Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-17-2005, 07:43 PM   #1

Sorry to be another nebie just trying to figure out what to get

Criteria:
- I want to spend no more than $35K out the door including hitch and brake controller installed (good stuff ... but havent researched this much yet)
- 5th wheel about 32ft
- Fuel station
- 5.5 generator

I want to be able to haul 4 sport quads. So I need a rear lenght of 13ft+, or is this not practical ???

I am currently leaning towards a Raptor, Weekend Warrior, Ragen, or Rampage (just based on some quick web research and partially on models I have already seen). I am open to just about anything at this point though ...

Its just kinda hard for me to figure out which are of better quality than the others, I dont think there are going to be any RVs shows soon in Phoenix AZ area, all their websites suck for research, its really hard to understand how much off MSRP/out the door I should be able to negotiate, and I would like to buy in the next week or so.

So, what is available per my requirements above ????

I have '05 Dodge 2500 SB 4x4 CTD for tow vehicle ...

Thanks in advance for any input ...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2005, 07:43 PM   #2

Sorry to be another nebie just trying to figure out what to get

Criteria:
- I want to spend no more than $35K out the door including hitch and brake controller installed (good stuff ... but havent researched this much yet)
- 5th wheel about 32ft
- Fuel station
- 5.5 generator

I want to be able to haul 4 sport quads. So I need a rear lenght of 13ft+, or is this not practical ???

I am currently leaning towards a Raptor, Weekend Warrior, Ragen, or Rampage (just based on some quick web research and partially on models I have already seen). I am open to just about anything at this point though ...

Its just kinda hard for me to figure out which are of better quality than the others, I dont think there are going to be any RVs shows soon in Phoenix AZ area, all their websites suck for research, its really hard to understand how much off MSRP/out the door I should be able to negotiate, and I would like to buy in the next week or so.

So, what is available per my requirements above ????

I have '05 Dodge 2500 SB 4x4 CTD for tow vehicle ...

Thanks in advance for any input ...

Old 08-17-2005, 08:44 PM   #3

Welcome twvette. I hope we can help. I am on my second Warrior, it seems to be what a few guys here lean towards. So sometimes that makes it a little one-sided. Other than a few minor problems, they have work out great for me.
The problem here is that you have about a million TH's to chose from, and just when you figger out what to get, a new model comes out and you have to start all over again. You have narrowed in down to some real good choices though. Each offers there own spin on what a TH should be. Now you have to see which one is your style.
I can tell you all you want to know about the WW, the others I don't know much about.
ToyHauler Magazine helped me alot. I think you can subscribe on line. We spent a lot of time at dealerships in our area. Just try to avoid the sales men. Most of them have a very limited knowledge.

Good Luck

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:08 PM   #4

twvette!

Welcome to iRV2! By gosh...I think you'll find a whole bunch of info here- I suggest that you puruse the forum a bit and find out all the issues. Rod's very correct...I'm on my second also, and am a bit biased (could you tell fom my screename? ). But there are alot out there, and there's a whole bunch of people here that can help you with any of your questions.

Good Luck! BTW...I can disagree with Rod on only one point- I happened to find the right guy when it came to salesman- no detectable BS, knows his Warriors up & down, and is just a really good guy. If you are thinking of driving out this way, then I can let you know who he is.

Sean
Old 08-17-2005, 09:12 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>BTW...I can disagree with Rod on only one point- I happened to find the right guy when it came to salesman- no detectable BS, knows his Warriors up & down, and is just a really good guy.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of all the gin joints in all the world, the right sales-man had to walk into Seans'

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:34 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Of all the gin joints in all the world, the right sales-man had to walk into Seans'... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Real nice !

and twvette,
... I see Victor Laszlo and Marlowe have welcomed you already! one more - Welcome to iRV2 !

$35K ... well the brake controller is cheap,
you got a SB so a slider hitch will run $600, ...
.. that leaves you $34.5K, you live in Phoenix it sounds like, ... and you are only giving yourself A WEEK TO DO RESEARCH?! wow
its is a do able situation, you had just be a very trusting sort of person.
You picked a couple real good name brands that are on your short list ... but what other constraints do you have?
Like Phillip Marlowe before me, i've had some Warriors before, but there is another good brand out there as well.

Whats the rest of your need-list? Got Kids? Weight concious with that 2500 TV?

again, Welcome!

FatDog
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:52 PM   #7

twvette,

Welcome to our little corner of the www.

