Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2017, 12:14 PM   #1

Hey all! I could really use some help deciding!!

I've spent countless hours researching RV and fifth wheel toy haulers!! I'm aware there is no one perfect rig...

I'm retired, single and have 1 medium size dog. We will be going full-time as soon as my house sells...YAY
I understand that my situation is unique and they make these things to appeal to the masses. But I can't seem to find anything that's geared more towards a single guy or a couple... Most of the rigs that I'm seeing sleep/accomodate a LOT of people.
I'd really like having the rear and side porch for my dog. I especially like the ones that would give him access to both porches and the garage without coming inside the rig!! We could live with just a rear patio off of the garage (I kind of like the Thor outlaw 37rb except it has a small shower!).

I was a biker for about 35 years before I hurt my back and hope at some point, to be a biker again... but even if I'm not, I like the garage space. I will likely have at least a small bike or scooter to run around/see things.

Washer dryer hookup is a must. There are a couple that have the w/d hookup in such an awkward place that a door won't open all the way. I've seen a couple that have a sink in the garage that I could possibly remove and put a stackable there.

I really like Central Vac.

I don't want or need the giant couch. Or multiple couches.

Really like the idea of a tankless water heater!

A plan to Boondock about 75% of the time and will probably add some solar panels.

The Grand Design 399th is at the top of my list but it has a small shower too.

I might be able to afford one of the older rigs that are built around a Freightliner chassis but then I'd be giving up the patio...???

I know that was a lot of information but I'm hoping that you guys can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer!!
dfeazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2017, 04:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club

I love the options in 5'ers but just can't give up the MH because of what it offers during the trip.

I'm sure you'll find something that meets your most important needs.

I hope you're handy..... these thing can need fixing from time to time and taking it in to be fixed can be frustrating and costly.

Good luck
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:23 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you want the back to heal...make sure you have hydraulic leveler. The bending down to screw down the rear stabilizer jacks on a 5'r can aggravate issues.

If you plan on traveling a lot...the Outlaw or a Canyon Star toyhauler makes setting up and breaking camp easier.

Traveling alone...rear camera monitor would be a must. Backing a coach is much easier than a Fifth Wheel...in my opinion.

If boondocking, compare holding tank size...

Also, if adding solar, consider how many batteries you'll have, or where you can add them. Nice to be very close to the inverter. The solar has to have a nice big reservoir to put the juice in during the day, so you'll have plenty of power to get you thru the night...or maybe a few days, while bad weather passes.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:26 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Class A Toy Hauler idea is what we picked...as perfect as could be for our needs.
And, for anyone with a weak back or knees, any towable will be a challenge to hook/unhook.

The Outlaw and Canyon Star 3921 are not the only offerings for the segment...if you want to look at used:
See others here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/clas...rs-130973.html

Plus there are more in the Super Class C segment.

The New Outlaw 37BG has a very generous shower at 30"x36" and the biggest garage available at 13'6".
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/outla...or-plans/37bg/

The washer/dryer, central vac, tankless water heater and solar are all upgrades that can be made to most any RV. The typical couch can easily be pulled out and replaced with a desk or other interior idea.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:05 AM   #5

Thanks so much, y'all. I'm a little surprised by this...but, I have all but eliminated...well, everything except a Super C.
I've looked at every variable I can think of and it's a no brainier!
Now I just have to find a gently used one that I can afford without trading 1 big payment for another one!!
Old 09-06-2017, 09:19 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfeazelle View Post
Thanks so much, y'all. I'm a little surprised by this...but, I have all but eliminated...well, everything except a Super C.
I've looked at every variable I can think of and it's a no brainier!
Now I just have to find a gently used one that I can afford without trading 1 big payment for another one!!
If you're saying Super C - Toy Hauler...that is the rare of the rare. But they are out there - in the used market - model lines like Dynamax and Seneca. I have no knowledge of a current build, except custom builds from Renegade and Showhauler (built on a class 7 or 8 truck).

And most are on the MDT Freightliner and Navistar chassis' But there was a 1 year run of a Ford F550 Outlaw called the 35SG. Like:
2014 THOR OUTLAW 35SG Stock: 5672 | Orangewood RV Center

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 09-06-2017, 09:22 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:21 AM   #8

Yea, I've given up on the garage (toy hauler) for all the other benefits of the Super C.
I found a few but even used they're double my price range.
I definitely don't want the smaller chassis so I've been looking at rigs built on Freightliner or Internationals. There are a few that meet most of my criteria...
Dynamax DX3 37ts
Renegade Explorer 2900
Jayco Seneca
So now I'm trying to learn about and avoid the Maxxforce engines that were... defective.

Thanks again!!
Old 09-07-2017, 08:12 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We usually call them Super C's...but they were called "Truck Conversions" in the past.
There's a forum for them here. See: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f16/

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 09-07-2017, 10:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The Class A Toy Hauler idea is what we picked...as perfect as could be for our needs.
And, for anyone with a weak back or knees, any towable will be a challenge to hook/unhook.

Both my knees are shot and I have a bad back from years of tournament tennis. However, there is absolutely no issue or discomfort with hitching or unhitching our toy hauler. There is no bending or climbing involved with my setup. Extremely easy.

We have auto leveling. Maybe that is the difference? I don't know, but I am not understanding your comment.

To the OP, if you can attend an RV show, you can get a great idea of what is out there. Good luck!
Old 09-08-2017, 02:30 AM   #11

I went to a show a couple of weeks ago in Raleigh, North Carolina. Unfortunately I had tunnel vision because I thought I had narrowed it down to a Grand Design 399th (which they didn't even have there).
But I can't find any super C's... anywhere in NC, SC, VA to go look at.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:20 AM   #12

There should be a few at the Hershey show next week.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:37 PM   #13

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I know McGeorge RV, actually now a new camping world, in Ashland, VA right off I95 has Senca's on the lot. Might be a place to actually see one. I think there is also a Jayco dealer in Staunton, VA. Drive by there almost everyday. Check their web site.
jmck1737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:16 AM   #14

Thanks y'all. I found an RV & Boat dealer in Claremont, NC that has a used Super C and one or 2 new ones (Dynamax). They're about 95 miles from where I live so even though a new Dynamax is out of my price range, it'll be fun to go put my hands on one and dream a little. LOL