Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2004, 04:18 AM   #1

WE CURRENTLY HAVE A 21 FT DESSERT FOX AND ARE THINKING OF UPGRADING TO A 30 FT GEARBOX. I AM REALLY HAPPY WITH THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE DF BUT THE INTERIOR OF THE GB IS SOOO COOL AND IT HAS A LOT OF GREAT OPTIONS THAT A 28 FT DF DOES NOT OFFER. I AM WONDERING ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GEARBOX AND ALSO IF IT WILL TOW OK WITH OUR 04 F-250 CREW 8 FT BED WITH V-10 AND 3:73 GEARS. I THINK THE WEIGHT SHOULD BE OK AND ALSO THAT IT WOULD TOW PRETTY WELL WITH THE TRIPLE AXLES. ONE CONCERN IS THAT I THOUGHT SOMEONE MENTIONED THE MATTRESSES ARE FUTONS AND I WAS WONDERING IF YOU CAN GET REGULAR MATTRESSES FROM THE FACTORY. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THERE MAY BE AN 03 21FT DF FOR SALE!

LOTS OF COBRA 50cc MX BIKES
mojo racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2004, 04:18 AM   #2

WE CURRENTLY HAVE A 21 FT DESSERT FOX AND ARE THINKING OF UPGRADING TO A 30 FT GEARBOX. I AM REALLY HAPPY WITH THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE DF BUT THE INTERIOR OF THE GB IS SOOO COOL AND IT HAS A LOT OF GREAT OPTIONS THAT A 28 FT DF DOES NOT OFFER. I AM WONDERING ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GEARBOX AND ALSO IF IT WILL TOW OK WITH OUR 04 F-250 CREW 8 FT BED WITH V-10 AND 3:73 GEARS. I THINK THE WEIGHT SHOULD BE OK AND ALSO THAT IT WOULD TOW PRETTY WELL WITH THE TRIPLE AXLES. ONE CONCERN IS THAT I THOUGHT SOMEONE MENTIONED THE MATTRESSES ARE FUTONS AND I WAS WONDERING IF YOU CAN GET REGULAR MATTRESSES FROM THE FACTORY. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THERE MAY BE AN 03 21FT DF FOR SALE!

LOTS OF COBRA 50cc MX BIKES
mojo racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 10:26 AM   #3

Heard good and bad. try this site for info.
http://www.woodalls.com/cforum/index...m/13516802.cfm
Chris Farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 02:46 PM   #4

I agree... good and bad things.

One thing you should do... go to as many dealers as you can and look at their service lot.

Beaudry in San Marcos has 6 or 7 Gearbox's sitting there waiting to be fixed. There used to be Warriors and other brands sitting there before the GB came out, now it's 80/20 GB/Others.

Just something to think about. Could mean nothing, could mean everything.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:40 PM   #5

I bought my Gearbox about 4 months ago and have had it out about 5 times now. I have not had one thing break, it tows great and would not trade it for the world!! We also looked at the Desert Fox and Weekend Warrior and WW would be my second choice.

You will find some more reading on the Gearbox at http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...m/13516802.cfm.

Seems there was one guy that had an issue with tongue weight,which I don't have.

I have a 99 F250 CC Long Bed 7.3 TD with 36" tires and 4:10 gears and it pulls just fine. (Our only issue in Colorado is the elevation and EGT's we get with the Turbo Diesels but with a V-10 would be one.
I do have a 6" lift kit and am using one ton springs but it should not be an issue for you.

Just my 2 cents
99F250 CC Lariat LB, 6" Skyjacker, 36" PJ's, Isspro E-V Series, 4" turbo back exhaust, DI 4 pos. chip (thanks Mike), Clear corners, N-fab nerfs, Clifford Matrix RS3 Remote Start, snugtop expo, BTS new 11/5, wicked wheel, AFE Stage II Air box, browns
99250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 10:58 AM   #6

The fact that you see more of them at the service lot is just an indication of the popularity/ sales numbers. EVERY RV will need fixin, they're manmade and need regular service anyway. IMO, the Gearbox is TOP SHELF in overall quality and construction. Simply well made.
2MuchFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:50 PM   #7

Hi All
I* Would read this thread first then make up your mind.Click here

2001 New Mar Mountain Air 38KSWB
David Sink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 05:20 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Sink:
Hi All
I* Would read this thread first then make up your mind.http://www.woodalls.com/cforum/index...d/14250012.cfm <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please keep in mind that ALL of the unfortunate issues were on the early 2004 production models. As I verified with a close friend who works for Mike Thompson RV (largest Gearbox seller) there have been zero issues with the 2005s. Sadly, it is almost a given that there are going to be problems with first year models of anything American. Look at the 2003 Ford 6.0 Powerstroke! What a JOKE of a launch it had... or rather, lack of launch! lol.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:23 PM   #9

BTW, to elaborate on the delamination issue; the glue used was not up to snuff handling heat (i.e. desert use). Not only has the adhesive been changed, but the whole method of assembly has been improved.

So, if you would allow a bit of passing of the buck, the issue is really a problem with the adhesive supplier (probably 3M) and not really the fault of Fleetwood.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:44 PM   #10

Hi All
Well many companies make first year model trailers and have no problems A trailer is no were as hard to build as a motorhome or truck and others have been building them for years with no major problems. I can bet they took the cheap way out and used a cheap glue and cut corners on the lay-up to save money. And it is not just the problems but how they handle them and so far no one is happy with them. With all the toy haulers out their now why take the risk.

Old 01-17-2005, 05:30 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Sink:
Hi All
Well many companies make first year model trailers and have no problems A trailer is no were as hard to build as a motorhome or truck and others have been building them for years with no major problems. I can bet they took the cheap way out and used a cheap glue and cut corners on the lay-up to save money. And it is not just the problems but how they handle them and so far no one is happy with them. With all the toy haulers out their now why take the risk. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, many have and many have not. null point I guess.
~Why take the risk?
Because there are Not many out there that have a few specific features that the Gearbox does, such as: No fender wells on the inside of the box. This is a very important feature for max. cargo area useage; I carry 2 large adult utility quads, a big bore sport quad, 1 child quad, 1 adult dirtbike and 1 child dirtbike with room for trash cans, buckets, and still room to get around in a 22'er. Cant do that in many boxes that size.
Thats just an example, the Gearbox has alot of great, thought out features and TONS of goodies for the price.

But, to each his own. Happy camping!
Old 01-18-2005, 01:34 PM   #12

Hi All
I Dont like to talk bad about Companies but they just keep having so many problems.I dont agree about many having problems their are some but most a small compared to this.Also you make it sound like you owen one but other post you have say you have a tailgator.
Here is a Notice about a recall for caulk lick here

Old 01-18-2005, 07:00 PM   #13

Lol, yes, I recently traded our Tailgator for the Gearbox. So far, no issues. Im pretty much sure the problems were isolated to the 04' model year as I see zero signs of problems with ours. wish me luck!
Old 01-21-2005, 05:45 AM   #14

Have a 2004 Gearbox with no major problems. No delam, but a little tongue heavy.
litespeedrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heartland