Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:28 PM   #1

Big time convo on several boards, so why not get one started here?!

There's some talk going on that suggeststhat, at least here in California, there is no limit to a rig's setup weight, even with respect to GVWR's and the such. Myself, I think I've got a pretty good feel for what my rig will do and won't, and even though we've forked out alot of dough to be able to carry a Jeep, we're still not doing it. I don't see any reason, other than wanton disrespect for others on the road, to jeopardize myself, my family or firends, or any of the things I've worked hard to acquire, just for a little fun. There are some things that we can do to minimize the effects legally (and effectively within the weight ability of the TH), but we just haven't got them done yet. Kinda like..."I ain't got that rabies shot, so I'm not gonna go up and try to pet that slobbering, snarling, disease-infested dog just right now".

Sooooo...who's been busted on the weight issue? If you know of someone, invite them to sign up and tell their story! As much as I'd like to limit this to only people who have been personally involved in a weight issue with law enforcement, I do respectfully ask that any posts are limited to actual facts and actual situations- no "well...my brother-in-law is a CHP officer..." or "I know a friend who..."...or "My wife..." In other words, no 3rd/4th person experiences, OK? Thanks!

Sean

p.s. If you're a lurker reading this, and you don't care to sign up and divulge your particular situation, I (we) can respect that. If you want it to be known anonimously, you can always email me @ sean.haney@verizon.net, and I will copy and paste all the details without your identity into the thread. We're looking for bonafide accounts of what is going on out there, and would appreciate knowing your situation.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2006, 08:28 PM   #2

Big time convo on several boards, so why not get one started here?!

There's some talk going on that suggeststhat, at least here in California, there is no limit to a rig's setup weight, even with respect to GVWR's and the such. Myself, I think I've got a pretty good feel for what my rig will do and won't, and even though we've forked out alot of dough to be able to carry a Jeep, we're still not doing it. I don't see any reason, other than wanton disrespect for others on the road, to jeopardize myself, my family or firends, or any of the things I've worked hard to acquire, just for a little fun. There are some things that we can do to minimize the effects legally (and effectively within the weight ability of the TH), but we just haven't got them done yet. Kinda like..."I ain't got that rabies shot, so I'm not gonna go up and try to pet that slobbering, snarling, disease-infested dog just right now".

Sooooo...who's been busted on the weight issue? If you know of someone, invite them to sign up and tell their story! As much as I'd like to limit this to only people who have been personally involved in a weight issue with law enforcement, I do respectfully ask that any posts are limited to actual facts and actual situations- no "well...my brother-in-law is a CHP officer..." or "I know a friend who..."...or "My wife..." In other words, no 3rd/4th person experiences, OK? Thanks!

Sean

p.s. If you're a lurker reading this, and you don't care to sign up and divulge your particular situation, I (we) can respect that. If you want it to be known anonimously, you can always email me @ sean.haney@verizon.net, and I will copy and paste all the details without your identity into the thread. We're looking for bonafide accounts of what is going on out there, and would appreciate knowing your situation.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:43 PM   #3

A rhino eliminates a jeep weight problem That is weight related!
Kidding aside, I work every year with a chp motor saftey officer, truck and van, unit. They come to inspect our busses. I'll call him tomrrow and see what he has to say!
Old 09-07-2006, 09:07 PM   #4

Sean if you don't mind I would like to add Length to this question. I am 68 feet long and legally I am only allowed to be 65 feet. So far so good any one else?
Old 09-07-2006, 09:23 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I've never seen or heard of anyone being stopped for any of the above things. I have towed double with a jeep behind the fifth at a length of 78 ft in Okla, Texas, NM, and CO and never been looked at twice. Thats my only experience.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:28 PM   #6

Your allowed 75'towing double here as long as the trailers are no longer than 28'
Old 09-07-2006, 10:17 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Yeah, but that is only if you have specific license, here, we don't need any. whoops, I forgot, my trailer is 38 ft too.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:27 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Socal camper:
Sean if you don't mind I would like to add Length to this question. I am 68 feet long and legally I am only allowed to be 65 feet. So far so good any one else? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awwwwhhhh...alright...but only if you PERSONALLY have been stopped and jailed. That'd be one heck of a story, and we'll allow it.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:31 PM   #9

Sean,

Seeing the rigs rolling down the freeways here makes me think that the CHP is ignoring stopping people unless there are speeding or grossly over weight. I see many rigs on the 14 freeway that are overloaded or to big for the tow vehicles every day. I never see any of them pulled over. I saw yesterday something I couldn't believe. On the 405 heading north up the Sepulveda pass was a 30' sailboat being pulled by a Jaguar XJ6 sedan. I had my camera but could not get turned around to get the picture. First things first, who in their right mind would even hook a trailer hitch onto that car in the first place. They should be shot. And then there was the idiot who was driving the car, obviously he had no regard for anyones life he encountered on the freeway, let alone anyone in the car with him. Now if the CHP didn't pull that rig over, then I would say there is no way they are going to pull over any rig being towed by a truck, even if the trailer is way too big for the tow vehicle.

All I know is that I am legal anywhere I go now, and if sometime in the future I do get pulled over and weighted, the money I spent buying a Tow Boss was well worth it.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:03 PM   #10

Ok, Talked to chp today. He stated it is not illegal to exceed gvwr on a tow vehicle. Only thing they can write you up for in ca is exceeding 20k lbs per axle, not going to happen in our case, And exceeding the tire capacity.

However, he said your civil liability would be the thing to be concerned with if involved in a accident.

65' tip to tip for length unless, you have two trailers not exceeding 28'6" each you are then allowed 75' with a class A lic with doubles endorsement.

Far as I'm concerned, lipstick is on the pig! Let's eat!

Bye the way, HAPPY B-DAY 2BLUE !!!! We'll celebrate at rasor proper!
Old 09-08-2006, 05:19 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Socal camper:
Sean if you don't mind I would like to add Length to this question. I am 68 feet long and legally I am only allowed to be 65 feet. So far so good any one else? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My rig was about 68 feet total. It was illegal but no problems driving up and down the freeway in California. Always breathed a sigh of relief going into Nevada. Speed limit and length limits change.

Oh yeah, I've definately heard of people getting in trouble for being over 65. I think as long as you drive safely I wouldn't worry about it.

04 WW SLC3505 For Sale
brianzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 05:23 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">However, he said your civil liability would be the thing to be concerned with if involved in a accident.

Bye the way, HAPPY B-DAY 2BLUE !!!! We'll celebrate at rasor proper! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure in any accident you are going to have civil liability regardless. I'm kinda of getting tired of this whole weight thing. But i did learn a lot.

Hey Buford, you gonna make it past 10:00 pm at Rasor?

04 WW SLC3505 For Sale
brianzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:12 PM   #13

Man, I'm sure hoping so! I'm going to start training this week. Read an article about some ancient band of mexican indians. They party like rockstars. Said you just have to run 15 to 20 miles a day and drink some special corn mash soup type stuff.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:45 PM   #14

HERE is a little info on them. I've got the second to last paragraph figured out, now I just have to get into shape!