Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2017, 09:57 AM   #1

Haul'n around a 45fter... and tagged as a "bad rap!"

This happened out in Texas while getting our kicks on Route 66!

So I had asked permission inside (Conoco Tower) to park there while we purchased up some Rte 66 souvenirs. The very kind lady inside said "oh no problem, you won't fit anywhere else hunny!". On cash-out, I had left my wallet in my truck, so out i went and I stumbled upon an elderly gentleman wandering around my rig. He wandered over to my drivers side door as I was leaning in retrieving my funds...

Him: blluubba hubba blubba mumba....
Me: (after I said "excuse me?) "Sorry, I couldn't understand a word you said?"
Him: "You know, they should make you people get commercial licences to drive these things!"
Him" (before i could get a word in) Youz RVers are the worst drivers in the world. Gawd awefull I tell ya!"
Me: "Well sir, I actually do have a CDL, I've driven trucks since I was 20 years old!
Him: "Then why in hell would ya park like that, then?"
Me: (got interrupted again with his deep texan accent)
Him: "I don't believe a word yuz say'n anyways" (throws his hand and arm up in the air in disgust!)
Me: (I open my wallet that I just got out of my truck) "Here ya go sir, my CDL"
Him: "hmmmm" (no real words, just mumbled as he walked away).

Lesson here?; well I guess we have a great reputation out there!? lol... No, I know what he means kinda. It was just kinda funny to extinguish his flames before he even could even light a big-ass texan match!.

Cheers!
Top_Speed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2017, 10:07 AM   #2

Probably just married more than ten years. Thoughts just join together until your told what to do.
What?
Old 08-16-2017, 05:50 PM   #3

Probably a local crazy
SWO Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:00 PM   #4

I guess it takes all types. We are new to the forum and this is new to me. So, probably not doing all the right things yet (in posting). We don't have a toy hauler yet, but are looking a Grand Designs Momentum and XLR 415 AMP. Since you have a new XLR, if you don't mind, giving me some pointers on why XLR vs. others on the market. I have read both good and bad on Forest River/XLR, but also the same on many other brands. We are soon retiring and have always wanted to be able to take the time to get out on the open road and enjoy the rv experience.
runner6608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:24 PM   #5

It's gets even better when your rig looks like this....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0802171725b.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	173597  
Old 08-20-2017, 07:28 AM   #6

If he wasn't a local crazy he was probably envious .... That is a sweat rig!
Porkchop401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:06 AM   #7

Thanks guys, and I (at the time) was thinking he's a local crazy or just has a bitch with us big rig towers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
Probably just married more than ten years. Thoughts just join together until your told what to do.
What?
Now this is just dang funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner6608 View Post
I guess it takes all types. We are new to the forum and this is new to me. So, probably not doing all the right things yet (in posting). We don't have a toy hauler yet, but are looking a Grand Designs Momentum and XLR 415 AMP. Since you have a new XLR, if you don't mind, giving me some pointers on why XLR vs. others on the market. I have read both good and bad on Forest River/XLR, but also the same on many other brands. We are soon retiring and have always wanted to be able to take the time to get out on the open road and enjoy the rv experience.
Well, we could start an entire thread on this, which there are already several here {this forum}. But like ALL Rv's/toy haulers etc, there's always a gripe here or there, you just have to go with the one that has the least amount of gripes and in your main concerning area's!

Foot note; The Grand Design Momentum and Jayco Seismec were our other 2 'finalist'... when we were placing our order. The ole saying goes; "If I could only choose this from A company, and that from B company (and so on) I would have my ultimate unit!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
It's gets even better when your rig looks like this....
I came close to going this route with a Freightliner! Very very nice!

Wifey nixed my idea once she sat in the message seats of the Ultimate. Yep, she rules!
Old 11-28-2017, 12:48 AM   #8

My 44’ XLR toy hauler pulls and handles just fine with my 2500 HD Duramax, why such big towing vehicles?
I do have a lead foot but she has had to stop pretty fast with no problem. Last truck was a ford 460 .
Ford wouldn’t deal with me on a new one so switched.
U-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:56 AM   #9

Mine is the 415 xlr
After you buy it , get it away from Rv dealers . Have someone that takes a little pride in their work and common sense to correct all the issues.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-me View Post
My 44’ XLR toy hauler pulls and handles just fine with my 2500 HD Duramax, why such big towing vehicles?
I do have a lead foot but she has had to stop pretty fast with no problem. Last truck was a ford 460 .
Ford wouldn’t deal with me on a new one so switched.
The dually for me was my biggest upgrade, made a big difference in my comfort towing. I'm also now legal on my weights, I wasn't before with my 2014 GMC Denali HD2500. Some here care about this, some don't. Nuff said!

Wish I had the larger brake rotors that the F450 has, but I wanted the 3.55 gear ratio more; and only available in the F350.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Speed1 View Post

The dually for me was my biggest upgrade, made a big difference in my comfort towing. I'm also now legal on my weights, I wasn't before with my 2014 GMC Denali HD2500. Some here care about this, some don't. Nuff said!

Wish I had the larger brake rotors that the F450 has, but I wanted the 3.55 gear ratio more; and only available in the F350.

To bad YOU were over weight,
Old 12-15-2017, 08:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-me View Post
To bad YOU were over weight,
I did really like my Denali/Duramax truck, but this new Ford is so much more hi-tech, and as said, that no wiggle, tug or sway while pulling is priceless.