Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-18-2005, 07:51 PM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by melon:
Sean,

What are you in such a hurry to leave for any way, aren't you retired?

Rod </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now Rod! Do I look retired?! (Don't answer that!).

Our 'saving grace' was that the darn thing blew about 3 inches before being able to set it on the hitch- but I can tell ya that those 3 inches just about broke some backs as well as made some peeps huff & puff (me mainly!)...thank gawd I only had a tad to do at home.

Hey...and great news on the LE...I'm sure you'll be passing out cigars to all the neighbors tomorrow night! Just take you rtime on the PDI, and remember- you've got two years to get any inequities fixed- don't try to wrestle yourself- many more rounds to go.

Sean

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2005, 08:10 PM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:
You should have seen the group taking turns at the hand crank deal....thanks to all of those helped, otherwise (as FatDog said) he wudda've had to perform CPR on a whole bunch of us!!
Sean </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sean,

I'm thinking of fabricating a shaft with a key to
fit the manual gear head that I can run with
my 18 volt electric drill.

From what you describe, it looks like you need
some reasonable amount of torque.

I jury rigged one up for our Lance camper as
we didn't have the power heads. The drill worked
great and it eliminated the hand cranking.

Old 07-18-2005, 08:10 PM   #17

[QUOTE]

A thought Sean, since WW has made these trailers so much heavier you might want to check the capacity of your gear. Maybe they've overloaded it.

/[QUOTE]

Tommy!! Gosh...sure wish you coudda drove the 1000 miles to be there, but I know you're gettin ready for the NM trip...you know- you've got a great point- and it would be interesting if anyone else had the same problem. I hope you're right...maybe it's just a bum gearmotor, but you know- I liked my old coach where they were separately controlled. If you needed to run one up just a 'hair' you could do that. If I get any inking that they don't know the capacities, I'll just havta really slap 'em around 'til they do. I just hope Jason is still the Service Mgr out there- he owes me one!!

Sean
Old 07-18-2005, 08:12 PM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:

maybe it's just a bum gear motor Sean </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll bet that's exactly what it is.....
Old 07-18-2005, 08:14 PM   #19

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm thinking of fabricating a shaft with a key to
fit the manual gear head that I can run with
my 18 volt electric drill. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
that drill had better be a torquey little monkey, because lifting a 7 ton trailer with its geared motor locked up, aint something you want to do right after cleaning the dirt offa you in a long refreshening shower. Its a dirty job
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:20 PM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FatDog:

that drill had better be a torquey little monkey, because lifting a 7 ton trailer with its geared motor locked up, aint something you want to do right after cleaning the dirt offa you in a long refreshening shower. Its a dirty job </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike,

I've tried the manual option with the shaft
provided by WW.... it did not seem to offer much
resistance, just a lot of cranking turns.
Must be a fine toothed worm gear.

As with Sean's problem, was it more difficult to
crank because the motor was locked up or damaged... than it would be without motor problems?
Old 07-18-2005, 08:23 PM   #21

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...because lifting a 7 ton trailer with its geared motor locked up... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Howie,
i'm sure thats what it was. I cranked my FB2200 and it was a one man job. This last one was ... well... let me just say... it took more...
I think we're talking locked motor drive
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:26 PM   #22

Howie:

That drill has to have some brutal power to do that...either there's some nasty rubbing going on somewhere, or the gearing is about 300:1- which I'm sure the low speed ISN'T on a 18v drill. Had we been able to use a fulcrum and a spring scale, I'd bet that was all of about 300 ft lbs of torque required to move it whilst trying to go 'up'. Down wasn't really any easier.

I offered the same challenge to those who actually had to help me crank that booger up...how hard is it to get yours cranked up (now...I know that was just about the most loaded question I could ask, but... BE NICE! I'm sure you haven't used your drill in THAT manner )...

And Howie...have you spotted the fuse for that critter?

Sean
Old 07-18-2005, 08:27 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Yeap,I'm bettin its the motor but just in case...Da?m is it time for Moab yet. I'm starting to get ??????. The heck of it is I will only be a couple of hundred miles from there next week! Kinda makes you sick when you think about it, doesn't it.

I need to have a talk with my wife about her vacation plans, course she'd just tell me that if I had a problem She could just quit work. That would solve all the problems. God, I hate it when she's right! Work sucks!

The rest of you that are retired (retirded) are on my hit list.

One day!!!! Get the landing gear fixed and lets go Sean.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:41 PM   #24

Geeezz....Tommy:

You make it sound so easy!

OK! Let's just do it...I figger we're about even between Flagstaff and Farmington...name your potion and name your 'park'...(LG will be fixed in 'no time')...

And if you think I'm anywhere close to "retirded", well then...you're RIGHT! But then are YOU Tom! (No wonder we get along sooooooooooo welll...like two peas on a pod there buddy! [Klink]).

Sean
Old 07-18-2005, 09:17 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Oh man Sean, don't I wish. I can't get any further west than Datil, down on 60 or west mesa just west of Albuquerque unless I make a day trip with the truck going west. We just don't have enough time to do anything else. The wife has only a week so we do our deal in Datil and head up north so she can do her shopping and then head home. Suck deal! Its a shame to go that distance and have to go back so quickly but thats the way it works when you have to work. Appreciate the thought though.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 09:39 PM   #26

Tommy:

I was hopin' you'd bite....DARN!! Gotta throw in that "wife's got a week of Vaca thing", dont cha? I'd hate to think that Moab is our next best bet, but ok...have it your way, "Burger King"!

You darn kuncklehead!

Sean
Old 07-18-2005, 10:17 PM   #27

Howie:

how hard is it to get yours cranked up

And Howie...have you spotted the fuse for that critter?
Sean </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It really was not hard to crank mine manually,
that's why I was thinking of using an 18V drill
in low gear to operate it.

Tommorrow I'll see if I can find the fuse location.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:04 AM   #28

I took all the fuses out one at a time and still
didn't hit on the motor fuse. It probably should have a
30, maybe 40 amp fuse. If someone finds it let us
know.

Also, I put my hand around the gear motor and
it seems to be a little "woobley" rather than
being tightly bolted on. Maybe it is the design
to allow it to move or float as it operates?

Can anyone else validate this..... or do I need
to contact WW?