Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:05 PM   #1

Grand Design Momentum ? Think Twice

I would think twice about Grand Design Momentum. I own one it has been camped in twice. So far I have replaced all grease seals and brakes shoes. GD response was a link to LCI were I could buy new parts. Awning upgrade, Kitchen faucet replacement, Rear toy hauler ramp repair to keep it from falling off. Five new tires.Garage lights replaced. Propane tank retainers replaced. Fuel filter added to gen set. Awning light replaced. Replaced DVD/stereo system. All of this was done out of my wallet. The last straw for me was when my main
(center) 15K AC went out at 25 hours of use. We where out of town with 3 guest in RV. GD was of no help. I ended up getting the only Dometic certified installer in area to replace it. Cost to me $ 900. I took the time and effort to bring old AC home. I contacted GD once we got home and offered to take it local dealer or whoever they wanted to look at it within 75 miles. That was 3 weeks ago never heard anything from them .
Customer service is worthless and Grand Design Owners Forum web site is tightly controlled for negative comments. Dont make the same mistake I did.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #2

Wow, sounds like you got a lemon. Sad to hear, because they are some sweet looking trailers. Keep bugging them and don't take "no" for an answer. Good luck.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:11 PM   #3

In all fairness I need to post they did end up paying for AC in full including labor.
Lesson for all of us is disregard info on manufactures web sites. Grand Design Owners Forum claims to be independent definitely not the case as I found out.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:32 PM   #4

I am over the pain of GD purchase. In the end it is a OK RV with many expensive problems. Some covered by GD. It is a long shot from the quality of my KZ Toy Hauler. If thinking about GD just be aware it is just another camper nothing special. Price accordingly.
GD has a very effective online team and people who are not supporters or cheerleaders are quickly eliminated and/or shut out. I would not put any creditably in GD owners form. Many posters don't even own a GD. They may be paid per post. Sight administrator and other owners get personal treatment that us regular folks will not. This is just my opinion. GD informed me politely after AC issue they were done, don't call them again. I have no bone in this fight camper is a 2014.
Hope this helps
Old 12-14-2015, 04:58 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
That's disappointing, as I'm largely looking toward that brand as "different" from the normal post-sale problems of other brands - like Keystone. Literally, 2 exact same BBB complaints about tank size were addressed and GD fixed it, Keystone said "SOL".

Did you grease the bearings? If so, I understand why GD would reject any claim - easy to over-do it and destroy the brakes. Around here the dealer won't even use the zerks, they only do them by hand.

Why wasn't the DVD/stereo system covered? Or did you not like the factory version?

If GD customer service will even take your call, that's an improvement to what I'm used to... :-)
Old 12-28-2015, 03:01 PM   #6

Grand Design is in all practical terms, Keystone. I know they are 2 different companies, but the same exact people that started Keystone sold off the old company and started assembling LCI components again as "Grand Design".

I am not knocking GD, merely stating a valid observation. The coaches are for the most part assembled identically, albeit with different trim finishes and colors. But the hardware and components are exactly the same. You will however pay a 10-20% higher price for a GD over a Keystone product. Not sure why other than aesthetics. As long as you enter the relationship with reasonable expectations you may not be disappointed. And like other "relationships" GD is still in the "courting" stage, and as such is operating at 200% of reality. Once they get settled in we will find out where they truly stand. I actually prefer several of the Keystone features such as the cargo tie downs, mor ryde ramp hardware, and the availability of a north/south king size bed (only one I know of in a slide out master suite).

JMHO YMMV
Old 12-29-2015, 03:16 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
redhooker,
I didn't have that much background on the founding of Momentum, but perhaps they're bringing what made Keystone successful originally.

I completely agree with you that largely most of the toy haulers share the same basic construction techniques and components. Given that there are some higher end exceptions in suspension, but general frame is the same, "finish out" varies, but general per-unit engineering continues.

Keystone, however offers very little in consumer support after the purchase and refers to it's dealer network. That dealer network is probably paid a fraction of what they make on retail maintenance/repair and the end owner eats the result... Generally it's OK if you can get it back to where you bought it, but if you can't - don't expect Keystone to setup a dealer appointment for you.

