Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:57 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEHamp60 View Post
Wow, I had the same thing happen but I was able to stop the over extension before anything damaging happened. I can't get my LCI level up to work right. I re-calibrated the unit twice now. I guess a call to Lippert is in order. Sorry to here what happened but glad to know I wasn't the only one that this happened to.

Tony
Cyclone 4100B
I just had a conversation with a friend that has a new Cyclone with the LCI. He never got the information from the dealer that you have to manually raise the front landing gear an inch or so to tell the computer that you are disconnected from the truck, before it will auto level. Nobody would ever know that unless they were told. Don't know if that is you problem, just thought I would mention it.

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2014, 12:23 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Multiple misunderstandings involved but basically there are some rules.

1: At time of sale there was an expressed warranty, Heartland honored that warranty.. Now there may also have been an "inmpled" warranty the last line of most warranty statements is: You may have other rights which vary from state to state.

However the standard big ticket sales contract you sign those away... Still Heartland did what they are reaquired to do.

Lippert did the repair work and thus they are the ones who warrant the repair work. And so they did.

Also, I seriously doubt you know what "lifetime Warranty" means, A lifetime warranty will not affect resale value because when you sell, the warranty is cancelled, It applies only so long as YOU own the unit. (At least in most cases) and is not transferable.

So basically, everyone did what they were supposed to do (Except the guy who built the trailer and left the weld off) but you think they should have done more.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:06 PM   #17

Generally a manufacture will work with the vendors of the items in question during the typical 1 year manufacture warranty. However, RV's aren't handled the same as warranties with cars. A consumer can go directly to the vendor of the particular item, frame, lift system, A/C unit, Fridge, Awning etc. for warranty work. You cannot do that with a car under most cases. I have found its much better to directly deal with the particular vendor. Otherwise the RV manufacture will have to do the same, wait for a reply, contact you and back and forth it goes slowing things down. But, the RV manufacture should do whatever it takes to satisfy the customer and be the middle man when needed.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:56 AM   #18

Heartland Cyclone and Dutchmen Voltage

Both manufacturers have had many problems with their toy haulers, mainly due to demand and poor quality control at the factory. I talked to many Voltage owners that are having issues with the tie downs ripping out in the garage area..this was a major concern for me since I'm hauling a heavy HD Ulta Limited. I researched (because I was about to buy the Voltage 3895) and the tie downs are only mounted to the 5/8" plywood floor..and rated for 2500 lbs. Both the Cyclone and Voltage have many ongoing mechanical issues again due to the QC at the factory. The previous post is right on...until the public quits buying the substandard product, the manufacturers will continue cranking out poor quality products.
After doing my homework, I went with the Evergreen Tesla 3950...comes with dishwasher (standard)and the dealer replaced Norco fridge with a residential Samsung fridge with icemaker and larger freezer. (if you order the Tesla you can get residential fridge) Dealer also installed rear backup camera. All manufacturers have QC problems...but the overall quality of the Evergreen Tesla is far superior to both the Cyclone and Voltage for the same price. The tie downs I mentioned on the Tesla are mounted to the frame and rated for 6000 lbs. The Cyclone in this area....is good too...as they are screwed to the frame and rated for 4000 lbs. but the Cyclone has other issues as I mentioned. Before I bought the unit, I had the dealer agree to let me live in it for a couple of days and there was a couple of minor problems that they took care of before I left....mainly vent caps that had not been removed that effects water pressure and filling the fresh water tanks. One slide out had to be adjusted, but everything works great and no issues yet.
Before buying any toy hauler, decide what is most important to you and do your homework. Don't fall in love with all the "whistles" some of these units offer...the whistles are great, but if the basic functions don't operate as they are designed...the whistles don't matter!
Old 08-26-2014, 07:37 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Multiple misunderstandings involved but basically there are some rules.

1: At time of sale there was an expressed warranty, Heartland honored that warranty.. Now there may also have been an "inmpled" warranty the last line of most warranty statements is: You may have other rights which vary from state to state.

However the standard big ticket sales contract you sign those away... Still Heartland did what they are reaquired to do.

Lippert did the repair work and thus they are the ones who warrant the repair work. And so they did.

Also, I seriously doubt you know what "lifetime Warranty" means, A lifetime warranty will not affect resale value because when you sell, the warranty is cancelled, It applies only so long as YOU own the unit. (At least in most cases) and is not transferable.

So basically, everyone did what they were supposed to do (Except the guy who built the trailer and left the weld off) but you think they should have done more.

This is an older post and we have had the unit over a year now with few additional problems. I don't totally disagree with your points with a few exceptions.

Heartland designs the unit and selects which manufactures and components to use in any given product. If they select a sub who builds a substandard part and don't catch it are not they both at fault? The sub builds parts/units to the specs they are given by Heartland. Is it not Heartland who is responsible to ensure that all of the parts work together as designed? Heartland does final assembly and IS responsible for Quality Assurance and Final Systems Testing. How something functions as a whole for what it is intended to be used by the consumer is what matters not that the individual pieces work by themselves.

On a side note: Heartland also choose to install Towmax ST tires which have a strong history of failing at an alarming rate many times with only a few hundred miles on them. They know about the problem but continue to install sub standard tires to increase profits. From your point of view the safety of my family is of secondary concern and Heartland did what they were supposed to do by installing the cheapest legal tires they could find on a $76K Unit. Towmax will do what they are supposed to do which is repair the damage to the torn up side of you nearly new unit after you prove the air pressure was properly set and you never exceeded the ST speed limit of 62MPH. No one will pay the medical bills to repair my family if the premature failure causes an accident. For this reason the Towmax tires have been recycled (I choose not to sell unsafe junk to a stranger) and six (6) Bridgestone Duravas commercial rib tires were installed and balanced by me at a cost of nearly $1500 on a brand new unit.

Heartland is not a terrible company they are just not a good one. They may actually do what they are required by the letter of the law but that is not the standard that I measure manufactures by. We buy certain cars because of their safety ratings, certain tires because of how long they last, how well they perform, and yes how safe they are. Most (at least I am) are willing to pay a premium for quality construction and service after the sale. Heartland marketing material touts "Quality" "Testing" "Customer Service" which in my view they lack at following through on.

Each consumer will make a choice which product they choose to purchase. We are enjoying our Cyclone 4100 and have had it to the tip of Michigan all the way down to the Key's. I never use the Auto Level Feature and manually level the camper from the control panel which only takes about 5 mins. With the frame fixed and quality tires that have been balanced in place it is a joy to tow down the highway. Everything works pretty well for the most part. Trim pieces seem to fall off regularly which means I am frequently fixing minor cosmetic problems. If you are reasonably handy not a big deal.

In the end fact is we get tons of compliments and WOW just about everywhere we go on the unit.

Will I ever buy another Heartland Product? Probably not.

