Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2005, 04:56 PM   #1

Hey guys Im looking for some thoughts and advice on gps. I had a Garmin Summit handheld that I liked alot untill it was stolen on a camping trip a couple years ago. Seems technolagy has come along way and prices have come down quite a bit recently. I'm interested in a unit that I can use for navigation in our new pickup, On the KTM, and on offshore fishing runs. Is there a unit available that will do all these ? Am I better off with two different units? How important is a color display.I have been looking at the Garmin pda unit as well as the e-trex line. Any body know if the same pda can be used for gps and a diesel tuner? Any ideas appreciated.
Thanx,
Phil
RidgeTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2005, 04:56 PM   #2

Hey guys Im looking for some thoughts and advice on gps. I had a Garmin Summit handheld that I liked alot untill it was stolen on a camping trip a couple years ago. Seems technolagy has come along way and prices have come down quite a bit recently. I'm interested in a unit that I can use for navigation in our new pickup, On the KTM, and on offshore fishing runs. Is there a unit available that will do all these ? Am I better off with two different units? How important is a color display.I have been looking at the Garmin pda unit as well as the e-trex line. Any body know if the same pda can be used for gps and a diesel tuner? Any ideas appreciated.
Thanx,
Phil
Old 11-25-2005, 06:47 PM   #3

GPS........ heck, I wanna hear about your new
truck

Dah, I see ya posted already.

Can't wait to see it.

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 07:51 AM   #4

I have a Garmin GPSmap 76C. It's a pretty powerful handheld. Has built in base map and can be updated with street maps and marine charts. I have built a handlebar mount to put on a bike or my quad. It also mounts nice at the helm.

It's a bit pricey but if you look around you can find one with map software for aroun 350-450.00 depending on maps you need.

2004 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Intruder350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 12:16 PM   #5

Do not know a whole lot about it but the Tomtom advertises be versitile for the applications you seek. Look up tomtom.com
Old 11-26-2005, 04:49 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RidgeTop:
I have been looking at the Garmin pda unit as well as the e-trex line. Any body know if the same pda can be used for gps and a diesel tuner? Any ideas appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Phil:

I got the Garmin iQue3600 with our F350...a Palm PDA with a pretty good GPS...I'm still in the process of learning how to use all of it, but I have had it navigate back and forth to work and it's right on. I just recently upgraded the SecureCard to a 512mb so I could load more map area. So far, so good!

Not quite sure what you mean by using the same PDA for GPS and a diesel tuner- most tuners are their own unit. Heck, there may be one out there!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 05:21 PM   #7
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Phil;
I have been looking at a 2610 and 2620 , for the motorcycle. Both are waterproof, if your going to use it on the water, be sure its waterproof. Also they come with dash mounts and you can get extra mounts for differant uses. Go to the Garmin and Magellian web sites, both have the ability to compare the units.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:06 PM   #8

Sean,
I believe the diesel tuner I was referring to is called the Power PDA by Banks. Ihave not looked into it that much but from what I know it's a pretty slick set up that uses a palm PDA as a base unit. It monitors things such as egt horsepower gains,0-60 times,1/4 mile times and can calibrate speedo's for oversized tires.The power programming software can be updated regularly through Banks website. The unit can also be swapped between vehicles. Iwould imagine the pda could be used for programmin and gps I dont know for sure. The only downfall I see is that the PDA is pretty fragile and to my knowledege not waterproof or resistant.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:12 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kablewizard:
I have been looking at a 2610 and 2620 , for the motorcycle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Jim,

As you know, the 2620 uses a micro hard drive (MHD) that is susceptable to shock and vibration. I have one that I bought for our truck. To use it on my BMW K1200GT, I've ordered one of the following specialty shock-absorbing mounts that are available HERE :
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">* Fits new GPS 2610, 2620, 2720 only (does not fit old StreetPilot or SP III)

* MvG provides Softest "suspension" available to protect the electronics. Use the MvG model as special precaution if Micro-drive (spinning hard drive) CF cards are used. 2620 has an internal Micro-drive.

* very secure attachment
MvG model has SUPER suspension for vibration protection on single-cyl and rough twins. Highly recomended if "micro-drive" CF card is used, such as on 2620

* mounts to 1/2 inch crossbar
can be used with RAM arm 065-0040 (=grbh)
includes stylus </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If I had it to do over, I'd go with the 2610 with a 2 gigabyte CF memory card that will hold the mapping data for all of North America and is more vibration-resistant. The 2720 and 2730 are also possibilities. Another interesting GPS is the Tomtom Rider - a motorcycle-specific unit that (to my knowledge) is just now hitting the market.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 08:09 PM   #10

Come on guys help a brother out with some more advice.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:43 AM   #11

Nor'easters Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RidgeTop:
Come on guys help a brother out with some more advice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm very happy with my 2620. Took an 11000 mile trip this past summer. Had the whole trip loaded in even before we left. Worked great!

Here's a link to a helpful website that lets you compare units. Good luck.
camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 06:04 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Just to amplify from my earlier post. Functionally, the 2620 is great - I like it as much or more than the Alpine DVD-based OEM navigation system in my Acura 3.2TL-S. The mapping detail is much more robust - it has even taken us down private roads, complete with address #s, that I never dreamed would be in the mapping database.

The only concern I've had with the 2620 was using it on the motorcycle due to the micro hard disc (MHD), and I hope to have that taken care of very soon.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote