Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #1

Hub lugs off center???

Has anyone ever run into this? Hopefully not.

After exhausting all other options and variables, I found that one of my hubs had the lugs improperly drilled off center. I tried contacting the manufacture but paying for shipping in both directions just to see if they will consider it their defect isn't cost effective for me. Its cheaper just to buy a replacement drum. But my concern is, how many people actually take the time to jack up their trailer and give their tires a good spin, potentially noticing if the wheel oscillates or not? Its bad enough keeping trailer tires from failing, but to have them hopping down the road unnecessarily would be helping.

Check out these video's I took. Take notice of the screen edges and how the wheel clearly moves off from center of the hub. And yes, I have tried multiple rims and tried mounting all lug holes just to be sure. All measurements show lug movement but everything else stationary.

Lugs off center - YouTube

Lugs off center 2 - YouTube

Lugs off center 3 - YouTube

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can you buy a replacement, and personally HAUL the original to the manufacturer along with the sales reciept for the replacement,, and a lawyer's business card.. Just the card, that's all (they pass those out free).

Sometimes that is the best way... I had a problem with this house and noticed that a factory visit was only 30 miles out of my way.. Problem solved. A later problem was only about a mile out of my way, Again problem solved.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #3

Well I'm glad you seeing the same thing I'm seeing..... Clearly the hub is defective.

I sent the same videos to the manufacture and their response was that they cant tell. So.....they want me to send the hub with postage prepaid in both directions and if the hub is bad then they'll send me a new one. Mighty white of them. The hub is six years old so I'm sure thats the reason for their answer, but I have to say that time should be irrelevant since age could never cause this problem. Its a manufacturing error.

The problem with sending the drum is that is they are located about 2500 miles from me and the postage is going to be a little more than just purchasing a local replacement hub from a different manufacture. Can I make a stink about it?.....probably, but I'm sure it will cost me far more than just accepting the issue and fixing it myself. At least I caught it at all.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #4

Pull your hub. Check the wear on the bearing, inner hub, and axel. It could be worn oblong. You also might want to pull another hub and switch them around. That way you will see if it is the hub or the axel that failed.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #5

Not a bad idea except that you'll see where I checked all clearances and the only thing thats out of spec is the lug positions.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #6

Did you try removing the studs maybe you'll get lucky and find that just the studs are bent.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Are you dealing with Dexter axles? If so, you'll probably find that a replacement hub is available at a local Dexter dealer at a very reasonable price. Barring that, it should be a simple matter to have a local machine shop redrill the hub with new stud holes.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peepsight View Post
Did you try removing the studs maybe you'll get lucky and find that just the studs are bent.
I thought that they were simply bent too but I measured their specs from the base and they're off.

Actually guys, trying to figure what my options were, I decided to replace it with a Lippert drum for about $45. I'm sure thats a lot cheaper than trying to have someone re-drill, if they even could.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #9

just replace it you have a piece of junk. here in so. cailfornia we have elmer dill on channel 9 he goes after companies that shine on their customers. you video is good and shows the movement. companies don't make everything perfect. in the 70"s chevy had some harmonic balancers with the same problem on their small blocks. had one that knocked out water pumps. took me a while to find the problem. congradulations on finding the problem. it's a bitch when a manufacturer won't admit their problem especially with your video
Old 10-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #10

Thank you. And I'm glad you feel that the videos told a true story. Actually I'm not sure how I could have faked it to do what its doing either. In saying that, even how evident it is, I kinda knew the company wouldn't have just popped a new drum in the mail. I just really didn't expect them to ask me to pay for shipping.....in both directions.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:05 PM   #11

something to check. i've seen in other posts that on the ford f-53 chassis they had wheels that were manufactured wrong. causing the same condition you have. that being said i'd go back to basics. remove the wheel and set up a indicaator (something standing up to see the out of roundness of studs when spun). if this spins true. next step spin the rims. last we have seen is the tires (which is not uncommon to be out of round) tire stores can (ouch $$$$, cutting off my tread) spin cut them true.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #12

went back to the video and clearly the outside of the rim is moving. tried to check the studs when spining from the video. (super hard) but those look like aftermarket rims. i'd take the rim off and video the studs turning (slowly) with an indicator point, then see what they say.