Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:51 PM   #1

Grand Designs Momentum Toy Haulers

Any Momentum toy hauler owners here? Just sold my 2011 Fuzion 322 Touring Edition and looking at several different brand toy haulers with the Momentum currently at the top of the list. I joined the Grand Designs Owners Forum but there's not a lot of action over there and wanted some other opinions and owners feedback. Wanting to know if there's anything in particular to look for in the 385TH or 388 models as those are the two we are interested in?

We stayed at an RV resort back in June where Grand Designs owner were having a rally. My wife an I got to talk to several owners and visited several different model Momentum's. Every owner had great things to say not only about their RV's but also Grand Designs customer service. Most, if not everyone, we talked to had been previous RV owners and they were all very happy with their Grand Designs trailers. I know a lot of Momentum owners are probably members of both forums but thought maybe there were some different view points here also. I will be looking at used or new leftover 2015 models.

C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2015, 10:22 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are some owners here...trying to have them find your post is the trick.

Why not start by adding to an existing thread like:
My Dream Toy Hauler Grand Design 388M??

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
There are some owners here...trying to have them find your post is the trick.

Why not start by adding to an existing thread like:
My Dream Toy Hauler Grand Design 388M??

Best luck
Thanks, posted in that thread also.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:41 PM   #4

I'm on the fence about trading in my2014 Sandstorm for a 2015 GD Momentum. The only thing holding me back is that the company is so new. I know it was started by the founders of Keystone but I'm still uneasy. How are your experiences?
Old 08-01-2015, 11:18 PM   #5

GD is decent...look at all manufacturers, but I wouldn't necessarily rate Grand Design above Keystone. We have an Evergreen Tesla 3950 and we really like it with the residential fridge and dishwasher, but I've seen quite a few of the new models and I have say Jayco builds a very nice toyhauler 5er. I always liked the Voltage 3970 as my favorite, but I just couldn't do it...too many problems with them over the last year. Crossroads Elevation builds a good unit along with Forest River XLR, but they all had a thing or 2 that I didn't like. Don't get in a hurry...and don't compromise too much...get what you want!
Old 08-02-2015, 02:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassafras View Post
I'm on the fence about trading in my2014 Sandstorm for a 2015 GD Momentum. The only thing holding me back is that the company is so new. I know it was started by the founders of Keystone but I'm still uneasy. How are your experiences?
There's not much selection as far as far as Momentum's here locally. Dealer seems to get one or two 385's in and that's about it. We went to look at one and it had already sold and left the lot and no 2015's available in the 385. There are some 385's near Dallas and in Louisiana though so not far away and I'm willing to travel for the right price.

What really got me looking Grand Designs was talking to several owners at a Grand Designs rally in Tennessee back in June. We just happened to be staying at Anchor Down RV Resort while they were there. We talked to quite a few owners of Momentum's and Solitudes and all very extremely happy with their customer service. I think everyone we talked to had owned previous 5th wheels also. It wasn't the fact they were perfectly built and didn't have any issues but the way the issues were handled was what set Grand Designs apart. Plus, we really like the floor plans but there are a couple of things we'd prefer differently like every other brand we've looked at.

We will look at Jayco, XLR, and Tesla also. We are not in a hurry and want to make sure we get exactly what we want this time though we were very happy with our previous Fuzion. I just wanted more room, rear half bath, auto level, and a fireplace.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:00 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think you're right to shop for post-sale experiences. I've owned Jayco and they're pretty good - even 2nd hand. Keystone (Thor) however has a different reputation, but their units typically are at a lower price point.

I differentiate this from dealer support which is going to vary despite brand name.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:45 PM   #8

C130...Have you looked at the RV Factory Weekend Warrior? I may do a factory tour with my older brother...he's looking at their 4250 I think it is...similar to the Voltage 3970 except you can get the residential fridge and I think he said they will install a Vesta dishwasher too. But from the information and pictures...pretty nice TH
But king bed, W/D in the bedroom...tons of cabinets. Huge living area TV. Access to bunk over the kitchen area from the garage (small door from garage to bunk) 14' garage. 45' over all length. You order what you want. Worth look at I would think.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:30 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Personally, I would stay away from GD. They are currently having HUGE structural issues. Their decision to go double 8k axles instead of triple 7k's is hanging too much frame off the front back back causing excessive flex. Owners are having windows, walls, and front caps crack on brand new units. GD is calling those units back to the factory to have a third axle added and new fender skirts installed. Even though GD is addressing the issue, I wouldn't want a retrofitted brand new rig. I do believe all units now rolling off the line will have triple 7k axles so perhaps they are a safer bet.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:53 AM   #10

They started adding triple axles to the later 2015 models, not sure the exact date. I'm definitely only looking at the triple axle 385TH's. I haven't read anything about it over on the Grand Designs forum though they are like most other manufacturer specific forums; they don't like much negativity about their products.

I'll take a look at the Weekend Warrior, haven't looked at that one.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:38 AM   #11

So glad that I decided to go with the Raptor.👍🏽
Old 08-25-2015, 08:24 AM   #12

We went and looked at the Tesla yesterday and really liked it. So, now it's between the Momentum, XLR, and the Tesla. All three have their plus and minuses. The XLR and Momentum aren't currently available locally in the model we prefer. There is one XLR but it's a 2016 in orange and black full body paint. Cool, but not my color choice in a toy hauler. There are some leftover 2015 XLR' s within a two to four drive we may go look at soon.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:27 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
I would order and get EXACTLY what you want. This is a big purchase and buying off the lot was not an option for us. Plus there are so many new features added mid year that ordering will likely get you more as the trailer will have all the most recent updates/upgrades.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
They started adding triple axles to the later 2015 models, not sure the exact date. I'm definitely only looking at the triple axle 385TH's. I haven't read anything about it over on the Grand Designs forum though they are like most other manufacturer specific forums; they don't like much negativity about their products.

I'll take a look at the Weekend Warrior, haven't looked at that one.
I would agree. After many serious problems with my 2014 Momentum, main AC died with less than 25 hours on it and a few months of use. Grand Design refused to even return email or phone call about it.
After answering questions of my experiences to a prospective GD purchaser honestly. They rejected my paid for membership. Of course they kept the membership fees.
GD website is somehow tightly controlled by GD. Pro Grand Design owners are rewarded with extra warranty and services.
The owners who go to rally's get free service and repairs rearguard less of age or warranty.