Scott
Old 09-04-2014, 10:48 PM   #20

I've been reading the posts on different websites and talked many out on the road. I haven't found too many happy customers of Heartland over the last 6 months. Their QC has gone to hell in a hand basket, from the Bighorn 5th wheels to the Cyclone Toy Hauler (most popular toy hauler..for now). Many of the owners are 2nd time owners and mention they all had a few problems with their first RV, but now with Heartland and these Heartland owners over the last 16 months...they continue to have multiple problems. It's not just operational problems...their trailers are literally falling apart...and they are still under warranty, but can't get Heartland to fix the problems. CSDAVIS you mention you still have trim pieces falling off...still...lol
Why buy such CRAP??? Thats what Heartland is putting out right now, but until the public hits them where it hurts most..they will continue to build CRAP!
One couple we met with a Big Horn is now suing Heartland and showed me a letter from Heartland...stating "Its not uncommon to have 35-40 problems with a new unit after delivery"...35-40 problems...ARE YOU KIDDING ME???
The letter went on to basically address all of the problems as something that is "Normal" for every new RV. Another couple has the Cyclone 4000 Elite and they are on their 3rd fridge...and yes drawers falling apart...trim inside and out falling off..not to mention the wiring problems they had to have repaired by the dealer.
People there are some quality 5th wheel manufacturers out there..but right now Heartland is one of them.
I'll say it csdavis....THEY ARE A BAD COMPANY RIGHT NOW AND UNTIL THE PUBLIC QUITS BUYING THEIR CRAP THEY WONT' CHANGE ANYTHING. People do your homework before you go out and spend $50k-$100k...if you don't and you get one of the many "lemons" as Heartland keeps saying they have..then you have no one to blame but yourself!
With that said...I almost bought the Cyclone 4200..did my homework..and didn't buy it. Then almost bought the Voltage 3895..did my homework..and didn't buy it. Cyclone and Voltage are the most popular toy haulers on the market right now. They sell you on all the whistles they have..to hide the crap quality. I wouldn't buy either one!! I've been in construction my entire carreer..mostly management, but I'm a journeyman carpenter, welder and can fix almost anything...but why would I or anyone want to spend $90k on something you know there are issues with. I understand after you've had them for a couple of years..proper maintenance etc...but a brand new...off the lot 5th wheel?

Are most RVer's just stupid or am I missing something here?

By the way...I wound up buying the Evergreen Tesla 3950. The base construction quality of a DRV, Excel, or New Horizons...not as extravagant as those, but you not spending what the luxury models cost either. Maybe its because they are fairly new to the market and aren't having to crank up production. I like to think it's by choice Evergreen is taking the slower approach to produce quality and not quantity.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdavis62 View Post
Interestingly enough...

I did do quite a bit of research on various brands of the large (over 40') toy haulers and in the end it came down to Dutchman's Voltage and Heartlands Cyclone. One thing is both are now owned by Thor (I believe) so in the end probably not that much difference. Bottom line is Heartland had on balance more positive reviews for quality and customer service that Dutchman from what I could find. I also like the hydraulics for the slides and jacks rather than the electric drive solutions.....

I think in the end you can end up with a nightmare no matter what you buy. It is the luck of the draw......
NAH diligence is always going to keep you as close to the right decision as you can get , you are not "rolling the dice" when you make a purchase this size I don't really agree about the "luck" thing
Old 11-29-2014, 06:59 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
suprdave1958,m I bought a Heartland because I liked it better than anything else that I looked at. When I bought it, it was the only TH on the market offering any KS bed. BTW it is a residential King. That was very important to us and is still the #1 prerequisite for anything I will look at in the future. With that said, I was less than impressed by the QC, mostly cosmetic issues like the chaotic wiring and plumbing behind the basement wall, sawdust left, etc. I was pretty PO's about the Towmax deal, but had done my homework and headed straight to Discount Tire from the dealer.

Today I surpassed 18K mi on it, and to date, I have replaced 2 transfer switches and 1 water pump. The landing gear switch fell apart today as I was unhitching when we got home, so I will order a new one tomorrow. I bypassed it to get it leveled. There has been a Kawasaki Mule 4x4 Trans and a 4 burner Weber gas grill in the garage every mile (2K lbs). I normally haul a full tank of FW. My gross with truck is around 30K+.

I find it funny when someone who has never owned a particular product can come out and be so negative about that product, with no personal experience. Yes there have been problems and they get well documented because that owner feels the pain. However there are many who totally enjoy there rigs with minimal issues. I am in the market for a DP. If you read their forums you will find many of the same issues on MH's well into the $1/2 MIL range. I can assure you that I paid no where near the 90K you mentioned for my rig, about 30% less. So to date, I am one satisfied customer that feels I got everything that I paid for. i could have spent double the money for one of the high-end manufacturers, id any of them had had an offering of a KS bed. Based on my experience to date, it wouldn't have given me any more pleasure than I have had for the last 2-1/2 years and 18K mi. and I would still be in the market for a DP.

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heartland