Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-14-2006, 06:04 PM   #1

Hi Everyone:

I'm working on putting together a "Tips on 'Foruming'" thread that the whole site can use here- there are so many things in forum software for being able to move around quickly and efficiently that most don't know or get to hear about. I can't help but think that it's extremely frustrating to some who try to mix participation in several threads, or even multiple sites.

For instance, did you know you can use the FIND button on the top of the forum (between NEW and NOTIFY) and select "New Since Your Last Visit" to see all the posts since you visited last? Or that you can click on the Username in the "Last Post" column of the forum to see the last post in that thread?

It has been my experience that if people know how to use something, they tend to have more enjoyment from using it and it certainly makes their experience easier (hence, the DOH! factor). I also can't think anyone in particular can think of ALL of the tricks (up their sleeves - not even Warpath ), so I'm asking you to give everyone what makes things easier here for you.

What say YOU?!

Sean

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2006, 06:04 PM   #2

Hi Everyone:

I'm working on putting together a "Tips on 'Foruming'" thread that the whole site can use here- there are so many things in forum software for being able to move around quickly and efficiently that most don't know or get to hear about. I can't help but think that it's extremely frustrating to some who try to mix participation in several threads, or even multiple sites.

For instance, did you know you can use the FIND button on the top of the forum (between NEW and NOTIFY) and select "New Since Your Last Visit" to see all the posts since you visited last? Or that you can click on the Username in the "Last Post" column of the forum to see the last post in that thread?

It has been my experience that if people know how to use something, they tend to have more enjoyment from using it and it certainly makes their experience easier (hence, the DOH! factor). I also can't think anyone in particular can think of ALL of the tricks (up their sleeves - not even Warpath ), so I'm asking you to give everyone what makes things easier here for you.

What say YOU?!

Sean

Old 02-15-2006, 02:45 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Sean, I think this is a wonderful idea and it should cause those that apply themselves to learning it, cause them to be more active on the board. I am sure we all can pick up on some new tricks as the technology gets better; and as new versions come out, this may be even more important. Thank you for coming up with this and posting about it. I hope that others will see it the same way.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:46 PM   #4

Alright, alright, alright...seems as though this may be a tough one to get everyone going on, so I'll throw out a-nudder one as bait :

One of my tricks is to save certain URLs in the "Links" directory of my Internet Explorer Favorites to set up quick buttons on the toolbar so I can easily push a button and go to where I want without navigating through the website's links.

Here's hopefully a decent pic of what I'm talking about:

It's easy...to do so, just Add To Favorites like you normally would do, but save the URL to the "Links" directory. It will then come up on the Links section of your toolbar. I then rename the Favorite to shorten it so it won't take a whole bunch of room. Then all you've got to do is use select the button for the page you want to go between websites. So...if you've got two forums here that you'd like to toggle between, you can use this trick to set them both up and just go back and forth between them.

Of course, you can ALSO just open multiple IE windows and [ALT][Tab] between them. But when you do that, you WON'T SEE UPDATED CONTENT that may have changed since you last visited the page. Setting them up as different "Links" will ensure you're looking at the most up-to-date page.

I realize this "trick" is more Windows based than iRV2 Website oriented, but it is the one I use probably use most frequently, and it will allow you to more quickly respond to many forums.

More to come!

Sean
Old 02-16-2006, 08:23 AM   #5

When I want to add pictures to a thread I first post the pictures in the Photo section of this forum. After I have all my pictures posted I then open up Notepad, right click each picture, hit Properties, copy then paste the url from the Properties window to Notepad in the order in which I wish to add the pictures to the thread.
This keeps me from having to bounce back and fourth from the Toyhauler Forum to the Photo section to grab the url's one-by-one. I can Alt-Tab between Notepad and the window that asks me for the picture url, grap and paste the url's as I need them without leaving the thread I am posting to.
I suppose I could open two browser windows, one for the thread and one for the Photo section but the above technique is the one I use.

TB

WW FS2300
twinbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:55 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

TB,that's a really cool alternative....I use the "two browser" method you mention.
rebelsbeach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:55 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks, WWF . My wife already thinks I have a mistress . Now I'll spend even more time here . Isn't it great!
Old 02-16-2006, 08:09 PM   #8

T&P!

How the heck's my favorite crew from Fresno? We'll have to hook up now that Mom is back there (well... Clovis, but close enough for Gov't work).

Good to 'see' ya again! Tom...you DO have a mistress...her initials are "i Rwove Vou 2oo - Honey!).

Got any tricks...hummmm...err...you can 'share' here? I'm working on some more, but don't want to make it WWFan's Forum Tricks.

Again...good to have ya onboard!

Sean