Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2016, 04:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
737Captain
How much fuel is in your fuel tank?
As you may know most RV generators will not run if the tank fuel drops below 1/4 full.
True for Motorhomes, Not for Trailers. like the Fuzion he is talking about.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 04:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737Captain View Post
Sorry if I'm not explaining myself properly. The coach came with 2 batteries installed. The first is a deep cycle battery that runs the coach 12v system. The other which I replaced last October is a high cranking amp battery whose purpose is to start the generator and I assume supply the 12v to run it. Again, and this is only an assumption that second battery, like th first gets its charge through the converter.

Odd that your Fuzion came with 2 separate battery systems. Mine has 2 batteries, but they combined to feed the house lights etc as well as start the generator. I have never seen one like you are describing, not saying it is not true, just never seen it that way on a toyhauler trailer.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm2good View Post
Odd that your Fuzion came with 2 separate battery systems. Mine has 2 batteries, but they combined to feed the house lights etc as well as start the generator. I have never seen one like you are describing, not saying it is not true, just never seen it that way on a toyhauler trailer.
Yep, it's kind of odd isn't it? We parked it recently and inadvertently left a light on, when we came back the house battery was very, very low but the generator started right up. (That is of course prior to the current issue, no pun intended)
737Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:33 AM   #18

Setup that way doesn't give you much reserve power but at least you can recover from an accidental discharge.

Tieing them together would leave you with no means to start the generator, if the lights were left on.

I'm wondering if Onan has a charging output for that unit.

Have you looked at the small fuses on the generator panel that may be blown.

You could give Onan a call, with the model number and ask. Otherwise, you do need a trik-l-start to keep the battery up.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:39 AM   #19

Assuming it is a Cummins Onan RV QG 4000 EVAP or RV QG 5500 EVAP, there is no battery charging option for the generator. The converter should be wired to charge both batteries which are usually tied together.
lotsoftoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:52 AM   #20

Yes its a QG5500EVAP.Im thinking I either have a better issue or a converter issue.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:06 PM   #21

Our T/H has 2 6v house batteries and a 12v gen starter battery. They are connected by a battery separator (not isolator). The separator senses battery charge and will send current to the battery(s) that require charging. If a bank of batteries is low and does not sense a charge, it will draw from the other bank.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:37 PM   #22

I know you think it's a battery issue so that's most likely the source... did you try to jump it with your tow vehicle? One other thing to check gennys have altitude compensaters on them and if not set properly will cause the generator not to start if ran too rich or too lean for an extended period. If you're on vacation that may be another cause of your issue. They usually have three settings on them to adjust for proper altitude and if is being cranked too much it will shut down until things cool down and folks think the battery is dead. Hope this helps.

Are your batteries tied together? If so you may have one drawing the other battery down. Most toyhaulers don't have 2 systems for batteries just one and a set for solar Check out your wiring and see if the two batteries are cabled together.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:08 AM   #23

I have done a lot more research and have determined the gender battery is not charging, the house battery is and the convertor or is putting out 12v with the charging wizard showing the correct sequence of lights.

I found an Onan maintainance manual that talks about a voltage regulator that is optional for battery charging located beneath the unit and gives specs to test it. I'm wondering if I have that fitted and it's gone bad. We are away from home until the end of the month and only using sites with 50a service so really don't need it. When we get home I'll have the unit removed and take s look. There is no access from below.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:09 AM   #24

I have done a lot more research and have determined the gender battery is not charging, the house battery is and the convertor or is putting out 12v with the charging wizard showing the correct sequence of lights.

I found an Onan maintainance manual that talks about a voltage regulator that is optional for battery charging located beneath the unit and gives specs to test it. I'm wondering if I have that fitted and it's gone bad. We are away from home until the end of the month and only using sites with 50a service so really don't need it. When we get home I'll have the unit removed and take s look. There is no access from below.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:50 PM   #25

[IMG]http://http://gmcws.org/Tech/dsimmons/onan/onan.html#gene

Page 3 describes the dedicated battery charging system
Old 08-07-2016, 03:55 PM   #26

Here is the bit about the voltage regulator.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:58 PM   #27

If it was me I'd buy another new battery same style as the new one and wire them so that you have a 12 volt system as required by battery type that consists of two batteries with twice as much amperage since your generator charges and works on the one battery. That for the most part would solve your issues and use your battery disconnect when in storage to eliminate phantom loads draining your power.

Do a google search or look in the tech forum using search function and you'll see what's required and it may cost you for one cable to link batteries but in the end you'll be using the system the way it most likely was designed and will be less problematic. Most onans have no problem starting on deep cycle batteries and having owned a few dozen of them it's never been a problem for the most common sizes used in towable rv's. Somethings not right and I suspect somebody's told you or sold you something that clearly isn't the norm. Hope this helps.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:45 PM   #28

Would it be possible to post pics of the batteries and how they are wired? That may eliminate some speculation and provide a possible solution.

Tags
generator