Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2014, 10:45 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
I can't stay away from 5th Wheel Toy Haulers

I was looking at Entegra Class A, no bunks. Then went to Forest River Berkshire/Charleston but not great reviews and we won't be taking many long pleasure trips, mostly weekend and staying put Full Timing during the week.

Other suggested 5th wheels but aside from DRV the nice ones didn't have bunks.

So on a lark I started looking at toy haulers and I am in LOVE with what Heartland and Grand Design have to offer!

The interior looks modern and the loft plus the garage give us tons of sleeping. Plus with a little one there is a TUB!!

Are there any others I should be looking at? Same quality or higher

Thanks!!

(i will trade my Lincoln MKT for the truck to pull it)
ie2special is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2014, 10:59 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
check out Excel's Wild Cargo line. This is a luxury upscale/full time toy hauler.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:59 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
While you were looking at DRV products, did you happen to notice their Full House toy haulers?

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:38 PM   #4

Dutchman builds a decent toy hauler, the Voltage. Forest River has the XLRs also. Then there's the Cyclone by Heartland.

All of them are pretty much the same and geared toward the family with the numerous TVs, four door refrigerators, entertainment centers and built in vacuum systems.
sundancer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:14 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
DRV and Excel are several steps above Heartland, Forest River and Thor if you are looking fro higher quality.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:58 PM   #6

DRV is my favorite though I have not seen them in person.

I didn't find an Excel floor plan for me :(

I like some of the Voltage ones but we have fallen in Love with the Heartland pictures and floor plans.

I can't find anyone near us that has the Cyclone 4200 in stock that we love!

We also like the road warrior 415 and have even found some new 2013 models.

Now we have to make the decision, get the truck, then get the rig!
ie2special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:37 PM   #7

I know this thread is a bit old, but thought I'd jump in anyway. The Excel Wild Cargo is fully customizable. Any floor plan you can dream up they can build. Peterson builds everything onsite from the frame to the furniture, so they can make changes to anything. Just fyi.
Toys2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toys2 View Post
I know this thread is a bit old, but thought I'd jump in anyway. The Excel Wild Cargo is fully customizable. Any floor plan you can dream up they can build. Peterson builds everything onsite from the frame to the furniture, so they can make changes to anything. Just fyi.
Ah, but why does it take a customer request to do things they should be doing in the first place? Case in point, their living room configuration is far behind much of the competition with regard to TV viewing comfort. That alone disqualifies them in my book. If they're willing to move things around, they should show that. No different than they do for the bath layout options.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #9

I understand your point, but I was only trying to point out you can have a different floor plan with the Wild Cargo if you want it. They used to offer two different lengths and many floor plans, but the demand was low and/or people changed them around anyway, not sure. They aren't built like the cookie-cutter toyhaulers you find hundreds of in dealerships, that's all.
Toys2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:14 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
dbear,
There is a way around the TV viewing comfort in the Wild Cargo. The 42" flat panel is mounted on a pullout swivel mount and the recliners are swivel bases so you just turn the chairs and TV and face directly at it. No sideways neck turning that way and very comfortable.
Toys2,
As you mentioned many things can be changed rearranged to your liking in the Wild Cargo. Some people are not aware that there are a few RV companies out there that actually custom build to "your" spec. I am looking at new units right now and three are on my list and all are custom builders. Excel / New Horizons / Continental Coach, these companies just don't put out 20 models with multiple floor plans at 200K each. You order what you want including things many other cookie cutter builders wouldn't even consider right down to slide placement and size to the length and size of rooms and how many rooms you want. But they're not cheap!
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #11

Howdy!

We did a lot of research and the Cyclone 4000 elite won out. Waiting on it to be delivered now.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
Howdy! We did a lot of research and the Cyclone 4000 elite won out. Waiting on it to be delivered now. "Happy Trails" Chiefneon
Please update when you get it
Old 03-29-2014, 05:53 AM   #13

You won't be dissapointed with heartland brand.
I have the RW415 and think it is great quality.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
Howdy!

We did a lot of research and the Cyclone 4000 elite won out. Waiting on it to be delivered now.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
Curious why the Cyclone / Heartland brand. Was it just configuration, or was it build quality? We're still doing research.

Tags
5th wheel