Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2007, 08:17 AM   #1

To all,

I have a 2005 R-Wagon R-Vision 29 ft toy hauler. My question is will one of these Pep Boy generators run my AC? They have a 3000 watt rated with 25 amps of power. I have a big 6500 watt but it is SO LOUD that it annoys people. I just need one quiet that will run my ac.

Thanks,

Jim
hp22402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2007, 08:17 AM   #2

To all,

I have a 2005 R-Wagon R-Vision 29 ft toy hauler. My question is will one of these Pep Boy generators run my AC? They have a 3000 watt rated with 25 amps of power. I have a big 6500 watt but it is SO LOUD that it annoys people. I just need one quiet that will run my ac.

Thanks,

Jim
hp22402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:39 AM   #3

I think it would work. You just need to see what the startup (surge) rating is and make sure that your AC wont go over. Once its running you should be fine. Keep in mind, however, that some of your other items will be running of this as well (charger/converter and 12-volt lighting for example) and will add a little to the overall amp draw. I would pull the filter off the AC and check the ratings to make sure you are getting what you are looking for. Add to that min/max pull on the converter and you'll know where you stand.

2006 WW LE3305 w/Trail Air pinbox
kford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:40 AM   #4

Maybe they will let you start the generator and plug the trailer into it...

If so, I'd put a good meter into one of the outlets and see if the volts drop when you kick on the AC.

It would also be good to hear the pepboy generator running with a load on it. If it isn't significantly quieter than what you have now, it would be nice to find that out before you buy.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:47 AM   #5

any elcheepo generator will be as loud or louder that what you have.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:15 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Jim, Honda says an RV 13.5 btu ac will require 2800watts to start & 1800watts to run. Also you might look at www.duropower.com. I have the 3500E (Wife wanted an electric start)It's a nice unit with a 30amp rv plug and was only $329 delivered. It's 100# with the battery. The engine is a Honda clone.
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:50 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 450Donn:
any elcheepo generator will be as loud or louder that what you have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second that. With generators, you get what you pay for in terms of quietness.

I have a Honda EU3000i & it will run my 15k BTU A/C, plus a TV/DVD player, the fridge & the AC to DC converter..and it's ultra quiet. I just have to leave the fridge on propane when the Air Cond. unit starts up, then I can turn it to AC power once the air is up & running.

I've never owned one, but I've also heard the Yamaha generators are very quiet as well.
Sixgunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:42 PM   #8

I gotta echo the sentiments given so far: other than reliability, most of what you pay for in a generator is the quietness of it. I've got some camping buddies who went the cheap route, and all I wind up doing is letting them plug into my coach so I don't have to hear their freakin generator. And I'm talking about being out in the middle of the desert.

I know they're enticing due to the price, but don't do it (IMHO). My $0.02....
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:00 AM   #9

There is a gadget you can wire into your AC that lowers the surge requirements. I don't remember the name....it's like a "soft start" or something. I believe it is a capacitor that stores energy, and when the AC starts it draws the surge load from the capacitor. I'm at work, so I don't have the info at my fingertips.

Many people with the Honda 2000w generator use it to run their AC.

Steve
Trvlngnrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:20 PM   #10

While I have a 4K built in there are times at the beach when pavement parking prohibits using it... as i would be exhausting into my neighbors door... So we have a Honda 2000i and have been able to run the A/C and the battery charger without any issue.
The portable allows us to move it "outback" and away from everyone and its really quiet... besides its not that often we have to run the A/C at the beach... but its a great back up...

What I have... 30 Foot Thor Wanderer.
Outlaw525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:17 AM   #11

I have the Onan 5500 in my rig, but when I just need to charge the batteries or let the kids play video games or watch a movie I use a Honda 2000 watt inverter. When shopping for generators keep in mind that the inverter type (like the Honda and Yamaha)are the most quiet.
rideblue is offline   Reply With Quote