Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-10-2006, 07:02 PM   #29

Oh...thanks for THAT! Now I gotta go take a shower to get all this slobber off me!

Geeez...with friends like you...

It musta've been a hoot. Dave says I can come up and take a test drive, but I can't use the porto-potty while he's in it- can you imagine the gall he has? What if I need to "tinkle" while we're on the road?

Now you just need to get a 5'vr. Ahhh....c'mon...you can do it!

Sean

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2006, 07:06 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Well, I just thought I'd throw that out there because most of the trucks I've seen do not have a wheelbase long enough to put a flatbed on for hauling a car unless you put a bed way behind the truck. Course, if you want to continue putting everything in the toyhauler then thats another story. Each to their own.

Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 07:44 AM   #31

Anyone know where I can find the picture of the HDT with the Jeep on the back and the 5'er behind it?

Thanks

2007 Rally site
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 08:26 AM   #32

Eric:

Here tis. You sure were close- it's on the 2nd page of this thread...Tom's post.

You thinkin' of getting one and putting a Samuri on the back of it?
Old 01-12-2006, 11:03 AM   #33

Texas Boomers Club
... you don't need a 5th wheel trailer to enjoy the ownership of a Class 7/8 tractor. Check out my Avator.

My $.02

don
Old 01-12-2006, 12:51 PM   #34

Don:

No truer words ever spoken, in fact, I'd even go out on a limb and say you don't even need a TRAILER to enjoy the driving and pure manly-man feeling of a HDT!

Sean
Old 01-12-2006, 02:18 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
On a slightly different note, I wonder what the real life miles is on these engines before you need a inframe rebuild, and, how many before the trans needs rebuilt or replaced.

The reason I ask this is when you look around at the trucking companies, most of them turn their fleet around 500k to 600k and a lot of trucks you see advertised with inframes done have about the same number of miles or just over. I'm wondering if these 1,000,000 mile engines means they get that with one rebuild.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:45 PM   #36

I think it is like most anything you buy. I know guys that have purchased Diesel Ford trucks and have had 3 new transmissions in under 100k miles. Some will go 200k and not need a thing. I think these trucks are the same. I have seen some trucks with inframes at 200k. I can tell you that the trucking company I use to drive for had a truck that had an inframe at just over 100k. This was not due to abuse or anything else just had something go wrong. The reason why most trucking companies sell off there fleet trucks at 500k is for one reason only. MONEY. Not engine wear. A truck with 500k miles will give you almost double your money than one with 750k. Also Engine and transmission warranties on a new truck are for 750k miles. There is a big advantage for them to sell before the original warranty is up. You will notice in truck trader and that most owner operator trucks are the higher mileage trucks. That is because they usually drive them until they are paid off. Takes 5-6 years usually. Then they turn around and trade in or sell and purchase new again. The truck is a good write off for them that is why most O/O's drive new rigs and put ton's of miles on them. I have seen trucks with well over a million miles and no rebuild. I think the higher the mileage the more of a gamble you take. Alot depends also on the type of load the companies haul. Buy a truck from Ashley Furniture fleet you can almost guarantee getting some high mileage. Buy a truck that carries 80k lbs on every load and the engine will be a little more worked.

2006 Rampage 370 Toyhauler
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:38 PM   #37

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:
Eric:

Here tis. You sure were close- it's on the 2nd page of this thread...Tom's post.

You thinkin' of getting one and putting a Samuri on the back of it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Sean.
I wouldn't mind one but it's just not necessary at this time. Actually, Toyhauler Terry was asking about the Jeep on the back.

2007 Rally site
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:22 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Yall keep talking about the "Other" site... Well there is a wealth of info on HDT's on the "Sister Site" to this one.

Mosey over to "The Truck Conversion net" for all kinds of info and folks doing the same as yall are.

Don
Old 01-12-2006, 08:22 PM   #39

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Mosey over to "The Truck Conversion net" for all kinds of info and folks doing the same as yall are.

Don </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don:

Yeap...been there...I believe that's where Bill has some of his conversion stuff, right? However, it's a little on the quiet side. Heck...even the HDT site on SKP's is not what one with a hunkering of rapid dialog would expect. But lots of good ideas. The problem is that this type of discussion is very limited in size- there aren't too many people in this sphere of influence. If you don't mind, we can keep this thread going with some of our off-other-sites convo going just to keep our juices flowing...sound OK?

Eric...ahhhh.... but Terry already GOT his T2k! And as far as I can tell, there are no frames extensions going on. That outta be interesting...maybe he's already ready to sell his KW!! (Plenty of buyers out there Terry, and I wish I was one of them!). Ahhhh...maybe he's just on a fishing expedition.

And to add to Dave's post from Tom's question: there's what they call "B50 Life" on an engine...I'm not quite sure what the "par" is (I'm thinking the 1 million miles), but that means that 50% of the engines will go over the million mile mark, and the other...well...you guessed it. Pursuant to your earlier post, Tom...about the Box Van types...the "par" is prolly more around the 500,000 mark. In any event, that is an excellent question to pose to the "other" site's members. Which BTW...the only thing that site is lacking is the factory types that forums such as TDS have, and they contribute on a regular basis...hummmmm- that sure would be nice.

Anyhow...thanks for putting up with the convo Don!!

Sean
Old 01-12-2006, 09:19 PM   #40

You're right on that B50 rating thing. Just to flesh it out a little bit, it's the mid-point where half the engines are expected to need a rebuild while the other half don't need the rebuild.

The smaller block engines, like my 11 liter Cummins ISM have an 800K B50 rating. The larger blocks, like the ISX/N14, have a 1MM mile B50 rating.

As with anything, if you buy a dog that's been kicked a lot just expect it to bite you when you don't expect it. There's also those dogs that are just born mean and will take a bite out of you the minute you bring it home. It's just the nature of the world. However, if you get a good dog that's been treated well, you can expect it to wag its tail for more miles than you'll ever put on it.

Garth
Garth is offline   Reply With Quote