Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #1

Heavy M/C Unloading

Just info for anyone who might be interested and has a big heavy bike. I have a Yam RSV dresser, 800lbs. For the past two years I've always had a thrilling time unloading the beast from my 40' Fuzion FWTH, which is high up off the ground. No matter what I tried brake wise, it would come down the ramp like a friggin' rocket, backwards, and scare the s--t out of me every time. Particularly bad unloading on gravel. I finally got on a couple M/C blogs dedicated to just this situation and found some advice and tried it....worked like a charm. Might be old news to some of you but like the husband of a cheatin' wife, I'm always the last to know. Elevate the front end of the TH as far as you can, which changes the angle of the ramp (not so steep), then put the bike in first gear (engine NOT running), and use the clutch to ease it backwards down the ramp. Kind of weird at first because your instinct is to use the front brake, but the clutch and first gear is the ticket. You can totally control the decent speed. I have one word for myself after 40 years of riding bikes....."Duh!"

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #2

Yup, I learned that trick many moons ago to handle a dirt bike that hasn't quite made it to the top of a steep incline and needs to be turned around. Having the "brake" engaged as a default, rather than having to engage it when you need it, is a great help.

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #3

With my GL 1500 I just leave it in reverse after using it to pop out of the front wheel chock. Slows it down nicely so when I grab a little front brake I can actually stop in the middle of the ramp if I want to. Did it once and that was enough. Better to just control the speed and get off as soon as possible. Not sure if you can do that with the 1800 and most likely not the Yamaha. Too much time and trouble lifting the front end every time I wanted to load and unload. Next rig will have a much more reasonable loading angle.

Rod
Old 06-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #4

Whatever works for you pal, but too much trouble lifting the front end?....pushing a button? LMAO!
Old 06-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #5

While loading my HD Softail last fall, I somehow dislodged the dipstick from the oil tank. Started the bike and started riding up the ramp slowly - suddenly, the back tire is spinning and I don't know why? Pulled in the clutch, grabbed the front brake and slid backwards to the bottom of the ramp. I don't know if it took longer to clean the ramp/bike or my pants!
Old 06-24-2013, 05:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davey View Post
While loading my HD Softail last fall, I somehow dislodged the dipstick from the oil tank. Started the bike and started riding up the ramp slowly - suddenly, the back tire is spinning and I don't know why? Pulled in the clutch, grabbed the front brake and slid backwards to the bottom of the ramp. I don't know if it took longer to clean the ramp/bike or my pants!
Somehow popped the dipstick out? I would look into that, could create some bigger problems if it happened on the road.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #7

menoble, that softtail dipstick is right under the rider's right thigh and depending on the cap the owner puts on it, I have seen them come off.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #8

Another Harley note. When hauling over long distance (2-3 days between unloading) the oil in the top end of the rear cylinder can shake down and leave the top end dry as a bone. you'll notice it when you start it up to unload and there's a God awful clatter. Point is, don't haul it for days on end without starting it up. Remember. 98% of all Harleys are still on the road.....the other 2% made it home! I've had them all over the years, that's why I ride a Yamaha now lololol!!