I've had 2 toy haulers, a WW pull and a Nomad 5th wheel. I liked them both, very comparable in quality, virtually no problems with both. Nomad is built by Skyline Industries and I believe they are now called Rampage. With either you should be fine. As Mike said, brake controller and hitch are the easy part, deciding on trailer brand and type will be a little harder. Don't go to big as to over load your truck, it can be done very easily, but don't go too small either. It will be best for you to try to look around at some dealers first, and what is your time frame to buy? The Pomona Rv show is in Oct for 10 days and they always have dozens of different units to look at.

Good luck and again Welcome

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 06:57 AM   #8

So, I guess lets start with price. I have heard I should be able to get about 20% to 30% off msrp. Is this indeed what I should expect and is this out the door or before taxes and other valid/non-valid fees they will try to get me with ???

As an example a new '05 Raptor 33' I checked on today is $47,500 list. So what would you expect I could get this for out the door ????

My math (best case):

$47,500 - 30% = $33,250 = in my range
but
$47,500 - 30% = $33,250 + ~8% tax + ~$500 other fees = $36410 = out of my range and can cross off list above
Old 08-18-2005, 07:50 AM   #9

In my experience (4 RV purchases) you can expect to get close to 30% off MSRP. If a dealer doesn't appear to understand this, walk. There are lots of dealers eager to take your money. All of the manufacturers I have dealt with will give you a MSRP sheet including pricing for options. Use this rather than a sticker to make your decision. Dealers have add on options that they sometimes charge more than factory.

But the most important advice. Forget about budget, your going to spend the money anyway!

Good luck,

Brant

2004 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Intruder350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:02 AM   #10

I'm pretty new at the RVing thing, but I had a couple of thoughts...

First, do some research on your choice of brake controller. I'd go either top of the line Jordan, or Brakesmart.

Second, when you decide what you want, just for giggles, search the internet RV ads. Might find a price on a new one that will give you ammunition to negotiate, and you might also be shocked at what a two year old, used twice version of what you want can be had for.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:08 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
twvette,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...and other valid/non-valid fees they will try to get me with ??? .. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Don't pay any non-valid fees. If they aren't valid to you, shop somewhere else.
I've purchased 3 new ToyHaulers, and have never paid $1 more on the invoice then what i understood to be good fees or charges. If i didn't like a fee, they either explained it to me to my satisfaction, or they took it off the invoice, or i went to the next dealer on my list.
Knowledge is power, but also, not every dealer is out to maim you. But you DO have to know what you are doing. thats is why if you are buying is a SUPER hurry, you are doing it at a slight disatvantaage, if this is your first. But you can do it, and do it good. just be careful.

and more then likely, ... not only is your #2 option closer to reality, ... but you might also have to substitute 20-25% in place of your 30% depending on dealer, ... and then STILL add tax and your mystery fee of $500.

But, ... i would at least want to raise this idea up the flag-pole with you ... in the long run, you might save the most money by making a qualified purchase of the model that works best for your particular needs. Try to find a little time to scout around.
If time is your biggest constraint ... you should be prepared to toss a few extra bucks down on the table. If money is your biggest constraint, roll up your sleeves and lets get to work.
Either way, people here will toss some ideas out to you.
Have you looked at a WW LE3105, no gel-coat ( ) and no slide. That slide will take up some of your quad space.
price that baby out and get back.

Jeff_in_The_Dalles
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and you might also be shocked at what a two year old, used twice version of what you want can be had for. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
that is a very true statement

Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:09 AM   #12

My only advice would be to steer VERY clear of Fleetwood...specifically the Gearbox. If you ever have a problem with one of their units they will leave you hanging out to dry. Trust me. Been there, done that, own one.

Buy a Warrior or a Ragen. $.02

05 NEXT LEVEL 38CKS http://bestsmileys.com/happy/3.gif
PhatFireMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 11:57 AM   #13

Just to be contrary,
We have a Gearbox and love it. Fortunately, we haven't had any serious problems with ours, so have yet to deal with Fleetwood on anything major.

Also, when looking at the Raptor, remember that most of them have a 12' garage. Might be a tad short for your quads. And that applies to many of the 5th wheel garage models. Relatively few have a 15' garage, and then you're looking at a much longer 5'er.

2007 Rally site
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 02:02 PM   #14

Diirk ... I hate you ... you have an '06 Raptor EFI ... I should have waited a year ...

Tags
kz-rv