together you can't simply swap to two 6v like I did. So, two 12v Lifeline AGM's would be teh next best thing. They are expensive but if you like the best...
Old 08-28-2015, 07:42 AM   #7

I bought an Optima when my battery died in my Fuzion. I don't know if it was the best for a toy hauler but never had any issues for the year I used it. My Fuzion only had one battery though I know some people used two.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
Do you have a residential fridge in your rig? If so the second one is to run the inverter that powers the fridge when you are off shore power. Generally, new RV's don't come with two 12v batteries unless the unit has the residential fridge option.
Hi Rodney,

[moderator edit]thousands of RV's and not one has ever had a seperate battery for a residental refrigerator.

Larry
I have a vast knowledge about PV solar, batteries and inverters. I'll try to provide the best answer if I know it and hopefully correct some "Campfire" talk. Full-time 1999-2004. Part time now. '92 Hawkins, 360AH Lithium Battery, 1480 Watts PV solar.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:19 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPro View Post
Hi Rodney,

[moderator edit] thousands of RV's and not one has ever had a seperate battery for a residental refrigerator.

Larry
Maybe it's an XLR only thing then. That's how they do it. Guess you never serviced an XLR?
Old 08-28-2015, 08:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks Larry, I do indeed have two 12v batteries but don't think they are in parallel. One set of leads disappear into what looks like the original wiring harness the others set appear to head toward the generator, this is the older one.

How can I test the batteries to have a definitive idea of their health?

I notice on your profile you show Lithium Ion Battery. What's the story with those?
That's unusual. Normally in an RV like yours, the two batteries are paralleled together.

To test you need to fully charge them. I would disconnect the negative cable and load test them. You can buy a very inexpensive load tester. Turn on the load and hold it for at least 15 seconds before reading the scale. If the needle keeps dropping during the test, the battery may have low capacity but the load tester may still show good.

We design and install Lithium battery systems for RV's. They are still quite expensive and you usually must update other equipment in the RV which adds even more cost. If you are not a full time boon-docker (dry camping always) they would give you a poor return on investment.

Larry
Old 08-28-2015, 08:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Maybe it's an XLR only thing then. That's how they do it. Guess you never serviced an XLR?
What is an XLR (besides a balanced audio connector)?

The cost and complexity to have two independent battery systems in one RV is why no manufacturer does that.

Larry
Old 08-28-2015, 08:28 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPro View Post
What is an XLR (besides a balanced audio connector)?

The cost and complexity to have two independent battery systems in one RV is why no manufacturer does that.

Larry
Larry, please take the time to Google before responding. XLR is Forest River's top of the line toy hauler and they absolutely do have a second battery from the factory for the inverter that runs the residential fridge option. Apparently they found a way to deal with both the "cost" and "complexity."

http://forestriverinc.com/product-de...201&Image=5378
Old 08-29-2015, 05:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Larry, please take the time to Google before responding....
If you Google XLR you get 24 million results. Now that you have clarified that it is a Forest River RV, I looked into it and there is no mention of dual batteries anywhere. With the residental refrigerator they install a dedicated inverter but it is connected to the single battery bank. If you can direct me to where you found this information I would be interested.

I was wrong to say no one has done this. I forgot about Alfa. They designed a dual battery bank with voltage monitors and controler, isolators and bypass switching but it never functioned effectivly. In all cases the customers had complaints so we modify those to only function as one bank.

Larry
Old 08-29-2015, 06:05 AM   #14

Quote:

It sounds like one is a house/inverter battery and the other is a generator start battery.

Un hook 1 and try the lights and or generator. Then try with the other un hooked.

If what I guessed is true, the house battery should be the biggest deep cycle battery, you can fit in there and the generator battery should be a start type battery.

Tags
battery