Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2016, 04:05 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Golf Carts in Campgrounds

We have kept mostly to state parks and COE both of which restrict golf carts but I know some of you are still hauling carts. What are the general rules and where can I take my cart?

BTW just getting into Toy Haulers.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2016, 07:28 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I don't have a cart at present, but in most parks where I've noticed regulations, they tend to only allow electric carts, gasoline powered are too noisy.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:46 PM   #3

I think you can get around most of the restrictions by getting one that is street legal. I know that works where I stay.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:57 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Guess I strike out on these first two responses; mine is gasoline and "not" street ready. I will say that many years ago we went to Disney Fort Wilderness and golf carts were the norm.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:27 AM   #5

i have a gas street legal and when we have taken it and used it we have never been told that we were not allowed to or been given any instruction at check-in?? shucks, in vegas we used it to go almost everywhere outside the grounds...
meseahunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:22 AM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
I've been to a lot of CG's in Florida. And Down here golf carts are everywhere. Heck we even have entire cities that allow golf carts on the road, and some even the right of way.
Only one place I found that has restrictions. Suwanee River Music Park. They require liability insurance and it HAS TO BE a gas or electric GOLF CART, not the gators, razors, or sport quads. And they charge you for bringing one in even if you don't use it.

So I'd bet if you have one that has lights and brake lights and have liability insurance on it and you don't run around rowdy and drunk or let young kids raise hell in it, you'll probably be fine with one.

Just tell them it's your toad.
82ndCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:17 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regulation in private and membership parks varies.. Some say only Electric, some don't mind Gas (They are not (usually) all that noisy) many have speed limits (5MPH in one park I visit 7 in another).

The bottom line is it varies.> Some even rent Golf Cars.. True story:

One membership park (The 5MPH) rents carts.. The rules say the operator must be licensed to drive cars, and in the case of rentals 21 years of age. So family golf car's to family center, Realize they forgot something so Mommie tosses keys to 14 year old and says "Go fetch" Kid fires it up, puts the pedal to the metal and a park worker hollers at him (he is, after all too young) He turns to give her the bird, And of course being less than experienced the Golf Car turned with him.

He missed the bridge put 'er in the lake, and himself in the hospital, Had to use a crane to fish the golf car out of the drink.. His parents wound up buying the park a brand new "in the box" golf car to replace the one he drowned.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:10 PM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Regulation in private and membership parks varies.. Some say only Electric, some don't mind Gas (They are not (usually) all that noisy) many have speed limits (5MPH in one park I visit 7 in another).

The bottom line is it varies.> Some even rent Golf Cars.. True story:

One membership park (The 5MPH) rents carts.. The rules say the operator must be licensed to drive cars, and in the case of rentals 21 years of age. So family golf car's to family center, Realize they forgot something so Mommie tosses keys to 14 year old and says "Go fetch" Kid fires it up, puts the pedal to the metal and a park worker hollers at him (he is, after all too young) He turns to give her the bird, And of course being less than experienced the Golf Car turned with him.

He missed the bridge put 'er in the lake, and himself in the hospital, Had to use a crane to fish the golf car out of the drink.. His parents wound up buying the park a brand new "in the box" golf car to replace the one he drowned.

Supervision is usually forced upon us because of stories like that.

I was a problem child myself. Still am in some aspects.
When I was a kid, went on a camping trip in a p/u camper with the folks and my best friend. NH if I remember correctly. We were at a place that had those electric swan boats. They put me and my side kick in one. Well I got the bright idea to get in my own and I jumped in one tied way at the end of the dock. Little did I know it was tied way down there for a reason. It didn't steer. Ended up playing bumper boats with several others filled with others and set a few toddlers off to screaming like the earth was spinning out of control.
Man did I get my ass whooped that day.
82ndCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 01:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
I think you can get around most of the restrictions by getting one that is street legal. I know that works where I stay.
Same with state parks in Ohio.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 02:56 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
No golf carts in Missouri state parks, unless you are handicapped.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 12-26-2016, 05:09 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding "Supervision is forced upon us"

Well.. as I said, he put it in the lake, and himself in the hospital and if it's have been my kid.. Well, I won't say but let's say a repeat performance is not likely,, I don't think it is with this one either.

The rule in that park is Parents need to supervise their minor children.. Failure to do that can cost you your membership and I think replacements today are around $6,000.00 so most parents comply.. Some don't.

Another story from same park.. Kid was stealing bicycles out of the Bicycle rack next to the great big sign that says "This area under video surveillance, I got to see him, and his grandpa, in the manager's office (I had business in a nearby room) as I walked by... Grandpa did not look happy.. Seems the sign... Told the truth and they were watching the "Instant replay" as it were.

In another time and place (political threads mostly) I mention that Reading is FUNdemental.. That kid would have had a whole lot more FUN if he'd have read that sign.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:48 PM   #12

We take ours everywhere, we live in Georgia and states parks here they have to have lights, mirror, ect. And have a parking pass for it, we have never been questioned about having it at any park. Some parks charge a fee some require insurance, we just ask when making reservation's.
crors7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:55 PM   #13

In my experience electric will be allowed more than gas golf carts. Resort type campgrounds are a lot easier than state or federal for golf cart use. It is possible to get around that by making cart street legal. Seat belts, lights etc.

I did it to mine but never registered it. The cost and hassle of new tag + insurance every year was more trouble than it was worth.

We do and have camped at Ocean Lake's in SC for the last 20 + years and it is a normal sight to see privately owned golf carts sitting at traffic light leaving campground for a Walmart or Walgreen's run.
sc1camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 05:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaggy View Post
No golf carts in Missouri state parks, unless you are handicapped.
Yes!!!!!! I knew there was something about MO I would like.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground