Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2017, 01:34 PM   #1
zzz

How do I get Thor toy hauler weight information?

In short, I'm looking for an easy way to get weight limit and capacity info for the 2016 Thor Outlaw 37LS. It'd be great if I could also get it easily for other past models.

Here's why I'm having trouble. I've been researching Thor toy haulers for quite a while. I thought I was going to buy a 29J, until they downgraded the garage from1,500 lbs to 1,000, and I found out the entire vehicle can only carry a total of 1,700 lbs, not including water! If you have 1,000 lbs in the garage, you can only carry 700 lbs in the cabin, and that goes down to 368 if you have the audacity to fill the water tanks!

The worst part is, this information, and other standard weight limit/capacity information was nowhere on their website or brochures. I had to spend almost a month prying the info out of Thor.

Once I gave up on the 29J, I started looking st Class A Outlaws. Again, the website and brochure only state GVWR and GCWR. Those are useful, of course, but say nothing about how much you can actually load onto the RV.

I don't have any dealers close enough for me to go look at the stickers on individual listings. The ones that have been willing to look for me have said the Outlaws only had Ford axle rating stickers, but no Thor sticker with anything helpful like OCCC. I thought OCCC was mandatory, right?

I've spent more time than I'd like to admit trying to get info directly from Thor reps, but it hasn't been very successful. So far, I have the GVWR and GCWR (which I had from day one, since they're in the brochure). I also got a "dry weight plus some amount of fuel." The rep said "well, they had to put some fuel in to drive it to the scale, but I have no way of knowing how much; let's go with 1/4 tank." Also, they claimed it's not possible to break that "dry weight plus mystery fuel" out by axle.

I'd also love to know things like the weight limit in the loft and cab bed, but I don't think that's realistic at this point.

For what it's worth, I've had very kind dealers at some of the largest chains try to get this info from Thor on my behalf, and they have had less luck than I have.

So, if there's some way to get weight and capacity limit information on the 2016 Thor Outlaw 37LS, and hopefully on other past Outlaw models as well, I'd love to hear about it. Even if it's not comprehensive enough to include things like bed weight limits, I'd love to know OCCC (total and by axle), tongue weight, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Oh, and please be gentle on my first post. I did try to search for this info on other threads first, and I don't think I've broken any rules, but I will go ahead and apologize now for any mistakes.
zzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2017, 01:51 PM   #2

StenosisWife-

Welcome to iRV2!

Here's a link to a thread that has some weight info (see page 2). You may want to chat up some of the folks who posted there.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:31 PM   #3
zzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
StenosisWife-

Welcome to iRV2!

Here's a link to a thread that has some weight info (see page 2). You may want to chat up some of the folks who posted there.
Thank you for responding. I had read that thread previous to posting. I don't see any information that applies, other than the garage weight. I should have mentioned that the garage weight limit is in the brochure, so I'll update the original post to reflect that. [Update] Well, either in even less tech-savvy then I thought, or I'm not allowed to edit my original post. :(

Is the OCCC or any other info specific to the 37LS listed in that thread and I'm just missing it, or were you just saying those might be good people to ask?

I also thought about hunting down 37LS owners in the "Thor Outlaw Owner List" mega thread, but I didn't know if that would be uncouth.

Also, I have to believe there's a more efficient and official way to get documented weight information without stalking owners on a forum. So, even if it's considered okay for me to hunt down a 2016 37LS owner on here, I'm still interested in information about where I can find this type of information more easily. Plus, the 37LS might fall through, and then I'll have to get the info all over again for another model.

Thanks again!
Old 10-12-2017, 03:33 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Every TMC motorhome has a bright yellow sticker on the entry door that lists OCCC. The dealership staffs know this and are just trying to get you in the door

Sticker looks like:
Click image for larger version

Name:	29H Weights.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	179639

On the pre-2010's (Damon's) there was a decal in the kitchen cabinet

Each unit is weighed as it leaves the factory, so no 2 are exactly the same.
That sticker is on a 29H Class C...almost 2,000 OCCC (that does not include a full tank of propane)
See: Weighing Glossary

Before you dump the Class C idea, please notice that's really a very high weight. Put 1,000lb in the garage and you still have almost 1,000lb for people, clothes, water, and fuel....gear is in the garage - right? We travel with less than full water - unless we are boondocking, where there is no way to get water...just wastes MPG enroute).

See an actual Class C owner's weigh-in here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/outla...wr-332696.html

The new 29J is reportedly about 150lb lower OCCC - 'cuz the bigger bed in the garage and 2 sofas in the salon.

About the Class A's...
All since 2014.5 have the top of the line 26,000lb GVWR chassis.
2012-2014 was the 24,000lb chassis
2007-2011 were mixed 22,000lb and 24,000lb depending on order.

All Class A's have an unloaded weight between about 19,800lb and 21,500lb depending on options. Check the label...There's PLENTY of OCCC.

And, they all have a purpose:
Early 22,000lb version (Ford F53) had the best light-loaded ride (for most weekenders).
The 24,000lb versions (Ford and Workhorse) had good capacity and a good ride (for most all around users).
The current 26,000lb versions can carry a BIG load (incl. Full-Timers).

I submit that the first decision you must make is:
*Dedicated Bedroom or no Bedroom...

If you MUST have a real bedroom, get a 37RB ("Real Bed") or the predecessor 37MD (sofa sleeper in the "Middle-Den").

If you are OK with a drop down bunk or loft, all the others will work.
*The newish 37BG ("Big Garage") has 13'6" deep garage,
*The 37LS and predecessor 3611 have 10" garage.
*There is a legacy model 3808 with 12' garage on 26,000lb gas or 27,000lb Diesel FRED.

See lots more here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/clas...ml#post1249924

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by StenosisWife View Post
I also thought about hunting down 37LS owners in the "Thor Outlaw Owner List" mega thread, but I didn't know if that would be uncouth.

Also, I have to believe there's a more efficient and official way to get documented weight information without stalking owners on a forum. So, even if it's considered okay for me to hunt down a 2016 37LS owner on here, I'm still interested in information about where I can find this type of information more easily. Plus, the 37LS might fall through, and then I'll have to get the info all over again for another model.

Thanks again!
Because every Outlaw is slightly different, they have never posted a standard OCCC.

Feel free to post in our mega-thread (in my signature line) or PM individuals from here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/list...rs-280110.html
We love to brag about our Outlaws

And,
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 10-12-2017, 04:32 PM   #6
zzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Every TMC motorhome has a bright yellow sticker on the entry door that lists OCCC. The dealership staffs know this and are just trying to get you in the door

Sticker looks like:
Attachment 179639

On the pre-2010's (Damon's) there was a decal in the kitchen cabinet

Each unit is weighed as it leaves the factory, so no 2 are exactly the same.
That sticker is on a 29H Class C...almost 2,000 OCCC (that does not include a full tank of propane)
See: Weighing Glossary

Before you dump the Class C idea, please notice that's really a very high weight. Put 1,000lb in the garage and you still have almost 1,000lb for people, clothes, water, and fuel....gear is in the garage - right? We travel with less than full water - unless we are boondocking, where there is no way to get water...just wastes MPG enroute).

See an actual Class C owner's weigh-in here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/outla...wr-332696.html

The new 29J is reportedly about 150lb lower OCCC - 'cuz the bigger bed in the garage and 2 sofas in the salon.

About the Class A's...
All since 2014.5 have the top of the line 26,000lb GVWR chassis.
2012-2014 was the 24,000lb chassis
2007-2011 were mixed 22,000lb and 24,000lb depending on order.

All Class A's have an unloaded weight between about 19,800lb and 21,500lb depending on options. Check the label...There's PLENTY of OCCC.

And, they all have a purpose:
Early 22,000lb version (Ford F53) had the best light-loaded ride (for most weekenders).
The 24,000lb versions (Ford and Workhorse) had good capacity and a good ride (for most all around users).
The current 26,000lb versions can carry a BIG load (incl. Full-Timers).

I submit that the first decision you must make is:
*Dedicated Bedroom or no Bedroom...

If you MUST have a real bedroom, get a 37RB ("Real Bed") or the predecessor 37MD (sofa sleeper in the "Middle-Den").

If you are OK with a drop down bunk or loft, all the others will work.
*The newish 37BG ("Big Garage") has 13'6" deep garage,
*The 37LS and predecessor 3611 have 10" garage.
*There is a legacy model 3808 with 12' garage on 26,000lb gas or 27,000lb Diesel FRED.

See lots more here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/clas...ml#post1249924

Best luck
Thank you for the very helpful response. I don't know what to say about the sticker. The dealer knows I'm 10 hours away and won't drive down until we figure out the weight issue, so I can't imagine he'd try a trick like that.

With regards to the 29J, my husband's medical equipment alone takes up almost all of the 1,000 lbs in the garage. Then my husband, myself, and our children weigh over 600 lbs in the front. Even with an empty water tank, it's a no go. Others can decide for themselves if 1,700 lbs (with only 500 lbs net capacity on the front axle) is adequate for a six passenger RV that is purportedly designed to carry motorcycles and such, but there's no way it will work for us. We wanted very badly for it to work, as I'm not excited about leaning to drive, park, etc. with a Class A. No amount of creative packing, giving up on the idea of dry camping, etc., could make it possible. I would also point out that each of the dealers we worked with to get that information were also shocked, and at least two of them said they felt Thor had misled them, and one even cancelled his 29J orders "because there's no way I can, in good faith, sell such a useless RV." So, I don't think I'm crazy for being surprised by the limitations. 1,700 lbs would be plenty for a regular Class C, but I just can't agreed it's a whole lot for a (six passenger) toy hauler.

I appreciate the info on the other Class A's. I actually have a good grasp on the basics of them and which will work best for us. I just need weight limit and capacity details.

That being said, though, I do have a non-weight question. Do you know of a Class A toy hauler that has a loft and over-cab bed like the 37LS, but where the dinette and sofa are across from each other instead of being inline on the same side?

Thanks again!
Old 10-12-2017, 04:58 PM   #7
zzz

Quote:
Because every Outlaw is slightly different, they have never posted a standard OCCC.
Yeah, I should have put "average" or something. I can't figure out how to edit OP, though.

Does that mean there's literally no way to get at least a basic idea of what it is, on average? I can't be the only person who isn't able to personally view every individual unit of a model I'm interested in.

With the 29J, Thor was able to tell me the average OCCC (eventually) and even split it by axle. The axle portion might seem like nitpicking, but the front axle was only 500 lbs, so it can be critical.

It's just frustrating that I can go on Edmunds and such and find more data than I could ever want on a $15,000 hatchback, but I can't find even the basics on a $150,000 RV.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:19 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would ask your closest dealer straight-up to send you a cell phone pic of that sticker in the model they have, that you like. If they won't, move-on to a new dealer.

But, any dealer bad-mouthing the E450 (Class C cab/chassis) is just full of hot air. The GVWR is 14,500lb so almost 2,000lb OCCC is not bad. That's a full dress Harley in the garage, then probably 1,300lb for everything else.

Now...With 1,000lb of equipment coming along without any toys or other cargo, you're probably best to opt out of the Class C.

For your floor plan request:
"Do you know of a Class A toy hauler that has a loft and over-cab bed like the 37LS, but where the dinette and sofa are across from each other instead of being inline on the same side?"
The 37RB/MD (post 2014) has it:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-Outlaw-37RB.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	179668

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 10-13-2017, 09:26 AM   #9
zzz

Quote:
For your floor plan request:
"Do you know of a Class A toy hauler that has a loft and over-cab bed like the 37LS, but where the dinette and sofa are across from each other instead of being inline on the same side?"
The 37RB/MD (post 2014) has it:
Attachment 179668

Best luck
I appreciate that. Is that the right floor plan? It doesn't show a sofa across from the dinette. It just shows a dinette with no sofa.

If you mean the bedroom in the middle of the RV, I was actually talking about a sofa and dinette directly across from each other in the front area, like the current 37BG.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:55 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by StenosisWife View Post
I appreciate that. Is that the right floor plan? It doesn't show a sofa across from the dinette. It just shows a dinette with no sofa.

If you mean the bedroom in the middle of the RV, I was actually talking about a sofa and dinette directly across from each other in the front area, like the current 37BG.
Most Outlaws with a sofa and separate dinette across from the kitchen were made before the overcab bunk became available...the 37LS and predecessor 3611.
We have the 3611, so can agree why that set-up is important.

The 37RB is the closest Outlaw set-up to put the dinette across from the galley (and with the overcab bunk) . The other room separates the party, so may be bad - may be good

The Newmar Canyon Star 3921 puts the dinette and galley in-line with sofa across the room...and they do not offer the overcab bunk
https://www.newmarcorp.com/gas-motor...ar/floorplans/

As you remarked, the 37BG has it all...couch and dining tables across from the gally. It's a brand-new floor plan, so no feedback yet about how living with a couch/dining table works.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 10-15-2017, 02:30 PM   #11

just a shot in the dark, I haven't read this whole thread.
https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2016-...n-37ls-tr25872
Flyin4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor, toy hauler, weight