Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-14-2006, 11:20 AM   #1

I can't take credit for the design, I read about these on a toyhauler forum, but I made a couple of them for my FS2300.
The wood I already had and the pipe clamps cost $11.95 ea. and the 24"x1/2" black pipe, cut to 20" cost about $3.00 at Home Depot.
They will take most of the rock out of the trailer when you are moving around inside. As suggested by other threads, you should retighten them after your tires cool down.

TB

WW FS2300
twinbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2006, 11:20 AM   #2

I can't take credit for the design, I read about these on a toyhauler forum, but I made a couple of them for my FS2300.
The wood I already had and the pipe clamps cost $11.95 ea. and the 24"x1/2" black pipe, cut to 20" cost about $3.00 at Home Depot.
They will take most of the rock out of the trailer when you are moving around inside. As suggested by other threads, you should retighten them after your tires cool down.

TB

WW FS2300
twinbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:21 PM   #3

They look pretty nice... good job...
ive only got a 23ft 5th wheel and it dont realy move around too much but i am gonna make 1 of them just to check it out...
Old 02-14-2006, 01:00 PM   #4

TB:

Great idea...I've got a set of those store-bought metals ones (can't remember the darn name of them- starts with a "B", I think), but I like the vertical clamping effect idea MUCH better.

Just don't forget to unclamp 'em before you take off one 5am morning, and don't ask me how I know.

Sean
Old 02-14-2006, 01:39 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Just don't forget to unclamp 'em before you take off one 5am morning, and don't ask me how I know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I KNOW! Been there and done that. Now I just don't use them, didn't need it anyway. Do you have a Big WW that rocks with the stabilizers down? For the folks with the smaller trailers, yes, remove them.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:48 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do you have a Big WW that rocks with the stabilizers down? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom:

BAL...that's the make of mine- well...now only one of them- the other I sent to Websters to put a picture next to the word "pretzel".

I don't care how good the front stabs are, they rock- they have to have some play in them so they don't bind. I know a couple of peeps that have bent theirs hooking up because they didn't do anything to even chock the wheels. Of course, both of them had been partaking adult beverages all weekend before they hooked up.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:46 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I can say from personal experience that its very important to tighten them after the tires cool down. I ended bending one of my front stabs the next morning when I went to hook up and the chocks had loosened up. Expensive way to learn things, but I'll never forget to tighten them again.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:32 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't care how good the front stabs are, they rock- they have to have some play in them so they don't bind. I know a couple of peeps that have bent theirs hooking up because they didn't do anything to even chock the wheels. Of course, both of them had been partaking adult beverages all weekend before they hooked up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I think you guy's misread what I said way back then. I was talking about stabilizers, not front jacks. You know, the rear stabilizers. With those down there is NO movement in my trailer. Also, if you are hooking up with enough force to move the trailer you are using more force than is necessary. I bought one of those BAL's in the early days but soon discovered that it wasn't needed, hummm, in fact I need to take that sucker out of the trailer and put it on the shelf. No need in carrying additional weight you know.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:29 PM   #9

Ahhhh...yes there Tommy Boy...you are correct. The more you can connect the trailer to the ground, the more stable- and the more you've got to make sure gets back up in the traveling position!
Old 02-20-2006, 08:04 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:
Ahhhh...yes there Tommy Boy...you are correct. The more you can connect the trailer to the ground, the more stable- and the more you've got to make sure gets back up in the traveling position! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Whoa Sean, I think you still have not got the whole picture here but you know what, never mind, I give.

The bottom line is: With a big 3 axle trailer there is NO rocking of the trailer with the rear stabilizers down, period! (does your 3905 rock while sitting in the drive)

If you have rocking of the trailer then your trailer is not as stable as mine. That includes the front of the trailer too. You know, at my age this doesn't usually happen, but, even if you have wild sex in the bedroom, my trailer doesn't move. Maybe this is just luck but anyway, that's the way it is and I ain't lying.

If you need chocks and such to handle your problems then go for it, myself, I'll just level and go inside. I really don't understand some of the comments since all I have to do is level the trailer, put the rear stabilizers down, and I'm done. I hope that all of you with the big trailers have the same luck.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:17 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vette Racer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:
Ahhhh...yes there Tommy Boy...you are correct. The more you can connect the trailer to the ground, the more stable- and the more you've got to make sure gets back up in the traveling position! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Whoa Sean, I think you still have not got the whole picture here but you know what, never mind, I give.

The bottom line is: With a big 3 axle trailer there is NO rocking of the trailer with the rear stabilizers down, period! (does your 3905 rock while sitting in the drive)

If you have rocking of the trailer then your trailer is not as stable as mine. That includes the front of the trailer too. You know, at my age this doesn't usually happen, but, even if you have wild sex in the bedroom, my trailer doesn't move. Maybe this is just luck but anyway, that's the way it is and I ain't lying.

If you need chocks and such to handle your problems then go for it, myself, I'll just level and go inside. I really don't understand some of the comments since all I have to do is level the trailer, put the rear stabilizers down, and I'm done. I hope that all of you with the big trailers have the same luck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You turkey...even Howie (at his ripe old age has posted "if the trailer's a rockin', don't bother knockin'"!)

Seriously (as serious as I can get after your post...still ROTFLMAO)...there's alot you can do to offset even someone rolling over in bed . We have that darn teenager that does alot of that in the back bed- and it's a little disconcerting to feel some movement like that here in earthquake country.

Are ya feeling a little lucky tonight, and the bigger question, GOT stabilizers on the bed?

You turkey!

Sean Out!
Old 02-20-2006, 08:23 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vette Racer:

If you need chocks and such to handle your problems then go for it, myself, I'll just level and go inside. I really don't understand some of the comments since all I have to do is level the trailer, put the rear stabilizers down, and I'm done. I hope that all of you with the big trailers have the same luck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You turkey...even Howie (at his ripe old age has posted "if the trailer's a rockin', don't bother knockin'"!)

Seriously (as serious as I can get after your post...still ROTFLMAO)...there's alot you can do to offset even someone rolling over in bed . We have that darn teenager that does alot of that in the back bed- and it's a little disconcerting to feel some movement like that here in earthquake country.

Are ya feeling a little lucky tonight, and the bigger question, GOT stabilizers on the bed?

You turkey!

Sean Out! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Jees! YOU DIDN'T ANSWER THE QUESTION. DOES YOUR TRAILER ROCK IN THE DRIVEWAY WITH EVERYTHING DOWN!!!!!! MINE DOESN'T!
Old 02-20-2006, 08:32 PM   #13

YES! THAT'S BECAUSE IT'S AN ACTIVE TH!

...and when was the last time you doinked in your trailer? And how far way is your nearest neighbor?!

Wanna trade TH's yet? ....excuse me!
Old 02-20-2006, 08:36 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Wow, I just realized I screamed, gotta get ahold of myself but thats ok, sometimes you just have to, especially if someone isn't listening but you know what, maybe I shouldn't even post this.

Well, never mind, the answer just came along.

All I can say is, you are a better man than I cause mine doesn't move.!!!!!!!!!!!!

You'all just go ahead!!