Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:20 PM   #15
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The truck idea sounds interesting.

One of the largest RV shows in the country is coming up in Tamps Jan. 16 - 20. You will be able to see just about everything available there.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2007, 01:08 PM   #16

The upper K-Z's are nice.

For your purpose, one of the RV's built on a class 8 might be nice, or one of the LQ horse trailers...

You might check out cowboy cadillac. http://www.cowboycadillac.com/classa.htm

If you look on other areas of their sight, they have various toy hauler trucks, heavy truck based toter homes, and stuff like that...

Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:22 AM   #17
Commercial Member

For those following my "toyhauler" selection process, I found a company that builds those long sleeper cabs for semi-trucks, but these sleepers are designed for a Freightliner M-2 106 MDT chassis. http://www.aatrucksleeper.com/king-of-leisure.html
I'm almost afraid to find out how much they cost, but a self-contained sleeper with a shower and APU plus a 16' box on the back on an M-2 with a 300 HP diesel and 6-speed auto could do the job. Keeping the weight under CDL also relaxes the license issues, and I can certainly use a ramp for loading gear instead of a lift-gate.

Yeah, not quite as stylish as a Featherlite MURT with a Sportchassis or 4400LP hauler, but certainly worth considering for my gig. And possibly safer than a toyhauler FW trailer in bad weather conditions.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:16 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Well, I've been looking at a lot of toyhaulers on paper, but have not had a chance to step into one yet. However, looks like I'll be right in the thick of things in about 2 weeks in Florida and will be able to look at a Campmaster 34 FW with slide-out, as well as a Forest River 34FK. I'm not sure about the FRP wall construction of the Forest River, but it's worth a look. The Campmaster 34' with aluminum skin looks good on paper, but this will be my first chance to kick some tires on these things.

So what do I look for in a toyhauler trailer? I'm a solo operator who will spend limited time in the trailer, mostly for sleep time. But I will be putting in 3K to 4K lbs of gear in the garage. Getting this thing in and out of tight parking lots is an issue, so I don't want to go any longer than a 34' FW/GN. I plan to put a genny on the truck and let it pull from the diesel tanks, so a genset in the trailer isn't required. I see the Campmaster has two 30# propane tanks, which could be good for my extended parking in cold months. I don't think any of these stock ones have tank heaters, so that's an installation later, or do I make that part of the deal and get the dealer to install before I buy. I guess I'm looking for any options I should consider to keep me comfortable and safe/sane while out on the road.

Also, how much wiggle room is there on the price of these things. I'm guessing it's a pretty dead market right now with the price of gasoline and all. And since I've found a few "new" 2005 trailers that have been sitting on the lot for over 2 years these things aren't jumping off the lots this winter. Is this the time to make a crazy low-ball offer and get a sweet deal?

Any other things to think about or look at while I'm out kicking tires?
Old 01-14-2008, 04:16 AM   #19

If you are buying in model year, think 30% markup. I looked at a unit that was a year old on the dealer's lot and he wouldn't go any lower than what he said he paid for it...20% off. I wasn't interested. I custom ordered a trailer for 32% less than MSRP, $3,500 less than any other dealer listed a comparable trailer.

Make sure the toyhauling structures are there for what you want - are there enough tie downs in the right places? Are they guaranteed to tie things down? Read the fine print...I heard of someone who tossed about his motorcycles in the back of a toyhauler, causing damage to the trailer and the cycles, because the anchors popped out of the floor. The dealer showed him the fine print - they were not intended to anchor tie downs, they were basically just for show! So, he ate the cost of that lesson and installed his own.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:17 AM   #20
Commercial Member

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rjf7g:

Make sure the toyhauling structures are there for what you want - are there enough tie downs in the right places? Are they guaranteed to tie things down? Read the fine print... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that's one more thing to consider in trailer construction. I would likely add E-Track at 2ft and 5ft height all around the garage area. The new trailer builds I'm considering would have E-track installed at the factory. But any pre-built toyhauler on a lot would probably need to have them added apr├Ęs' construction, so that's an important thing to worry about. Since I do a pretty tight pack already, everything in the load gets pulled to the front bulkhead and stacked to the ceiling in rectangular cases on wheels. So while I don't have the issue of a Harley breaking loose and banging around, some of my cases are 500 pounds or more and on wheels, a bad thing to have rolling around in the back when going around a turn and hitting the brakes. I had a loose case on wheels smack the side of the Sprinter on a turn and it felt like I was going to flip. Not a fun time that I want to repeat soon.

