Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:10 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
GVWR and axle capacity

So looking at toy haulers yesterday, we were looking at a Keystone Carbon 327. The sales guy points out the GVWR indicating how much stuff it could hold... I then asked about the indicated axle capacity.. He immediately said, "that axle capacity is a misprint, they're $8k axles".

GVWR was 16.5k
Axles (2-axle) were 7k each

Here's a look a a similar keystone: http://images.traderonline.com/img/3...mb_770x574.jpg

So I immediately pointed out the "misprint" on the axles too. That seemed to stump him...

Here's another one that seems to weigh in OVER axle capacity empty:
2013 Keystone RV Fuzion 375 Toy Hauler | All Stars RV | Dealer for Motorhome Service or Find Cargo and Horse Trailers For Sale

I don't understand:
1) How you can manufacture a trailer that's over allowed rating of the axles empty.
2) How you can provide a max gross weight that is significant excess of the axle capacity...

Or am I missing something?

Edit: pin weight!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2015, 08:17 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
How much weight on the hitch? That would subtract weight from the axle.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:27 PM   #3

I find it interesting that the dealer gave a bs answer when he should have known to account for the pin weight.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:20 PM   #4

For sure, I'd switch to a different dealer.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:49 AM   #5

Salesman is dumb, obviously.

But, not all your weight is on the axles. You have weight resting on the landing legs and pin box.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:04 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by F350TH View Post
For sure, I'd switch to a different dealer.
For a different sales guy? That's hardly the worst mistake a sales guy has made... Had he said the axles were misprinted, then I probably would have walked...

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-29-2015, 11:16 AM   #7

My concern with a salesperson not knowing something that basic is after the sales support. Maybe it's nothing, but that's me. I want knowledgeable help so if I have a problem a salesperson can go to bat for me and know what he's talking about.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:33 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F350TH View Post
My concern with a salesperson not knowing something that basic is after the sales support. Maybe it's nothing, but that's me. I want knowledgeable help so if I have a problem a salesperson can go to bat for me and know what he's talking about.

Absolutely. It's hard for a salesman to know more about a product than me when I'm obsessed about buying something. But, our XLR guy was on top of his game and had a direct line to the factory and got any questions answered (before and after the sale) within 10 minutes.