Construction techniques being the same, one can hope for a difference in the skill level of those doing the assembly or some amount of QA inspection during that process. My Keystone had the roof come off and although the dealer said mine was the only unit they had ever seen with that issue, guys in the repair bays told me differently.

The other difference is a factory warranty. Is an additional 1-2 years worth a 20% premium? Maybe... Maybe not...

I do think Keystone is a better value, but wish some of the consumer practices would improve. As long as they're #1 in RV sales, the chances of that are unlikely.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:34 AM   #8

Grand Design Momentum ? Think Twice

I don't agree you'll pay a premium on a Grand Designs over a Keystone product. I've owned both toy haulers, currently have the Momentum 385TH. Our 2011 Fuzion was great and so far we like our 385 but have only owned it for four months. We looked at most every toy made and the Fuzion was priced as high and in most cases higher than the Momentum. I'm comparing the "Chrome Edition" to Grand Designs "Momentum" so they are equipped much the same. I bought my 2015 385TH at 37% off MSRP and don't think I could have gotten a better price on the Fuzion. I like the Fuzion a lot but didn't care for the blue exterior and hated the interior flooring. But, that's just a personal preference and know many like those features. If it hadn't of been for the flooring we probably would have bought another Fuzion. They all have their issues, some particular units much more than others. Quality control needs vast improvement on all of them, it's ridiculous.

I know I've said this before but Grand Designs was the only company that returned my phone calls before I purchased. They will also send you parts if needed, a must for me since I bought out of state. The biggest issue for me is the dealer and a lot of them suck which is why I chose to save thousands and buy elsewhere.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:48 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Like C130 - direct factory support means a lot to me. When all of our LED lights failed on our Keystone (one at a time) 1200 miles from home, Keystone referred us to a "local dealer". The local dealer said that we had to wait 90 days to get an appointment for warranty work on an RV that we didn't purchase with them.. And one openly laughed at us.

Our local dealer told us to "bring it back" - yea right. Sure, we'll travel back 1200 miles so you can fix the lighting. They finally agreed to "ship" us lights after I agreed to pay for them up front.

Apparently Keystone couldn't ship direct to my location - or my dealer never figured that option out.

For minor things, I'd just as soon take care of them myself. Otherwise the dealer leaves off the hitch adapter (boom) or discharges new batteries...

There IS warranty work that I'd like a dealer to do, but generally it's the exception...
Old 01-04-2016, 06:56 PM   #10

I concur, Fuzions can be had close to 40% off msrp. We have a quote on a 414 chrome for right over 60k. The best price we found on a 385 momentum was well over 80k. As far as I am concerned they are the same quality and same amenities, in fact the Fuzion has a much nicer mor-ryde patio ramp. I do hate the black all over the Fuzion though. I saw nothing worth the 20k extra on the gd, but perhaps I am not shopping at the right dealers and it is skewing my perspective on grand design. As far as service goes, we witnessed 2 new grand design fivers (one reflection and one momentum) experience some pretty nasty failures, of which I even have some pics. Both times the owners struggled to get repairs as they were dealing with a non-selling dealer. Which in the dealer's defense, they can't touch them without approval first from the factory. Both times that approval came s l o w l y. As I said before though, I am used to that but I see decent (and similarly slow) responses from keystone. Just par for the industry unfortunately. So I am not saying GD is bad, just too similar to the other brands to stand out to me.

I cannot agree more though-if they are selling grand design 385s for under 70k I would not hesitate to buy one, that's just not the case where I've shopped. I am glad to hear that some dealers are discounting these units to price comparably to the Keystones. We will look for another dealer before moving forward.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:00 AM   #11

Most of the problems the OP listed are with components that vendors supply - vendors that the industry as a whole uses. Its part of why many have such low opinion of the RV industry's quality.

I know someone that delivers campers for a living, and his opinion is that Grand Design's quality isn't up there with the high end brands. I really like the Momentum 376TH's design - it'd allow me to bring a motorcycle while be more comfortable when parked or in transit.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
The best price we found on a 385 momentum was well over 80k.

I paid $65000 for our 385TH, it's loaded with every option you could get I think.

C130 is offline   Reply With Quote