Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2019, 09:01 AM   #1

Has anyone considered this option instead of buying a TH?

I was thinking, why not sell my pick up truck (2018 Ram) keep my travel trailer (20' Micro Minnie) and buy a Sprinter/MB van. I could haul the quad/golf cart in the tow vehicle and still have the same basic benefits of a stand alone TH.

Anyone done this or am I missing something with this ?

My current set up along with the toys I want to haul (one or the other, haven't decided yet)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1610.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	238383   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1888.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	238384  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2218.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	433.6 KB
ID:	238385  
raggdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2019, 09:50 AM   #2

How wide is the quad,,,the golf cart?

Between wheel wheels......128cm (50")
Between side walls...........152cm (60")

Tradition TH....toys stored INSIDE while using tow vehicle to run errands etc

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:33 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
You're talking about losing a few bucks by swapping a couple late model vehicles ...... a 2018 Ram for a new Sprinter,

and, ... generally speaking, the lower end tow capacity of the truck is approximately the higher end tow capacity of the sprinter.
What am I missing ?
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:48 AM   #4

So, fitting inside is a consideration, but they fit in a pick up so i assume they will fit in a Sprinter.

I never considered there would be a difference in towing capacity. Good to know. Glad i bought the Minnie for it's light weight, only 3800 #'s from the factory dry...
Old 03-17-2019, 01:08 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
A dry Minnie 'at 3800' is probably closer to 4000+ .... but then add your water, soda, food, tools, dogs, ... and I'm not going to look up the towing capacity of a Sprinter, but I bet your wet Minnie is now at 5500, and that might be over the limit of the van.
In my last toyhauler I had 100+ gallon water tank and 25 gallon gas tank, and THEN I started packing the interior.
Heavy is easy to get to.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 04:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDog View Post
A dry Minnie 'at 3800' is probably closer to 4000+ .... but then add your water, soda, food, tools, dogs, ... and I'm not going to look up the towing capacity of a Sprinter, but I bet your wet Minnie is now at 5500, and that might be over the limit of the van.
In my last toyhauler I had 100+ gallon water tank and 25 gallon gas tank, and THEN I started packing the interior.
Heavy is easy to get to.
A Sprinter can tow up to 7500#, properly equipped...
Old 03-17-2019, 05:19 PM   #7

Most likely you would have to disconnect the trailer to get your toy out of the van. This may or may not be a big issue. If you were only staying for a short period, it would be more convenient to just drop the rear gate on a toy hauler.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Most likely you would have to disconnect the trailer to get your toy out of the van. This may or may not be a big issue. If you were only staying for a short period, it would be more convenient to just drop the rear gate on a toy hauler.
That wouldn't be an issue but thanks anyways. Just noticed your from Muskoka. Small world, that's where I live too. Huntsville to be exact
Old 03-18-2019, 03:38 PM   #9

I too live in Huntsville. Very small world.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:42 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I love my Diamondback truck bed cover for hauling my Quad. Very well made, works like a dream. I don't golf so I can't speak to putting a golf cart up there.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I love my Diamondback truck bed cover for hauling my Quad. Very well made, works like a dream. I don't golf so I can't speak to putting a golf cart up there.
You don't have to golf to own a golf cart. They are like a quad, just more grass and campground friendly.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
The Diamondback cover would be a great solution and I'm seriously considering it.

The downside is cost, they are only sold direct by the mfg, and I'm here is Canada. With freight and exchange I'd be looking at almost 3K...YIKES!!!
Old 03-26-2019, 09:13 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Probably cheaper than selling your new pickup, taking a depreciation hit and then buying a new van. I have been very impressed with the Diamondback quality.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:46 PM   #14

It kind of seems backwards to me. If you are willing to drive a sprinter van, I think a class B with living quarters while towing a utility trailer makes more sense. Or upgrading to a bigger toy hauler. But I would much rather drive a pickup than a van so take my opinion for what it’s worth.
Raider47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying