Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-08-2005, 07:36 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Now that we got that genuine wood cutting board (!!) finally in our rigs (you're right about that one '56!!),
have us toyhaulers moved into the real-world of RV's seemingly overnight or what??

It just wasn't all that many years ago that the toyhaulers consisted of a handful of tiedowns on the floor and a pull down bed that FELL down whenever we drove anywhere and a leaky sink over in the corner somewhere.

Now we got these:
'moodlights',
'real wood carving boards',
'graphics all over the windows that you can't see out of' (well strike that one),
and a 'laundry chute'.!!
Fancy stuff all over the place !

Other then the fact that WW still can't label the breakers or fuses correctly, we are all starting to feel like regular RV's.
Poopin' in tall cotton, (thank you Sean).

IN FACT!! Sean even welds himself French Doors into the back of every rig he gets!! (Take a look at his avatar). (Don't be gettin' too fancy on us now Hoss! )
And you got '56Nomad who puts in a darn winerack, and the lining of that rack even has grapes for its design!!

And the big talk in our ToyHauler Land these days is all about putting edging on the carpets, and our designer sheets, and the leather trim, ....

Gentlemen and Ladies,
Maybe our day in the Sun has finally come!!!
We're turning into regular folk in the RV world. We have changed

Anyone else's rig getting the extra fine treatment? I know Rhonda picked up her new rig yesterday. Maybe she's doing a little high-steppin' too. No doubt.

Maybe I've missed mentioning some of the fancy touches our WarWagons (!!) are getting

Mike

FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2005, 07:36 AM   #2

Now that we got that genuine wood cutting board (!!) finally in our rigs (you're right about that one '56!!),
have us toyhaulers moved into the real-world of RV's seemingly overnight or what??

It just wasn't all that many years ago that the toyhaulers consisted of a handful of tiedowns on the floor and a pull down bed that FELL down whenever we drove anywhere and a leaky sink over in the corner somewhere.

Now we got these:
'moodlights',
'real wood carving boards',
'graphics all over the windows that you can't see out of' (well strike that one),
and a 'laundry chute'.!!
Fancy stuff all over the place !

Other then the fact that WW still can't label the breakers or fuses correctly, we are all starting to feel like regular RV's.
Poopin' in tall cotton, (thank you Sean).

IN FACT!! Sean even welds himself French Doors into the back of every rig he gets!! (Take a look at his avatar). (Don't be gettin' too fancy on us now Hoss! )
And you got '56Nomad who puts in a darn winerack, and the lining of that rack even has grapes for its design!!

And the big talk in our ToyHauler Land these days is all about putting edging on the carpets, and our designer sheets, and the leather trim, ....

Gentlemen and Ladies,
Maybe our day in the Sun has finally come!!!
We're turning into regular folk in the RV world. We have changed

Anyone else's rig getting the extra fine treatment? I know Rhonda picked up her new rig yesterday. Maybe she's doing a little high-steppin' too. No doubt.

Maybe I've missed mentioning some of the fancy touches our WarWagons (!!) are getting

Mike

Old 05-08-2005, 09:27 AM   #3

Don't forget the water filter faucet next to the kitchen sink......

Or the fancy pump for the liquid hand soap in the
master bedroom sink
Old 05-08-2005, 09:56 AM   #4

Mike,

You are right, toyhaulers are moving up in the RV world. When I think about my first WW, a 1994 20' Superlite, it was in ways very arcayic (sp) and very modern. It was truely a "Box on wheels" as the people of WW called it. Yes we could haul our buggy and quads like a flat trailer, but we could also toss everything outside, fold down the couch and bed, and feel like we were livin the high life.

That first trailer had such small holding tanks, a all-in-one bath, toilet and shower in the same enclosure, very small refrigerator, no electronics (microwave, stereo, T.V.), and not the greatest insulation. But comparing it to sleeping in a tent and using the pit toilets in the campgrounds, we felt like we were living in a mansion.

Then we went up to the Nomad, only because the people selling WW's at the time were clueless at keeping good customers, we felt we really moved up in the world because we now had electronics, a seperate shower and toilet, and 2 bedrooms!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!

One thing I will stand up for the Skyline brand that makes Nomads and now the Rampage, they were way ahead in the modernization game. We had dual picture windows with swivel rockers, larger holding tanks, and the little things like wood cutting boards in our 2000 trailer before the other companies starting using them. When we got the Nomad, the other companies that were making TH's would not do the windows and did not have the interior space and ceiling height (we had 7' inside) that the Nomad did.

Now we have gone to the dark side, a non TH'er. We decided that for us we wanted a little more luxury with camping. We both really love our new Alfa, it is like pulling a small condo behind us. It "feels" like home, its very roomy inside and has all the amenities and comforts of a stick house. We had 11 people inside eating dinner, playing poker, with room to spare and the bed room feels just like that, a bed room.

We looked at the Alfa toyhouse, it is set up just as nice as our live in, and it has a garage as well. We really though about getting one, but we wanted a trailer that we could get into National Parks today without problems. The Alfa TH is just to big for that type of camping at 40'. We did not want to be excluded from staying someplace just because the trailer was to big. But as for luxury and comfort, it is as nice as any moderate to high dollar trailer on the market.

And now WW and Raptor and a few others have stepped up with new big beautiful TH'ers that come equiped standard with things we could only dream about 10 years ago. Where we were looked down upon as lowly toyboxers 10 years ago, now we have people coming to us with interest and questions. Two years ago on this very forum, we were lucky to even get our own column to talk to each other. Now look at it, it's one of the most active columns here and on the other RV sites.

