Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-06-2005, 11:39 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
You've really got to stay on the ball to keep up with everyone around here. You'll never guess who I run across looking at HD trucks on another forum just as I've been doing for awhile. Great minds think alike, eh Sean.

Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2005, 11:39 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
You've really got to stay on the ball to keep up with everyone around here. You'll never guess who I run across looking at HD trucks on another forum just as I've been doing for awhile. Great minds think alike, eh Sean.

Old 12-06-2005, 12:51 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I hope ya'll are looking at Lil' Petes...

Ken
Old 12-08-2005, 04:28 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Na, Just Volvo's and Kenworth's and maybe a freightliner thrown in for general principles. But, the big deal is Sean sneaking off to investigate these on another forum and getting caught.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:45 PM   #5

Sean wouldn't do that

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:49 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Want to bet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted December 03, 2005 11:22 PM
Hi All:

Wow...what a board...so much good info from what seems to be a very educated group! I've thoroughly enjoyed reading the last 4 pages of your threads & posts! Not only do you yak about the HDT world, but it looks like you have a heck of a lot of fun also!

Please allow me to give you a tad of recent events: We bought our 4th RV, (2nd TH), Last June- a '06 Weekend Warrior 40' SLC3905 Toyhauler (we've been RV'ing for about 22 years) . That was because we had bought a ś98 TJ earlier in January and found that a newer WW would be able to carry a Jeep. Well, after tugging it home from the dealer with my 2000 Banks'd F250, I quickly found out we were going to need more truck. So 8 days later, we bought our 2005 F350 DRW TowBoss and have been extremely happy with it- it has everything that Ford puts on a truck, even the moonroof. HOWEVER, the first part of October I decided to take the entire rig to a CatScale, and just about fainted at what the results were: empty TH was 14,460#, and GCVW was 22,860#, with 4200# of pin weight. It's still well within the 26k of GCVWR of the truck, and the drive axle weights are OK, but not even an inkling of the Jeep in the rig, nor water, fuel, or the usual amount of adult beverages. The TowBoss does a beautiful job of pulling the SLC, but we're playing on the fringe, which is something I didn't think we were going to have to do (delivered weight of the SLC was 12,063, but evidently between the four 6v batts, the 2000w stereo system, a 3000w inverter, and other essential items we're toting, they pack some weight!). DW has thoughts that the whole turn of events was just a ploy to get the Warrior, then the KR, and I'm still trying to convince her that we now need airbags for the KR (original śargument' was "oh...this thing won't need airbags"Ł).

Lacofireman posted on another rv forum about his newfound upcoming T2000 and it really caught my eye- I'm really intrigued with the idea of having a TV that I wouldn't have to worry about weights. I also particularly like the idea of having almost four times the torque! But this still does not eliminate one other weight I am concerned about- the SLC- it's stickered at a GVWR of 15k, and WW will re-sticker to 16k, but I really need a GVWR of 18k, which in any event, will require me to change the triaxle wheels & tires from the current 15's to 16's where I can use Load E tires. I don't worry about overloading the TH- the WW's are built well, and it could easily handle what I need it to do right now. Enough about it- I can handle it.

But as I stated, as much as we love our KR, this HDT avenue seems to have a lot of benefits. But I'm wondering about the pitfalls. We will only be pulling within the West (many local trips within 1-2 hours of our home, but then again- we've been as far north as Wyoming and hope to make it that way again soon, and who knows- maybe even farther!), a lot of off-road (hardpack, but 5-6 miles off the beaten path), and the big one: my DW has NO idea I'm even thinking of this right now! The KR is her daily driver, although we have the Jeep she can, and has, used for her 5 mile commute to work in good weather, and she LOVES it. No doubt that I CAN'T have both a HDT and the KR. I suspect from reading a lot of posts here, though, that it takes a while to find śthe right one', so if we were to get a year or so on it, maybe the newness will wear off. From what I can tell right now, it appears from some of your posts you would get better fuel mileage also- we just went to the Cup Race in Phoenix a couple of weeks ago, and I only got 7.5mph's, but I have to admit- my wife had the darn thing loaded for a full 6 days of camping). Also, we're over a decade away from even being able to retire, and really don't see us fulltiming in a RV, but who knows.

I have yet to see or drive a HDT lately (many MANY moons ago I drove some old Petes, basically for fun) but am getting the hots to do so. I also can sense that there's some tricks to being able to sell the salesman on the fact that a buyer knows a bit about them, which could simply mean that a buyers lips move as fast or faster than the salesman's! Of course, knowledge is power, and the guy with the best information świns', so I'm loading my brain gun as much as I can right now.

What are the downfalls? Based on my usage I've given above, it this even worth the thought? What about DMV? Licenses (I know in CA any trailer stickered over 15k the resident driver must have a Non-Comm Class A)? How did you get your spouse to go along with it (what kind of smoke and mirrors did you use and if they worked, where could I get them )? However, she loves the Dually BECAUSE of the height and her ability to see a lot more "goings' on"Ł, so this may be a good way to play into a HDT environment. Also, my only consideration for getting a bunkhouse on one is for the additional seating- we would stay in the TH if it was nighttime and wouldn't sleep in it. But it seems as though many do some mods to make it registerable as a RV and not a commericial vehicle.

Sorry for being longwinded- I just wanted to śsplain as much as I could so you don't have to fire back a whole bunch of questions just to answer mine. I respectfully reserve the right, though, to fire more questions back to you! I'll also promise to not ask anything that has been completely answered prior though! Thanks for your help in advance, and I hope one day to be able to contribute as well as most of you have!

Sean

2005 F350 KingRanch LB CC Tow Boss
2006 Weekend Warrior 40' SLC3905
Old 12-08-2005, 07:52 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I'm Sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Griz, I'm sorry but that is the way it is. Truth and all that. I'll say that I have been following the same forum thinking about upgrading the TV so I could have my cake and eat it too. Just happened to catch Sean and figure it would be a hoot to place him right here along with the rest of us nuts. Welcome Sean!!!
Old 12-08-2005, 08:13 PM   #8

He sure is industrious isn't he? Where you at you sly old fox? You got some Splaining to do!

Don

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:51 PM   #9

Oh for Gawd's sake Tommy Boy!! Dang...I was hopin' that this would be a secret, but now you found me...geeezzzz louise...

Yeap...Dave (lacofdfireman) threw out a thread over on the alternate channel that has me BIG TIME thinking' about it. I haven't told a soul, until the devil, Tom, blurpted it out here...so now my only saving grace is keeping Moski from ever looking at iRV2, which so far, is a sure bet.

Imagine 4 times the torque...what seems to be even a quieter cabin, and you know- I can't park my F350KR in a regular parking spot anyway. And if you do it right, they're about 1/2 the cost of what we paid for our KR...

I'm still in the infancy stages of trying to figure this out- DMV, maint stuff, etc, but it sure seems like a viable solution to NEVER having to worry about any tow issues anymore.

Tom: You caught me off camber buddy, so I guess I'll have to fire up some of those Redneck thread toget back to even, EY?!

Sean
Old 12-08-2005, 09:53 PM   #10

Tom:

You and I need to have some serious teley convo buddy!! I'll call you tomrrow night, OK?
Old 12-09-2005, 06:34 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
come on Seanster,
i'm looking for the "Spill-Guts" button on my keyboard,
are we all shoppin petes now or sumpin'?

DirtyDog
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:47 PM   #12

Maybe he is shopping for something that kinda looks like this

Sean you are busted. Get out of the closet. Come on over to the Darkside. Can't wait to drive it home on the 19th. Not bad for $23k. So when are the rest of you going to get your HDT's? This photo is of my truck inside the Kenworth dealership shop waiting to be painted. (White)

2006 Rampage 370 Toyhauler
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 09:07 PM   #13

Boy Dave:

I see they're already started- I hope it looks alot better after they get it ALL painted (note to painter: don't run wipers until paint dries).

(Ohh...is that snow? )

I'm investigating as fast as I can Dave! Next step: getting Moski out to your place to see that beast! It will be interesting...

Sean
Old 12-11-2005, 06:27 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sean you are busted. Get out of the closet. Come on over to the Darkside. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hey Sean, you need any more favors, just let me know. Always glad to help whenever I can.

lacofdfireman, that is one good looking truck, I'd have left it red though.