I'll be traveling to Indiana soon and many trailer manufacturers are located there, so that's a good time to look at internal construction before I commit.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:27 PM   #21

One thing you may want to look for is the Cargo Carrying Capacity. Most toy haulers I have seen are rated well below the loads you are looking for. The only two I have found are Weekend Warrior and Desert fox, both West Coast builds. They have models around 6,000 lbs CCC, and the others I have looked at were usually well below 4,000.

Good luck on your search.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:01 PM   #22
Commercial Member

So after studying a bunch of state weight regulations, it seems like a max of 10,000# GVWR on the trailer is my glass ceiling. Since I take my own gear to teach seminars, and I do indeed make money off of this buisiness, I can't get any hobbiest or RV exceptions. So if I go above 10K rating (not weight , but max rating) on the trailer I'll need a CDL with an 11-hour max driving time, maintain a drivers log with all on and off duty time logged, random drug testing records on file at my office in NJ, carry an up to date CDL health certificate with me, etc.... That's just a bit too much for me to deal with, especially the 11 hour driving limit with a 10 hour sleep period.

But.... If I can build a trailer with a GVWR 9,999# and keep the GCWR of the truck and trailer under 26,000#, then if seems I can do this across all 48 states with commercial MD plates and insurance, but without the CDL and DOT issues.

So, I could do this with a 26' tag toyhauler withoug too much complication. However, I still like the idea of a 34' FW toyhauler with a 12' LQ up front. But it must have a GVWR of 9,999 or under, lest I risk having it impounded by the DOT cops in some far away state where I'm driving through, and certainly I couldn't even drive it in my home state of MD without a CDL. So that means tandem 5,200# axles with an upgrade to 16' 10-ply, class-E tires for the bottom end. However, unless I go to an aluminum frame trailer from Alum-Line, ATC, Millenium, or Thule, a 34' steel framed FW/GN with a 12' living quarters is only going to have perhaps 2,000 load capacity. I need around 4,000# cargo capacity for my gear, so that implies a 32' FW aluminum race-car type toy-hauler would be a potential solution. I'm planning on the possibility of getting weighed while I'm in California next year, so I won't even be able to cheat the numbers. And it doesn't appear that derating the trailer by registering it at a lower weight will do me any good. The DOT cops will look at the sticker on the trailer and truck, and perhaps even confirm the GVWR using the VIN. I can't risk the possibility of getting impounded until trial to get my rig back AFTER the big fine. Yikes!!!!! I need to be really legal, not sorta legal.

Also, this seems like a good match to a GMC 3500 DRW crew-cab truck with a Duramax 6.6 diesel, 6 speed Allison automatic, and ranch hauler bed. I can get a ranch hauler bed with an extra 85 gal fuel tank and put a 4 KW generator on the truck bed, so that should keep the pin weight to perhaps 2,500# or 3,000# and within the rear wheel loading of a DRW 1-ton truck. The ranch bed also means I could get the trailer built as low as possible to reduce the wind drag while maintaining a reasonable headspace above the FW for the bed.

From my reasearch the GMC/Chevy 3500 with Duramax 6.6 seems to get the best mileage of the Ford/GMC/Dodge 1-ton trucks, which is important considering I'll drive at least 50,000 miles a year in this thing. But I'll pack this to the max weight, so perhaps I would even consider a 4500 if the right deal came along, but I really like the idea of 4WD in case things get a little crazy. I've driven 4WD pickups over 35 years, so I'm aware of slippery road issues.

Any thoughts on the above rig? Anything else I should look for while in planning?

Thanks for all your help and comments.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:44 PM   #23

OK, so you are looking for something that will hold up to high mileage, carry 4000 pounds of sound gear, survive several days w/o hoookups in sub-freezing temps... And it needs to be under 26000 gross, with any trailer rated less than 10,000....

I don't think there is a 5th wheel seperate garage toyhauler that would meet those requirements.

It seems to me the possibilities might be a toyhauling motorhome, or a small motorhome and enclosed trailer. Many of the toyhauler motorhomes I've looked at didn't appear to me to be the kind of thing designed for hundreds of thousands of miles... and I don't know if they can carry that kind of weight.

Alternately, I suppose you could go with a small, non-seperate garage toyhauler, with some of the gear under a canopy in the bed of the truck. Usually small tow toyhaulers are designed to be light, but I know some can be special ordered with heavier axle and higher vehicle weight rating. Smaller toyhaulers are also lower priced, and may not have as nice appointments, or as much insulation, and some would be tough to camp in when not unloaded.

The other possibility I think might work better: A dually diesel pickup, say a Ram 3500, and a high end well insulated pickup camper. I was thinking like a 2500 series Bigfoot 10.6 with dry bath. It's built like two boat hulls joined in the middle, so there are fewer seams and no framework. They are very well insulated, with high quality interior, and I think it would be the one I'd pick for holding up to the bumps and jars of high mileage.

The 10.6 is I think the smallest you can get with a dry bath, and about the largest I think you would want to run while pulling a trailer.

Then an enclosed bumper pull that could carry your 4000 pounds... If you went with a single axle snowmobile or ATV looking trailer, you could be easily under 26000 gross and 10,000 gross trailer rating. As long as the trailer didn't say "Soundman's Commercial For Profit Audio Equipment" or something on it, it wouldn't likely attract DOT attention...
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:18 PM   #24
Commercial Member

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff_in_The_Dalles:
OK, so you are looking for something that will hold up to high mileage, carry 4000 pounds of sound gear, survive several days w/o hookups in sub-freezing temps... And it needs to be under 26000 gross, with any trailer rated less than 10,000.... I don't think there is a 5th wheel separate garage toyhauler that would meet those requirements. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm finding that to be true in general. However, a few of the all aluminum framed horse hauler trailers from companies like Thule, ATC, Featherweight, and Millennium might be able to make weight with a garage in the back. And Sundowners are really pretty, but might be a bit spendy for me. Since horse trailers have the axles further back than a traditional RV, there's more weight percentage on the pin, so a trailer with a pair of 5,200# axles gives me a GVWR of 9,900# on the axles. Loaded with 4,000# of gear in the garage could I could end up with 2,500# to 3,000# on the pin, which should be fine with a 3500 dually. And I'll upgrade to 16" Class-E 10-ply tires on the trailer, each of which rate at something like 3,150# load or so for extra safety. I don't need a really posh or large LQ as I'm just solo, I just good insulation and a decent bed. Any genny I would put in the bed of the truck with a tank tap rather than the trailer, so I don't have that weight and mess to worry about. But 90% of the time I can get shore power when I'm parked at my gigs, so a heat pump HVAC and electric strip heat would do the job inside, I think.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The other possibility I think might work better: A dually diesel pickup, say a Ram 3500, and a high end well insulated pickup camper. I was thinking like a 2500 series Bigfoot 10.6 with dry bath. It's built like two boat hulls joined in the middle. Then an enclosed bumper pull that could carry your 4000 pounds... If you went with a single axle snowmobile or ATV looking trailer, you could be easily under 26000 gross and 10,000 gross trailer rating. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, that's not something I've considered, but I had the same suggestion for a hotshot-expediter last week. Perhaps there's something to that. I'll take a look around a bit. Thanks for the idea.

However, I would get tandem axles rather than a single since I've lost tires a few times on trailers, and a tandem axle trailer always seemed more stable with a blown tire. Lost a tire on my Dad's little 5 by 8 trailer one time, and there was some pretty serious dancing to get it stopped safely.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> As long as the trailer didn't say "Soundman's Commercial For Profit Audio Equipment" or something on it, it wouldn't likely attract DOT attention... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope... I've learned that low-visibility is the best policy. I plan on a white truck with no extra bling, a white trailer with no markings or other signs. Oh, and a little dirt only adds to the ambiance.

Tags
kz-rv