I still address myself as a TH'er even though I've got to the dark side. I will always consider myself one, because I was on the ground floor when they first came out. I used to show my trailer everywhere I went, it was funny watching peoples reactions, both good and bad.

So yes Mike, 56, Sandy, Sean, and all of you other good people on this forum, you are now "pooping in the tall cotton" today.

As the old TV comercial used to say, "We've come a long way baby".

And I will be going to Dove Springs this friday to FINALLY meet you all, even though it will be only for the day. I am really looking forward to it.

Have a good week everyone, travel safe to those going to Dove Springs, and "Happy Mothers Day" to all the moms out there.

E-mail me with you cell number and if anyone has a question about directions or if they have a problem and need assistance, I will be home Wed - Friday.

Clark

rbfdclark@aol.com

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 12:41 PM   #5

'56,
that water purifer faucet is more of a 'fancy' then anything i mentioned in my initial post in this thread. I had forgotten that.

and Clark,
i know that are are ToyHauler from the initial days. You are a true RV'r, and will always be a ToyHauler at heart. (And I am convinced that eventually you will have a 'hauler again. ) And because you have been into toyhaulers, and RV's in general, for so long, you are now in an Alfa. You are just checking everything out, and are into the luxory end right now. And by the way, Congratulations! again on that Alfa by the way.
And your recollections on the first toyhaulers are right on. They had most of the absolute necessary components, but those were not arranged in a manner that made them really user friendly. Funny how things have progressed ehhh???
Great to hear that we'll see you at the end of next week.

So not only have the manufacturers started getting the 'haulers into the modern RV world with the living arrangements, but the toyhauler owners are also starting to insist upon it, and also upgrading the trailers themselves with their own personnal touches.

I wonder who else has personalized their 'haulers with some real-world touches

Mike
Old 05-08-2005, 03:09 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FatDog:
'56,
that water purifer faucet is more of a 'fancy' then anything i mentioned in my initial post in this thread. I had forgotten that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike.... I think one of the better upgrades is the
huge porcelain toilet. It's nicer than the crapper
in the house
Old 05-08-2005, 03:22 PM   #7

Oh yes we have, and I LOVE every minute of it!! Funny you should mention all this. I remember almost 3 years ago when we got our little Jayco Talon Tag along toy hauler. Back then, we had to go through 5 dealerships to find a salesman or dealer that even knew what one WAS, much less have one in stock! I had to scan the internet endlessly and to even find one near us, and that was 3 hours away!!

We bought that one, and nice as it was (it was plain jane really) we began to long for finer things once we saw what regular TTS and 5th Wheels looked like. My gosh, the regular ones even had surround sound for gosh sake! WE didn't!! Oh, so now our insatiatable thirst began for the one toy hauler (if it even existed) that would be functional, yet beautiful on the inside...you know, like the regular things. We finally found that in a K-Z Sportster and since there were none around here, we drove 16 hours one way to get it.

Since that time, toyhaulers have become even more popular and nicer and rival even the best regular 5th wheels and TTs. ALL the dealers know what they are now, and most carry at least one brand of toyhauler. Heck...the salesman most of the time even now know a little something about them and can talk to you like they do instead of that deer in the headlight look.

Ahhhh....yes, we've come a long way. I just KNEW toy haulers could be functional as well as having all the fancy doo dads you could ever want. I just KNEW it...and they have!

Yeah, we've become too big for our britches, but gosh, ain't it FUN! You know, secretly, I kinda think we have even more fun that regular RVers...we got toys in the back!!

Rhonda in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 03:39 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">ALL the dealers know what they are now, and most carry at least one brand of toyhauler. Heck...the salesman most of the time even now know a little something about them and can talk to you like they do instead of that deer in the headlight look. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it IS amazing that not only did the salesguys not know too much about them in years past, but they even seemed to find the subject humorous.
But a lot of them are studying up now, but i still have concerns about buying a model i am not real familiar with from a dealer who doesn't use it a lot himself.
A lot of the SoCal dealers are staffed with riders and they can be valuable sources of real world info on the options or trailer stucture itself. That could be the same everywhere by now though.

(and one more Congrats! Rhonda)

Mike
Old 05-09-2005, 09:15 AM   #9

Hey don't forget about the custom outdoor sound system I put in mine. The stock outdoor set up was just not gonna work as I personally think they sound like crap. Now I have a crystal clear sounding set-up out doors that I can move and position the speakers where ever I want them.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:27 PM   #10

FR:

Gotta see that, but I got to tell ya...my 95 (soon to be my 06) has a 2000w system on the outside, and if I brought ALL of equip, I'd be about 4800w, which now that I'm retired at doing my DJ stuff (ok...kinda), kills me to have to load and unload. But will do for the real aficianos...

But I agrre...I took one look at the stock sys, and had to spit. Nice attempt, though!
Old 05-09-2005, 09:31 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 56Nomad:

Mike.... I think one of the better upgrades is the
huge porcelain toilet. It's nicer than the crapper
in the house </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

56:

10-4 on that! No more bending over to, not only sample just what you dished out, but to watch what direction the water flows! I've been wanten to change out ours for quite some time!

Oh well...I guess 56 is sttlin right now...and ditos to all who are the TH gang! We got some rigs right now that really do knock the socks off of some...and bringin the toys just is the icing on the cake.

Sean