Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2005, 07:18 AM   #1

Hi everyone. first thread here, long time poster on other sites.

I am having a problem with my generator. When no load is applied to it, it is fine. However, when I run my air compressor, or use the microwave, it hits high rpms, then drops back down, then goes back up, then down, up, down, up, down........until i shut off what I am using. It is a generac quietpac 40g

Any of you have a clue as to what is causing this?

tia

2003 Chevy Silverado 2500hd
learnem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2005, 07:18 AM   #2

Hi everyone. first thread here, long time poster on other sites.

I am having a problem with my generator. When no load is applied to it, it is fine. However, when I run my air compressor, or use the microwave, it hits high rpms, then drops back down, then goes back up, then down, up, down, up, down........until i shut off what I am using. It is a generac quietpac 40g

Any of you have a clue as to what is causing this?

tia

Old 04-22-2005, 07:47 AM   #3

learnem:

Welcome to iRV2!!

I JUST got over that same problem with my Honda EV6010...it was the carb- they just have a tendency to gum in spots where carb cleaner won't go, and getting worn in spots that replacement parts are available (throttle shaft).

Opps...one little diff after re-reading your post...my surging would happen if NO load was applied- if I turned on a whole bunch of stuff, it would smooth out and eventually start surging again.

Onw way I was able to see exactly what the problem was, was to try to choke off the genset. It would smooth out by doing so, so the problem was it was running lean. THAT is caused by some leakage somewhere around the carb. Also, try spraying carb cleaner around it while it's running- if it smooths out, then again, a leak.

New carb did it for me...that's all I can tell 'ya!
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 08:05 AM   #4

it's going in for warranty service tomorrow. I hope i can reproduce it in front of the service tech!

Old 04-22-2005, 09:52 AM   #5

Oh man! You didn't mention "warranty"! Geezz...you're poopin' in tall cotton, boy! Let the mechanicks loose on it, sit back, drink some suds, and put the checkbook/credit card back in the wallet!
Old 04-22-2005, 10:55 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
bad plug wires?, air or vaccuum leak? efi on that quietpac?
let us know when service gives you some 411

and as far as that Taco Truck Tour goes,
"Quiero alumonio con queso y aguacate, para llevar" ???
lemme try this one out slowly,...
i, ehhh, also want cheese and guacamole, for sure, but on the alumonio??? Sounds like the siding on my trailer (and I've gotten it on that before as well), but fill us in a bit more, senor,
as the taco part definitly has my attencion

where did I fall off track?
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 11:13 AM   #7

I was waiting for someone to ask!!! I have a favorite taqueria that i frequent close to my work, and have become friends with the owner, francisco.

I am a teacher, and take my students that get 100percent on their math tests to super taco for lunch the following monday. one time, one of my students couldn't finish his burrito, so i go to the counter and say"tiene alumonio?" which i thought was aluminum foil.

Franie gives me this look like i just called his mother a whore, and motions for me to come closer. as i get up in his grill he says, "my friend, you just asked if I have the devil!"

I started to laughand said "well, give me the devil, with cheese and avacado to go" in spanish (that is what is in my sig)
by the way, aluminium foil is aluminio

Old 04-22-2005, 11:15 AM   #8

****, ive been on here one day, and Im a junior member???? i should have senior member by what, 530pm today

Old 04-22-2005, 12:48 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
learnem
H.S. math ehhh? one of my faorite times in life. went on to Math Theory, UC

and if you are decent with numbers, here's how they add up:
1 - 5 posts = "New Member"
6 - 25 posts = "Junior Member"
26 - 200 Posts = "Member"
201 + = "Senior Member"

we take you out for a burrito once you get to 100, wrapped in alumonio con extra de'formage.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 01:24 PM   #10

well, ill take the burrito, but ill have to say no to the xtra fumunda cheese..

I teach 5th grade

Old 05-02-2005, 04:40 PM   #11

learnem:

Any progress on the fix? Gotta get that thing up to speed!
Old 05-03-2005, 01:44 PM   #12

THe dealer told me that they are not equipped to handle the problem. I was told that some insulation had been ripped off, and some box had been damaged??????? I have to take it to a local guardian service tech when the rig gets out from the dealer...

Old 05-03-2005, 02:40 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by learnem:
THe dealer told me that they are not equipped to handle the problem. I was told that some insulation had been ripped off, and some box had been damaged??????? I have to take it to a local guardian service tech when the rig gets out from the dealer... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Insulation ripped off..... mice or wood rats

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:07 PM   #14

Huuummmm...things that make 'ya go 'hummmmmmm'...gotta go with 56: insulation doesn't make a genset surge, and the "box", unless it has some type of delicate electronics in it, wouldn't do it either.

We'll be interested in what the "equipped" house has to say!