Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 121
How to determine California DMV fee's before purchase?

I want to know what it will cost me annually to register a trailer at a purchase price of X amount in the state of CA. I tried getting on the DMV website but for whatever reason the VIN number is a requirement to calculate the fee's. Anyone have an idea how to find this information out.....besides calling the DMV or worse, going down there?
__________________

__________________
steveatpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
bluepill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,246
If you have a particular trailer in mind, ask the seller for the VIN
__________________

__________________
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Steve R.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Folsom, CA, USA
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveatpa View Post
I want to know what it will cost me annually to register a trailer at a purchase price of X amount in the state of CA. I tried getting on the DMV website but for whatever reason the VIN number is a requirement to calculate the fee's. Anyone have an idea how to find this information out.....besides calling the DMV or worse, going down there?
I have two RV's registered in CA. One is a new to me toy hauler with a recent purchase price of $23.5k I just paid $250 for this year's registration. My other RV was valued at $53k new in 2007 and I pay in the low $300's for that one and it drops a little each year. Maybe those rough numbers will help.
__________________
2014 Excel L34IKR, 2017 Ford F450
Steve R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R. View Post
I have two RV's registered in CA. One is a new to me toy hauler with a recent purchase price of $23.5k I just paid $250 for this year's registration. My other RV was valued at $53k new in 2007 and I pay in the low $300's for that one and it drops a little each year. Maybe those rough numbers will help.
They do, thank you.
On that note though, I cant remember what CA tax is for such "luxury" vehicles. Do you remember what you paid? Lets just use round numbers like $20k or $10k for sake of ease. I'm looking for a used trailer around $20k or less.
__________________
steveatpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Steve R.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Folsom, CA, USA
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveatpa View Post
They do, thank you.
On that note though, I cant remember what CA tax is for such "luxury" vehicles. Do you remember what you paid? Lets just use round numbers like $20k or $10k for sake of ease. I'm looking for a used trailer around $20k or less.
Add your local sales tax rate to the registration (if due) and that's about it. There were no other fees.
__________________
2014 Excel L34IKR, 2017 Ford F450
Steve R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 121
Good to know. I was under the impression there was additional taxes.
__________________

__________________
steveatpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
california, purchase



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.