Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2016, 02:36 PM   #1

Gas Stations to fit travel trailers

Where can I find gas stations along any given route that I can get me toy hauler in & out easily. Should be some where on the web a chart or list to olan gas stop that would have room for a 25ft toy hauler & F-150 truck to enter & exit.
karaokejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2016, 04:52 PM   #2

Are you traveling on the interstate? Most truck stops along the interstate should be able to accomadate your 25' toyhauler and f150 truck. Right now I have a 38' diesel pusher pulling a 18' enclosed trailer and can get in and out most places, friends we travel with have a 36' class A gasser pulling a 16' encloased trailer and fuel up at truckstops along the route and usually don't have to many problems manuevering.
Several apps can be downloaded that can help.
Truck Stop locator
Pilot or Flying J apps.
Sometimes we would Google earth them to see what they looked like and decide if we should stop or find another one.
hope this helps
Old 07-18-2016, 05:17 PM   #3

Gas

Traveling from ohio to myrtle beach sc mostly interstate, thanks
Old 07-18-2016, 07:45 PM   #4

It'll be a little challenging given your gas powered vehicle. Best advice is search for Murphy fuel stations along your route. They are usually connected to Walmarts and most have enough room for your combo. Not as easy as I'm sure you'll want, but doable.
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:02 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many Flying J's have RV lanes in the main station part. Download their app and you can search for RV lanes. I also use the GasBuddy app and Google Earth.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:10 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Wait until you get up to a 40' 5th wheel with a dually truck. Since we are diesel, we opted to add an auxiliary fuel tank to let us run two days before fueling. We unhook and go looking for fuel.

Often, you can wait for a pump on the end and manage to get your truck and trailer into a station.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Wait until you get up to a 40' 5th wheel with a dually truck. Since we are diesel, we opted to add an auxiliary fuel tank to let us run two days before fueling. We unhook and go looking for fuel.

Often, you can wait for a pump on the end and manage to get your truck and trailer into a station.

Ken
Just curious why not fuel that beast up at the trucker lanes?
Would be much easier to manuever and dispenses fuel much faster.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:37 AM   #8

Gas

I want thank everyone for your help some really great suggestion
Old 07-19-2016, 10:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funhaus View Post

Diesel P/U trucks don't have the size of filler to allow the high flow rate nozzle , you may be able to fill the AUX tank but not the factory, in the truck lanes.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:47 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Almost all Flying-J have RV island(s). We use them almost exclusively as they are normally easy to get into and out of.

Download the Pilot - Flying J app for your smartphone. We use the app to find the next Flying J along our route of travel.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Diesel P/U trucks don't have the size of filler to allow the high flow rate nozzle , you may be able to fill the AUX tank but not the factory, in the truck lanes.
Not sure what I was thinking.
Funhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:37 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If you travel interstates or major hwys. get a copy of "Next Exit". It lists gas stations that are RV friendly. Plus a ton of other good info.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:42 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
and your combination is not that long... ends of islands will be just fine. This is like towing a bass boat - my bass boat is 24 feet on the trailer, and my trailer trailer is 28 feet, and I'll stop for gas darn near anywhere - especially if I can setup a left hand pump entry - since you're already on the outside to set up a left, you have some extra berth.

In a pinch, I'll drop the trailer.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:53 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funhaus View Post
Been seeing the "Truck Stops" charging 20 to 30cents more per gallon for diesel than you can get it for in town.

Example is here north of Denver, on I-25, the truck stops want $2.15.9 to $2.17.9 for diesel. We got it at a Super King for $1.94.7. Biggest difference we saw was almost 50 cents a gallon more that Murphy in town in Missouri.

I do not cotton to highway robbery.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, travel