Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2005, 07:18 AM   #15

Once you get a wiff of the big iron, it's pretty tough to go back .Welcome to the dark side WWFan, the force is definatly with us.
Cheers
Bear
2000 Volvo 660 425hp 1550ft/lbs torque, 15 speed. 2006 Canadian Sport 385 RLTS (40'10") triple slide 5'er, Trailair pinbox, Onan 5500 Marquis Platnum, 300 watts solar, 3000 watt inverter, 2003 Harley Davidson Road King. 3 Polaris Sportsman quads, 94
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2005, 11:27 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Sean

Here's a link to what I was talking about.

RV Pakker

This would be the cats meow!
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:50 AM   #17

Boy Tom:

Darn tootin' it would! Man...that one pic of the HDT turned- that is close!

So far I haven't been able to get Moski to warm up anywhere near freezing on the idea...gotta get her into one, and I'm working on it!!

Thanks!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 10:02 PM   #18

Sean, come on over and take a ride in mine. If you got the shifting down, maybe a little behind the wheel time would be possible too. You know that the invitation is open, but you need to do it soon. It's going in for it's bed in a couple weeks.

Garth
Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 05:42 AM   #19

Garth:

I sure do appreciate the offer! And your rig is the one I'd want Moski to see right off the bat.

I've printed off the thread you so eloquently explained the HDT world in (off the alternate channel), so she can read it. I think it's the perfect primer because, for one, you start off neutral in stating it's not for everyone, but really give a layman's synopsis of what to do and how to do it. In fact, Here's the thread for others to take a look at.

Thanks again!

Sean
Old 01-06-2006, 01:42 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Sean, did you see that 99 Volvo on the alt forum? Sure looks good in the picture and low miles too. Didn't say if that 10 speed was auto or not. Almost thought about jumping on that but can't make up my mind. The are some negatives to using one and a lot of our usage right now is not the best for it. Kind of on the fence, sure would be nice down the highway but campgrounds could be a problem and I would have to have the longest wheelbase and leave the tandems in place to do what I would like to do. Ah, decisions, decisions!
Old 01-06-2006, 01:53 PM   #21

Get one. You won't regret it. Once you get one there will be no looking back. Just alot of people looking up at you. These things are tall.

2006 Rampage 370 Toyhauler
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:14 PM   #22

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lacofdfireman:
Get one. You won't regret it. Once you get one there will be no looking back. Just alot of people looking up at you. These things are tall. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Talkin' like a true HDT'er. Hey Dave, you need to change your sig line. That "HDT" needs to be replaced with "MH" since that's what it is now, right?

Garth
Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 06:28 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Can I talk for Sean:

"You guy's are killing me. I'd give anything for one of these. Moski would kill me."

Now that I said that, you guy's are right. I'd love to have one to pull my toyhauler but I can't justify one yet for the way we use our rig. The old one ton D/A will do the job for now and I am within the ratings except for the combined ratings which I am over....so, I'll keep thinking but I also think that Sean is in need of one just for the weight he's carrying, not to mention I think he needs one.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:17 PM   #24

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vette Racer:
Sean, did you see that 99 Volvo on the alt forum? Sure looks good in the picture and low miles too. Didn't say if that 10 speed was auto or not. Almost thought about jumping on that but can't make up my mind. The are some negatives to using one and a lot of our usage right now is not the best for it. Kind of on the fence, sure would be nice down the highway but campgrounds could be a problem and I would have to have the longest wheelbase and leave the tandems in place to do what I would like to do. Ah, decisions, decisions! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alright, alright. alright...sounds like I need to call ya and get the juices flowin. Yeah...I saw it, then it was gone. But I'm not yet in the place where I can just throw some $$$ at it on a whim. But good news...Moski actually let me talk to her again a bunch tonight about HDT's- seems the current wave is helping my cause!

Hey...I'll try to remember to give you a landline yack tomorrow, OK?

Sean
Old 01-06-2006, 08:19 PM   #25

Oh...Garth- geezzz...been trying to butter up the misses before you go on your year-long trip, but may have to catch ya on the flip-flop...hopefully with a HDT! You've been absolutely great- hope to meet you some time soon...happy 2006 travels!

Sean
Old 01-10-2006, 01:40 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Hey Sean, I've been thinking, yeah, I know, it could be dangerous.

I noticed some trucks on truck paper that are long wheelbase and have van boxes on them. Most of them are freightliners but they have the big engines, autoshift or automatic, full class 8, air ride with all the trimmings, including sleepers. Picture this, with the long wheelbase (270-280") you could put on a flatbed long enough for the jeep and still have the hitch at the end of the bed without hanging out too far. Most of them have fewer miles, I've been looking at ones under 500K, a lot around 350k with warranty left. Their price is a little higher but if you could deal with them keeping the box you'd be good to go. Whatcha think?
Old 01-10-2006, 05:28 PM   #27

Tom:

One of the things you'll want to watch out for: not knowing exactly which truck you've looked at, but the typical long wheelbase trucks- especialy if they have a van box on them (FedEx Criticals are an exception), even if a Class 8, are local/LTL trucks, and their use does not give you the typical 1,000,000 mile "warranty" that many talk about, compared to the OTR trucks. So you'll want to to cognizant of their use and the mileage they had (local trucks have a lot of start/stop cycles resulting in limited brake/engine/drivetrain issues). That's why many of the HDT buyers (after learning about them) go after the tandem/sleeper types because they have highway mileage on them and little local use.

That's not to say that a suitable truck as you're talking about won't work for you...it's just a word of caution!

Sean
Old 01-10-2006, 05:35 PM   #28

Hey Sean,
I have a huge canister of salt and thought I'd rub it in for you....
I was over at Daves on Saturday and got to take the new rig for a spin. What a hoot. It's pretty easy to drive and very manueverable. If I had a 5'er, I'd be seriously thinking about getting one. You really need to take a test drive.

2007 Rally site
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote