Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2005, 03:00 PM   #1

I can't take credit for the design, I read about these on a toyhauler forum, but I made a couple of them this weekend.
The wood I already had and the pipe clamps cost $11.95 ea. and the 24"x1/2" black pipe, cut to 20" cost about $3.00 at Home Depot.
According to the thread I read they will take all the rock out of the trailer when you are moving around inside. I haven't tried them yet but it should work.

Larry

WW FS2300
twinbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2005, 03:00 PM   #2

I can't take credit for the design, I read about these on a toyhauler forum, but I made a couple of them this weekend.
The wood I already had and the pipe clamps cost $11.95 ea. and the 24"x1/2" black pipe, cut to 20" cost about $3.00 at Home Depot.
According to the thread I read they will take all the rock out of the trailer when you are moving around inside. I haven't tried them yet but it should work.

Larry

WW FS2300
Old 09-26-2005, 03:27 PM   #3

I made a set of these too. I used threaded rod,instead of the pipe clamps, and just carry a 9/16 box end ratchet. While the work really well, there is still some movement, due to the fact the 5er sits on spring shackles.

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:05 PM   #4

Hey Larr!!

You tryin' to take Howie's Crown from him?! So far, I think you've beat 'em at draining the 'ole pocketbook! Good job...and I like the idea of the pipe clamps! Do they work well, despite all the movement in the trailer?!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 02:39 AM   #5

WWFan, I just made them last weekend and haven't had a chance to try them out yet.
Watch out Howie, I did another mod last weekend but haven't gotten pictures of it yet.

TB

WW FS2300
Old 09-27-2005, 02:25 PM   #6

Geeezz...I love it when we've got to the point to where we're warning Howie about another pending mod!!! I can see him scratching his head, dashing around his LE desparately looking for something else to do!!

Too much fun guys!!!

Sean
Old 09-27-2005, 02:32 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Hey WW, doesn't it feel good to not need all these new fangled contraptions, er...mods. Us triple axle heavier than dirt trailers couldn't move if they had to. At least mine don't, thats move, except if you don't put the rear stab down, then it'll move a little in the rear. Otherwise, stab's down, you can hold a dance party in there and never know it.
Vette Racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 02:46 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Hey WW, doesn't it feel good to not need all these new fangled contraptions, er...mods. Us triple axle heavier than dirt trailers couldn't move if they had to. At least mine don't, thats move, except if you don't put the rear stab down ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yea Tom, but maybe you guys are just a bit rougher on your trucks then us whiners ..
and I see what you're talking about with the rear of the truck ... except i think you actually might be stuck on sumthin'.
There was like .. three of those things out there (whatever they are), couldn't you just have driven around them???

need any help bud? hey, by the way ... good articulation on those rear springs Tommy!!
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 02:56 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Er, FD, I think the point went right passed you. collected 200 bucks, and went on its way.

We're talking trailer movement, not truck. But you are right, the articulation IS pretty good.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:57 PM   #10

Hey...have to tell ya an embarrassing story...trip up to my friends over Labor Day, we were pulling out Tuesday about 5am, and I forgot my son had put the BAL(?) wheel chock on, and I started to pull forward, felt it was heavy, got out and looked and remembered I was on blocks, so I continued, it loosened and I just went down the road. My buddy heard it, called me after I got some cellphone coverage and asked me if I had a flat tire....fortunately, no damage, except to the chock.

Just one more for the 'ol memory block!!
Old 09-27-2005, 03:10 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
You know, great minds do the same thing!

I did the same thing at a campground once as I was pulling it off the blocks. Still got that darn BAL but haven't used it since. Besides, who needs it.

Maybe we ought to start a thread about things we've done, eh?
Old 09-27-2005, 04:59 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Here's another wheel chock option. Found this scissor jack abandoned in a parking lot. After losing one of those pricey bought ones I started using this. It works great.

Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:09 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Well, 3 times forgot to put the batwing antenna down. It's embarassing when other campers are running after you frantically waving their hands. And twice almost, just almost started to pull away with the elect cord still attached. Saw it in the mirror. Camper next door was just agrinnin!
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote