Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2005, 06:45 PM   #1

Here's one for the group. We went with the aluminum siding (almost sounds like I'm talking about my double wide) instead of the gel coat fiberglass for the new trailer. I had my reasons, cost, weight, repairability. Now as the time seems to be drawing near I wounder if we made the right call. I guess this is a personal preferance, but I would like to know what everyone else is doing and why.

Thanks

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2005, 06:45 PM   #2

Here's one for the group. We went with the aluminum siding (almost sounds like I'm talking about my double wide) instead of the gel coat fiberglass for the new trailer. I had my reasons, cost, weight, repairability. Now as the time seems to be drawing near I wounder if we made the right call. I guess this is a personal preferance, but I would like to know what everyone else is doing and why.

Thanks

Rod

WW LE3505
Old 06-17-2005, 06:47 PM   #3

Simply put, I like the look of the fiberglass much better.

1 Wife
Minister Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 07:12 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by melon:

Thanks

Rod </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Rod,

Indeed it is a matter of personal preference, however let me give
my perspective...... for what ever it is worth.

If you have enough truck, the weight is not an issue. The main reason
we choose the fiberglass is that it's much easier to clean and it does not dent.

With some of the boon docking we do, all of our previous aluminum
sided campers as well as trailers ended up with dents and gouges
from the smallest of branches hitting the side.

If you lean against the aluminum with the slightest of pressure..... you'll
have a dent. Not so with the fiberglass.

As far as repairs go...... insurance does not care if you have to replace
aluminum or fiberglass, you still have to pay the deductible.

Then again, some folks just like the way the aluminum looks.

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 07:24 PM   #5

mmm...

So I guess I need to be more careful with aluminum. We had the Super Lite for over a year (aluminum) and only got one tiny dent. Maybe this one will be different. Who knows. I just can't wrap my head around the $3k price tag that WW feels it is worth.

Rod

WW LE3505
Old 06-17-2005, 07:42 PM   #6

Oh boy...I'm gonna be more blunt..wait until you have to wax it- you'll be cussing that alum all over the place. Melon...is it too late to change your order? My guess is 'no'...do it now- you won't regret it. I wanted gel coat 5 years ago when we got out 1995 WW...I'm surprised they didn't try to talk you outta it.

If you gotta weight issue, lose the genset...that's how adamant I am about alum. vs gelcoat. Sorry!!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 07:45 PM   #7

Alright, Alright. I get the point. Where the heck were you guys when I was putting my order together???

Anything else I need to change??

WW LE3505
Old 06-17-2005, 07:49 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by melon:
Alright, Alright. I get the point. Where the heck were you guys when I was putting my order together???

Anything else I need to change?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm shallow.. Like the looks better..
Then comes all the other stuff they said...
\Noob

06 WW LE3305
TH_NOOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 07:55 PM   #9

Anything else I need to change?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Melon:

Maybe you outta start with telling us what else you DIDN't get and give us a blank check- we'll make sure you're set to go!!

Seriously, what are you getting on the new LE...and I am really serious about the gelcoat.., with a 7/23 OOP date, you've got plenty of time to change your order- they just got the Zieman frame now...

Sean
Old 06-17-2005, 08:08 PM   #10

How do you know so much?? I want to be in the loop with production at WW. Can I hire you to supervise my build so everthing goes smoothly?

I got just about everything but the kitchen sink; 35 foot, 5.5 gen, 20+40 tanks w/ pump station, DC Batteries, double elec. queen beds the drop out of the ceiling (because I'm too lazy to pull them down , ramp screen (not the room), 5 bar full front, vinyl floor, and wide slide. I probably forgot a bunch of crap, but I got most of the bells and whistles.

I was fine with the aluminum on the last one, but thats all I knew. I guess I'm in the big leagues now.

WW LE3505
Old 06-17-2005, 08:27 PM   #11

How do you know so much?? I want to be in the loop with production at WW. Can I hire you to supervise my build so everthing goes smoothly?

I got just about everything but the kitchen sink; 35 foot, 5.5 gen, 20+40 tanks w/ pump station, DC Batteries, double elec. queen beds the drop out of the ceiling (because I'm too lazy to pull them down , ramp screen (not the room), 5 bar full front, vinyl floor, and wide slide. I probably forgot a bunch of crap, but I got most of the bells and whistles.

I was fine with the aluminum on the last one, but thats all I knew. I guess I'm in the big leagues now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gawd melon: I hope you got a kitchen sink! It's standard!

I've got to give alot of credit to the peeps here on iRV2...they helped me through a lot of stuff, and I owe them greatly. Other than that, I had a 1995 SLC, and it was just seeing what was avail for me to drool over...that's what really make my decision!

As far as production, and the fact that I've been involved in production lines before, if you got a 7/23 deliver date (or is it an 'out-of-production' date?), they've just barely got your coach on the drawing board. You've got plenty of time to change your mind. THe skin is the last to be put on (except for the access doors). Believe you me, like I said, you want the gelcoat- I lived through 5 years of having a fiberglass siding (ribbed like the alum type), and every time I washed it, or even tried to wax it, I'd get to about 1/4 of it and give up- too much work. Wound up one time spending $300 for someone to do it for me, and I really should've done it every 6 months to keep in pristine condition. A ribbed-sided coach has to be hand-washed/waxed...no buffer will do the trick correctly.

And you're real close to the bells & whistles we got...you'll be glad you did.

Got ya sold yet?!

Sean
Old 06-17-2005, 08:35 PM   #12

Sean,

Yeah, I'll call my dealer tomorrow. I guess it Cheereos for the next few weeks to pay for it. It would look better with smooth sides.

WW LE3505
Old 06-17-2005, 08:39 PM   #13

Ahhh....that's the spirit...besides- Cherrios are good for ya! (Forget the lack of taste sensation!).

You you don't like it, I'll see what I can do to get WW to buy it back for ya...what better guarantee can you get?

(BTW...is that little CD hack still missing?)

Sean
Old 06-17-2005, 08:47 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:
Ahhh....that's the spirit...besides- Cherrios are good for ya! (Forget the lack of taste sensation!).

You you don't like it, I'll see what I can do to get WW to buy it back for ya...what better guarantee can you get?

(BTW...is that little CD hack still missing?)

Sean </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We found her half way to Mexico in my neighbors car. Shes asleep now, peace at last.

Dont make me promises you cant keep. I'm going to hold you to them. I feel like I'm the only one who even entertained the idea of aluminum. I thought if I threw this out there I would get some that sided with either choice. I guess that just goes to show me, and help confirm what I should do.

Thanks Again, to to bed

Rod

WW LE3505