Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-03-2005, 04:20 PM   #15

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
The insulated box around the gen was compromised, insulation got into the carb, or whoever 'chewed' thru the protective sound box also broke an airline (and the box could also be the airbox) and we have a plugged carb or a leaking vaccuum ?

FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2005, 08:06 AM   #16

FINALLY got my rig back from the dealer, only to take it to the generac authorized repair facility in town.

The tech's first thought was fuel coagulation in the carburator, which, he tells me, isn't covered under warranty.

2 complaints

1....Why doesnt the dealer i bought my rig from service what they sell?

2....Why wouldn't a genny company cover fuel coagulation, knowing that it is a problem in their units??? why not either cover it under warranty, or solve the problem by changing to a carb that doesn't allow coagulation???

2003 Chevy Silverado 2500hd
learnem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 09:01 AM   #17

learnem, sorry about the gen problems

it is not warrantied, because it often can be attributed to what they term as 'misuse'

fuel coagulation is a problem with carbs
you need to use the carbs or the gas coagulates,
most people would consider it cheaper to just replace the carb then to tear it down and rebuild. the dealer does.
this is one of the reasons ONAN has a minimum use REQUIREMENT on their gens - use it a predescribed amount every month, or service is on your ticket. with use, the fuel does not get a chance to cooagulate.

the dealer i bought my 5'r from has the same problem. I am interested in carbs so i actually asked them about this a few months ago. they have had trailers sit on their lot for a few months, have run the gen initially to make sure it worked, and then let it sit. the carbs were esentially filled with gas, and then left sitting. they have had carb problems and they told me they actually had to have the rig sent out to have a NEW carb installed on the gen. it is not a real easy task for the typical RV or even generator dealer to rebuild carbs. I've rebuilt a lot of my harley carbs over the years and if i had my wish, I would never let dirt, paint, or coag-gas get into my carb's float again. they sell gas preservative if you have to let it sit, but it is better for the carb and engine's rings to run it, under load, every month.

if the problem really is the carb, and the cost of a new one is prohibitive, consider buying a rebuild kit
Old 05-14-2005, 01:51 PM   #18

Mike,

What happened? I take it you did not make it to Dove Springs afterall. I left there around 8:30pm, there was still alot of people plling in.

Hope everything is OK.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 09:03 PM   #19

Yeah Mike!!

From the date of your post, either Dove Springs went WiFi, or you're back at home...the latter would mean things didn't quite go as planned. We're very sorry that it couldn't happen for you (and us!).

Come on buddy...from the sound of it, you need to yack!! We missed you and really had hoped to meet you...hope everything's "fine" and "fixed"!

Sean
Old 05-19-2005, 10:12 AM   #20

Well, I'm going to pick the rig up today after work.......................85 bucks lighter

It seems that the fuel coagulated in the carb too long, and plugged an oriface or something. Is it difficult to take those carbs out, clean them, and put them back in???

2003 Chevy Silverado 2500hd
learnem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 12:09 PM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Is it difficult to take those carbs out, clean them, and put them back in???
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
NO - to the "difficult to take them out" question
It CAN Be - to the "hard to clean them" question
No - to the "hard to put them back in" question

and the only question that i feel you didn't ask was
"is there any difficulty in tuning up the carb once i reinstall it"

get a manual showing the gen and the carbs:
http://www.powercompany.org/manual.htm

In cleaning the carbs, there can be some VERY small passageways that can be hard to see. Don't miss any of them. But i think your carb is reasonably new isn't it? so it can't be all that dirty. I probably would even try going thru the carb without even using new gaskets if it is reasonably new. Examine all of them. If you find the correct manual from the link i provided you, post here the carb pages. I'd be interested in that.

Setting the idle and the air/gas mix is the last step.

Did anyone try a healthy dose of carb cleaner yet? If it sat too long that isn't going to do much, but i don't know the particulars. Have you checked to see how much for a rebuild? I probably would do it myself if i were you, but still i explore all options when faced with work.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:33 PM   #22

learnem:

Not quite sure on the Onan (don't have one yet), but on my Honda I was having the same prob- the local RV place just found a 'somewhat used' carb and installed it. If you're just even a junior Mr. Goodwrench, it's actaully not bad to take it off yourself- just be careful when you dismantle it- there are alot of little things that can jump out.

Hope this helps!! And Mike- great find on the link...that outta help him real well!!

Sean
Old 05-19-2005, 05:50 PM   #23

yep Sean, i would first try for the solution you found - somewhat used carb and go from there,
unless you have a little time on your hands and then you got both options.
at any rate, do you remember what the problem was with your Honda's carb?
Old 05-19-2005, 05:56 PM   #24

Something was clogged, and I DID take mine off, took it apart, and give a good douching of carb cleaner- but to no avail- hence my suggestion of just replacing it. There are just too many little cubby holes that I guess I could'nt get to. Fortunately, they had a 'used' one that only cost $140- I'd hate to know what a new one cost! And these are my 'friends'!

Good luck learnem!
Old 05-19-2005, 06:00 PM   #25

Hummmm...learnem:

On second thought, if you CAN take it off, you may want to buy some carb cleaner (or some solvent) in bulk (not spray) and let it soak overnight- sometimes just spraying it doesn't cut it. But BE SURE you strip it completely apart to make sure all the rubber and/or composite parts don't get the soakin'- you will ruin 'em.

Also...one thing I didn't do when I cleaned mine is to put a new gasket set on it- order one online and have it ready if you do so choose to play Mr. Goodwrench!

And above all...if you can get it working- be sure the filter is new, no crap in the tank, and run it like the manual says to!
Old 05-19-2005, 06:07 PM   #26

i have an old carb on my pan that i have rebuilt several times (this year alone) and it has a LEATHER part on it. it uses a leather sheath as a gas pump. i have a few of them, and swap parts. but there is something pure about a carb that has a leather part to it.
a lot of rebuild time, but still pure. even though it is 40 years old, it still runs good.
anyone with a lick of sense has replaced a Bendix carb or any of the other antique ones, but if it aint broke, keep on adjusting it
Old 05-19-2005, 08:45 PM   #27

Wow....now that is ancient. And it's still working?

Obviously, leather was a big sealer in 'those' days, and still proves to be the best in some apps these days. And today's carb cleaner won't affect it (unless you soak it, and if you do, just re-soak it in some mineral oil, and it'll perk right up).

Keep 'on rebuildin'- that's what my daddy always said (unitl I had my first Vega in high school!).
Old 05-19-2005, 08:53 PM   #28

OK....really didn't mean to bring up that Vega thing...ever had those moments in life you weren't particularly proud of?