Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:13 PM   #15

We agree, looked at them all today and it was a tossup between cyclone and grand design momentum

Got a starter A-Frame and are loving the low commitment
ie2special is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #16
My wife and I looked at many makes and models and opted for a Voltage 3970.

2015 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Denali
2014 Voltage 3970 Epic III
MarksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:21 AM   #17
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
I was looking at Entegra Class A, no bunks. Then went to Forest River Berkshire/Charleston but not great reviews and we won't be taking many long pleasure trips, mostly weekend and staying put Full Timing during the week.

Other suggested 5th wheels but aside from DRV the nice ones didn't have bunks.

So on a lark I started looking at toy haulers and I am in LOVE with what Heartland and Grand Design have to offer!

The interior looks modern and the loft plus the garage give us tons of sleeping. Plus with a little one there is a TUB!!

Are there any others I should be looking at? Same quality or higher

(i will trade my Lincoln MKT for the truck to pull it)
We have looked at the Cyclones and liked them. Just recently looked at Jayco Seismics and really liked those also. I appreciate the reviews of Jayco as far as realiability and customer service over Heartland.
Greg, Jeri and Rocky, the Jack Russel Terrorist
jerik721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #18
Take a look the the Gulfstream Enduromax. Can get with bath and a half.
dogwood36322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:06 PM   #19
You do have other choices. Have you looked at the Evergreen Tesla yet? I was ready to buy the Voltage 3895 or the Cyclone 4100 or 4200 but kept finding they were both having many problems with the quality. The Cyclone is the most popular right now and as with any manufacturer to meet demand they are sacrificing quality. So be sure you have a good dealer! Besides the manufacturing QC issues, I learned they both have design quality problems too. I have a $35k HD Ultra Limited to haul and as an example the Voltage garage tie downs are terrible. They have been tearing out of many units and are only mounted to the plywood floor. So do your homework on how each unit is constructed...you will learn a lot!

The Evergreen Tesla has their tie downs mounted to the frame and rated for 6000 lbs. The die hard Voltage (rated for 2500 lbs.) owner I talked to spent $800 repairing his unit (he installed heavier tie downs and mounted them through the floor to the frame. I asked him why should anyone spend $80-$90k for something built so poorly and he didn't have an answer. So don't just settle for something "close" to what you want. I stumbled on the Evergreen Tesla...researched and then went and looked at one. In my opinion the Evergreen Tesla quality is far superior to the Voltage, Cyclone, Raptor, Momentum, and XLR. They are all nice units...if you don't keep having problems with one thing or another. But why buy something if you know before hand is having problems? The Evergreen Tesla 3950 comes with a dishwasher and they will install the larger residential fridge w/icemaker and larger freezer if you desire. The others won't do this. They are coming out with the 3914 next month...their 4th model. Also they include a "Denver Mattress" pillow top mattress, also standard along with convection microwave oven. Look at EVERYTHING...

Also if you want to spend a little more..DRV has just announced their redesigned their "Full House" toy hauler...top of the line...if its in your budget. The Tesla has the quality...but not as many models since they too are fairly new to the market (last 8 months)..and its in the same price range as the XLR...Cyclone...Voltage...and others.
What ever you decide on buy...have your dealer agree to letting you live in it for a couple of days on their premises so you can go through every system and fix any issues BEFORE you drive it off. That way they will take care of any issue promptly. After you leave it can take much longer. Good luck
suprdave1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:39 AM   #20
The Evergreen can only have better workmanship in it because everything I've seen from the pix is the same thing used in every other toy hauler.

It's all the same parts and pieces, only assembled differently. They didn't do away with the problematic Schwintek slide system, a gas refrigerator is just that, a Norcold or Dometic. No doubt an Atwood range also.

You get the drift, the only difference can be quality control and pride in workmanship. If that's not different then it's just another player in the industry.
sundancer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:02 AM   #21
Yes the workmanship...QC is better...some of the parts are the same..but not all. The whole framing system is all aluminum frame...as are the roof trusses. Insulation, sheathing systems is also different...more like the quality you see in the Continental or DRV. They offer an optional residential fridge which the dealer changed out for us and they also changed out the power converter. They installed the side by side fridge w/icemaker...and they provide a much higher quality mattress (standard) than the Cyclone...Momentum....Voltage...Fuzion...etc. So no they are not quite the same as "every other toy hauler"...and its VERY different than the other players in the industry...workmanship and materials. The Voltage I almost bought had a cheap mattress, and I was going to buy another mattress. The Dometic fridge couldn't be changed out to a residential fridge...and we couldn't add the after market Vesta dishwasher (cabinet not deep enough)...but thats not what turned me off. It was just the poorer construction. I didn't dig deep until I talked to someone that had to replace his garage tie downs that had torn out..then I started looking at everything. I found similar issues with the Cyclones as well..although their garage tie downs are much better than the Voltage. We spent $86k total...and no problems with the slide outs. The Tesla's are so new on the market not that much is known about them...but I will let you know if we start having problems with anything!
suprdave1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:44 PM   #22
We looked at them all and chose the Voltage 3600. What we really like is the rear patio ramp; a very nice feature. Plus ours has the half bath in the garage; great when guests are on board.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:59 PM   #23
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Plus ours has the half bath in the garage; great when guests are on board.
That is a nice feature - guests who shack up in the garage bed area can use that bathroom.
billandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:50 PM   #24
I would wait to purchase the truck until after I picked my rig. The difference in weights between rigs is more than enough to impact the truck you purchase. IMHO.
smarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:35 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Yes but if you are considering any of the 3 axle rigs, you will need a DRW. If you get a current DRW from any of the Big 3, you can tow any 5th wheel on the market.
Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:43 PM   #26
Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Some tri axle rigs have less pin weight then tandem axle rigs. Especially when load with toys in the garage. But I agree a DRW would be best.

chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel