Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-24-2005, 04:10 AM   #1

Hows yours set up in the garage portion of your toy hauler. Just trying to get ideas on how to set it up. For hauling the toys, eating/extra sleeping areas and what not? any ideas will be appreciated.

2003 Monark w/125h.p. Merc
Tombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2005, 04:10 AM   #2

Hows yours set up in the garage portion of your toy hauler. Just trying to get ideas on how to set it up. For hauling the toys, eating/extra sleeping areas and what not? any ideas will be appreciated.

Old 11-25-2005, 07:43 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Setting up the garage area ....
that is a good question. You could get a huge variety of opinions on that one.

56Nomad had a thread here where he really neatly trimmed back the carpet and put in carpet trim to more officially seperate the 'garage area' from the 'living area.' I don't know if your 'hauler is fully carpeted or if it already seperates the 'two' areas.

WWFan's new ToyHauler, Taj Mahal, came with those reversible bench seats in the back that can face forward OR face out back (for when you open the rear ramp door.) Thats a handy feature. Somewhere on this forum is a picture of a bunch of guys sitting on that bench looking out back, all with beverages in hand and smiles on face.

But as far as major modifications to the structure itself ??
There are some I have seen done, but one of the things I would worry about is taking up valuable space. Today you may only be loading a couple quads, tommorrow it may be a rail or Jeep. Those things can take a lot of that upper space. I'd be careful putting in any permanent improvements that take up too much space.
BUT, i have seen cabinets put in back there that looked sweet. No garage can have too many cabinets.
And my favorite is plumbing the back for inside and outside air. I bring along a 30 gallon compressor. Draping 100' of hose all over the place so i can trip on it all weekend long gets kinda old after the first bruise. On my list is to hard plumb air out the rear lower hatch, running that air on the inside right up to where I usually strap my compressor.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 10:31 AM   #4

Toombs,

As Mike stated,

Setting up your "garage" is a personal choice. What do you need or want to take with you. Don't take junk just because you have space, it adds weight quickly. Cabinets are mandatory, but a roll-a-way isn't unless you do major work on the road.

Don't put in a permanent wall if you are thinking of getting bigger toys down the road.

Put everything you want to take on the ground next to the trailer and then take a good look at it to see if you really NEED it all.

Plumbed in air is really nice, and you can never have too many electrical outlets.

Good luck and have fun.

Mikey,

Very nice to see you posting. I missed your humor and insite.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 07:37 PM   #5

Toombs:

I really don't have "THE" Taj Mahal...just the mini So Cal one... (Thanks Mikey, and weren't you one of those partaking of the bubbly sittin' on the back couch?! )

Take it from someone who has has both a garage and a big living area in the same rig...when we got our earlier SLC3705, I said I'd never have a sand car, so my high desert friends (who are framers) built this beautiful garage wall complete with door and windows. Completely trimmed in, newly carpeted living area- all you would've wanted. You should have seen them cry when I had to tear it out 5 months later when I traded my XR250 for a high jumper. That's when I put in the french doors on the back because we liked to keep the a/c air IN and the dust OUT...

Ther are things you can do to minimize the smell you get from having bikes and autos in the living area. Our biggest was tying all the vent tubes together with 1/4" drip tubing and venting them out of the coach- helped a bunch. Then simple tarps on the floor for the sandcar kept anything off the carpet we had.

Personally, I wouldn't have a garage, but as Mikey said, opinions are numerous. Just don't go overboard until you have a chance to settle into your niche!

Sean
Old 11-28-2005, 06:22 AM   #6

Thanks for the input. This is not my trailer but, my bro-inlaws. He had just bought it and we were discussing on how to fix up the back end for a number of things. I do like the air hose suggetion thou. Very good idea.
Again thanks, Tom