Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:14 AM   #1

Generator sudden quit

My 2012 Fuzion toy haul is equipped with an Onan generator which has worked flawlessly until last night. It had been running for a while, suddenly stopped and wouldn't restart. There was minimal load at the time. My almost new battery had insufficient power to restart the generator. I hooked up a battery charger and was able to restart. I unhooked he battery charger, it ran for 5-10 minutes and shut down again. I assume it needs a good battery to run the generator, and I'm thinking that it's not recharging although it puts out 120v to the coach.

Any ideas where to start?

Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2016, 09:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737Captain View Post
My 2012 Fuzion toy haul is equipped with an Onan generator which has worked flawlessly until last night. It had been running for a while, suddenly stopped and wouldn't restart. There was minimal load at the time. My almost new battery had insufficient power to restart the generator. I hooked up a battery charger and was able to restart. I unhooked he battery charger, it ran for 5-10 minutes and shut down again. I assume it needs a good battery to run the generator, and I'm thinking that it's not recharging although it puts out 120v to the coach.
Any ideas where to start?
Thanks in advance.
737Captain
How much fuel is in your fuel tank?
As you may know most RV generators will not run if the tank fuel drops below 1/4 full.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:30 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I would bet that his toy hauler has a LPG Onan Generator and probably has two 30 lb LPG tanks. Or possibly it has its own gas tank under the toy section in which case it wouldn't stop until it ran dry as they are no other engines relying on that fuel tank.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 07-10-2016, 09:37 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Recently I had a rubber fuel line collapse when hot. My indications were the genny ran and started fine when cold, but would restart but run rough (gallop) if the genny was hot (from running loaded an hour or so). You could not see the fuel line collapse
Rubber fuel line was located at the input to the fuel pump (ran from fuel tank to fuel pump). Cost $2 (AutoZone) to replace so this would be a cheap place to start. My fuel line was 16 years old (model year 2000)
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:35 AM   #5

The dedicated fuel tank was over half full. The almost new battery, which sole purpose is to start the generator, was too low to fire it up. Used a charger to jump start the generator, died again 5-10 minutes later.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:44 AM   #6

Your generator needs 12 volts to run.
Many RV generators don't have 12 volt output to keep the battery charged but instead, rely on the converter of the RV to do that.

Check your battery, while running, to see if it is getting charged.

You may have left off a wire, have a blown fuse or tripped a breaker.

Until things are fixed, you could leave the charger on the battery and plugged into the generator.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:23 PM   #7

Location: Retired Military, 2017 Ram 2500 Hemi 6.4 4x4, Waiting on lotto to hit! :)
when was the last time you changed the fuel filter(s)???
Old 07-10-2016, 03:50 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Would it restart and run after cool-down?
Old 07-10-2016, 09:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Your generator needs 12 volts to run.
Many RV generators don't have 12 volt output to keep the battery charged but instead, rely on the converter of the RV to do that.

Check your battery, while running, to see if it is getting charged.

You may have left off a wire, have a blown fuse or tripped a breaker.

Until things are fixed, you could leave the charger on the battery and plugged into the generator.

Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was looking for, I assumed the genset logic needed 12v to operate. I was thinking that its output is purely 110/120 volts and the battery charging function is via the converter or built in battery charger. I did a quick check of the CBs and none were tripped but didn't have time to pull the row of fuses and check them. I left the unit in Michigan while I had to return to work but will be back at the end of the month and will check them.

I think we're on the road to recovery.

Thank you all for your input.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:47 AM   #10

It seems that it's either a battery problem or a battery charging problem. Can someone tell me how I can check if the battery is receiving a charge? Can I put a meter on the battery with the generator running or on shore power and see amps volts, watts or widgets flowing to the battery? If so what would be a good number value?

Thanks
Old 07-14-2016, 09:07 AM   #11

You stated earlier that you installed the battery with a sole purpose to start the generator.

Is this a stand alone battery, hooked only to the generator ?
If that's the case, you need to add a small charger (10 amp ) to it, run by the generator, to replace power used to run the engine.

If not a stand alone battery but one that also runs lights and things, you need to see a minimum of 13 volts or more, on the battery terminals, to push voltage into your 12.6 volt battery.

This power will come from the installed converter/charger, that runs off shore or generator, 120 volt power.

Any thing less then 12.6 volts is a discharging situation.

If you have a converter/charger, check the 120 volt circuit breaker on the input side and check for a fuse from the output ( 12 volt ) side of it.

Good luck
Old 07-14-2016, 10:20 AM   #12

The generator requires 12V for the control and fuel pump (if gasoline). The generator does not charge batteries directly but supplies 120V to the converter through the AC distribution panel. Sounds like a converter or battery issue.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You stated earlier that you installed the battery with a sole purpose to start the generator.

Is this a stand alone battery, hooked only to the generator ?
If that's the case, you need to add a small charger (10 amp ) to it, run by the generator, to replace power used to run the engine.

If not a stand alone battery but one that also runs lights and things, you need to see a minimum of 13 volts or more, on the battery terminals, to push voltage into your 12.6 volt battery.

This power will come from the installed converter/charger, that runs off shore or generator, 120 volt power.

Any thing less then 12.6 volts is a discharging situation.

If you have a converter/charger, check the 120 volt circuit breaker on the input side and check for a fuse from the output ( 12 volt ) side of it.

Good luck
Sorry if I'm not explaining myself properly. The coach came with 2 batteries installed. The first is a deep cycle battery that runs the coach 12v system. The other which I replaced last October is a high cranking amp battery whose purpose is to start the generator and I assume supply the 12v to run it. Again, and this is only an assumption that second battery, like th first gets its charge through the converter.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737Captain View Post
It seems that it's either a battery problem or a battery charging problem. Can someone tell me how I can check if the battery is receiving a charge? Can I put a meter on the battery with the generator running or on shore power and see amps volts, watts or widgets flowing to the battery? If so what would be a good number value?

Thanks
If its charging properly, the battery voltage should reads about 13.5 volts

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator