RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:16 AM   #1

Half Ton tow vehicle

Looking for a toy hauler to carry one Harley Ultra that weighs about 900 lbs. Currently have a half ton Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 with tow pkg and 9100 lbs tow rating. Is there anything towable with a half-ton that's decent quality? We love the layout of the MPG 2700, but the reviews are awful.
We can upgrade the truck, but only as a last resort. Suggestions? Anyone have an MPG that hasn't been a nightmare?

ross1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2019, 06:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross1975 View Post
Looking for a toy hauler to carry one Harley Ultra that weighs about 900 lbs. Currently have a half ton Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 with tow pkg and 9100 lbs tow rating. Is there anything towable with a half-ton that's decent quality? We love the layout of the MPG 2700, but the reviews are awful.
We can upgrade the truck, but only as a last resort. Suggestions? Anyone have an MPG that hasn't been a nightmare?
We were very happy with our Freedom Express Blast 17BLSE. Quality was good on ours, and it did fine with our Harley onboard.

Here's a vid showing us camping with it and the bike.

KM Rolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:19 PM   #3

Just looked at the specs on the MPG 2700.

Looks like too much trailer for your truck. If you want something that size/weight in a trailer, I think you will be unhappy with the towing experience unless you get a truck that is not at the ragged edge (or over the edge) capacity/wheelbase/axle rating wise. Dunno what kind of powerplant you have.
KM Rolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:50 PM   #4

Honestly, the odds of finding a good quality toy hauler that's half ton towable is extremely low. There are some you can find that are within a half ton's specs, but it will be a horrible towing experience. The issue you'll run into is that you need at least 8 feet in the rear for the toys you're going to put in it. That severely limits the living space, or requires very cheap fold down furniture in the rear. They also have to be very very light to meet the 1/2 ton's low tow ratings. Light and high quality don't go together. Light, but large trailers are very hard to tow because they act like parachutes behind the truck.

I really think you should look at upgrading the truck before getting a toy hauler. I know it's not ideal, but a 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickup will handle any toy hauler much better.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:55 PM   #5

Thanks everyone! I think we agree with you all. Now we are looking at used trucks
ross1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:28 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ross,
I tow a Coleman Lantern 25 foot toy hauler with my 2018 half ton ford.

Specs say 5500 empty with a limit of 2000 lbs additional.

With my Valkyrie (850 lbs) in the back it is right at the limit of what I want to tow, even though Ford says it will tow more.

It is probably a good idea to look at a larger truck.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:34 AM   #7

TapaTalk wonít let me post an image. But I picked up a used 2015 LivinLite VRV Quicksilver 7x20 last year. The previous owner had it set up for two Harley Davidson Ultraís for him and his son. They towed it with a 1/2 Ford. Iíve been towing it with my Ford Transit with the 3.5L eco boost, and with ease.

Itís all aluminum (frame, walls, cabinets, panels, etc) and weighs in at 3,780lbs with battery and dual LP tanks.

The also made a 6x15 that will fit one big big. They are pricey compared to regular toy haulers, but with the features it has, it will most likely last much longer because I wonít have to worry about rust, water damage, or corrosion.

I did a lot of digging and talking to owners before purchasing. New they were around $35/37k. I picked up my used one for half of that. Whatís better is that the older models seem to be built better. After 2016 they started replacing the aluminum edging and corners with all plastic. They made the cabinets and doors smaller sand other corner-cutting ideas to save them build cost. So, if you end up looking for one, keep that in mind. Also, Iíve heard rumors of them discontinuing their aluminum toy hauler line. Iím not sure how true that is.

Another company makes some aluminum toy haulers. Aluminum Trailer Company (ATC trailers). But, I think theyíre smallest is a 8.5x20 and Iíve heard itís a little bit more of a load.

Good luck!
michdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross1975 View Post

is that 9100 lb tow rating on the bumper or fifthwheel? usually that limit jumps a little on fivers and they do tow easier imo. there are quite a few small fifthwheel toyhaulers that are claimed 1/2 ton towable. in the end i would agree that going 2500 or 3500 would be best. imo for the money and knowing ride is really no diff between 2500 and 3500 i would just go 3500 and know your well set.
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM Rolling View Post
We were very happy with our Freedom Express Blast 17BLSE. Quality was good on ours, and it did fine with our Harley onboard.

Here's a vid showing us camping with it and the bike.

nice video
Old 11-09-2019, 07:16 AM   #10

6994 lbs empty and i believe a 4k ccc https://www.paulsherryrvs.com/rv/piq...ck+label+255rr

https://youtu.be/7T42LFV7cmA
Old 11-09-2019, 07:17 AM   #11

tin sided is only 6636 lbs empty https://www.paulsherryrvs.com/rv/piq...cherokee+255rr

Tags
tow